Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2003 2:00:45 PM EDT
I tried posting this question on the barrels, etc. forum with no luck, so I moved it here.

I realize that a barrel and bolt set up for 7.62x39 are required, but what else is needed?
Would the A2 buffer be OK? As far as magazines go, would a different follower be needed, or an entirely different magazine?
Thanks, HarryD

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#1]
i think you can use a .223 mag but only load 4-5 rounds of the 7.62

there are mags that are specifically for the 7.62, the usa mags work the best.

i have gathered this info off this site.
good luck,hope this helps
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
i think you can use a .223 mag but only load 4-5 rounds of the 7.62

there are mags that are specifically for the 7.62, the usa mags work the best.

i have gathered this info off this site.
good luck,hope this helps
View Quote

Actually you can use 6-8rds on a Colt or Adventureline 20rd mag.  These are better to use because the follower will tilt to a certain extent.  Not so with a 30 rounder especially with a green follower.  YMMV with each mag.  

[b]HarryD[/b], you are good to go on the A2 buffer.  I have a Colt M4 stock with the "H" buffer on my Colt 7.62x39 preban and it functions flawlessly.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, I knew that someone had to have the info on this set-up.
Very interesting in the magazines.  I might be able to use some of my 20s, but all of my 30s have been updated w/ green followers (I saved the black ones, so I might try to re-fit a few).
Also interesting on the USA 7.62x39 magazines to work well, as they don't have a good reputation in 5.56/.223!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, I knew that someone had to have the info on this set-up.
Very interesting in the magazines.  I might be able to use some of my 20s, but all of my 30s have been updated w/ green followers (I saved the black ones, so I might try to re-fit a few).
Also interesting on the USA 7.62x39 magazines to work well, as they don't have a good reputation in 5.56/.223!
View Quote

Yup, that was just about the "only" mag that USA Magazines made that was worth buying.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top