Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/10/2003 6:38:20 AM EDT
I had heard of these before and then forgot about them.  I saw one on another board for sale.  Seems to me, based on near zero knowledge of polymers, that someone could offer an 80% lower that would be much easier to complete than the aluminum.  Any ideas?

If I were so inclined, what kind of polymer stock could be milled and still stand up to the regular use?

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#1]
No responses so far with quite a few views.  If I find out anything about this topic, I will post here.  Meanwhile, I am still looking for information.  Thanks.  dwj
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Cavalry Arms lowers are made of some sort of nylon.  I am sure it says on their website.  ABS would be good too.  Both nylon and ABS are termoplastics, which means they can be recycled.  So if you had a mold and proper equipmetn, you could injection mold your own lowers. Fast, easy, and cheap.  Disposable and burnable too, if that gets your attention.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#3]
A complex mold, such as for an AR type lower receiver, could easily cost $200,000, or more.  An injection molding machine, about a cool million.

ABS is crappy plastic, and chips and cracks too easily.  The material Cavalry Arms uses is far superior to ABS.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fast, easy, and cheap.  Disposable and burnable too, if that gets your attention.
View Quote

This was the main part.  The key.  You could cut one out of plexiglass and bolt it together if you wanted too.  If you needed one and it only had to last for a few dozen rounds, which is an extremely conservative estimate, it would work.  An AR lower holds the pins and the upper, which isn't that hard of a job.  If you wanted, you could make a lower out of wood.  I don't know how long fire control would be right, but as far as strength goes, it would work.  Just don't butt stroke anyone or use it as a bat and it would be a real firing gun.

As fair as injection molding being expensive, yeah it is if you are talking about something as big and complex as a CavArms lower.  But, if you redesign the lower into small, puzzle-piece parts that have easily machined molds, you could do the parts on a home injection setup.  Again not the best thing, but if you [i]NEEDED[/i] one, and it was the only way, it would do.

The Sten wasn't a great subgun, but it was cheap, and it did the job.  That is why it was a success.  If you have nothing, then almost anything will do.  No, it wouldn't be as good as a machined forging, but it would do.  If you free your mind and allow yourself to get away from some preconceptions, like standard pushpins, typical looking receivers, thinkness here, thiness here and just let yourself think of a design which just [i]WORKS[/i] and just plain does it with no frills, you can do that.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top