Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2003 10:11:53 AM EDT
Thinking about building a 9mm upper, anyone know who makes and where to get the adapter that accepts the sten mags???
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Olympic style, or Colt style?

Olympic style already has an adapter available.  [url]http://www.socommfg.com/9adapt.htm[/url]
It uses UNMODIFIED Sten magazines, and has a separate paddle mag release.

If you're wanting to do the Colt style, some people (myself included) are working on getting a Sten mag adapter into production.  See the following thread: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=136191&w=myTopicPop[/url]
It uses standard Sten mags, with a notch cut into them for the mag release.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#2]
WOW
Thanks Gloftoe just what I was looking for, but did not realize there was such a large discussion on it.
Still reading the one piece (colt Style)thread,
is there suppose to be a major advantage???
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The only advantages to the one piece is that it holds in a bit better.  My mag block set is held in with set screws, and the front and back blocks are separate (we're looking into better retention systems).  Sten mags won't work with a 1 piece block, that I've seen.  The Sten mags are too wide at the top (with that steel skin wrapped around them), so there's no room for the "side" pieces of a one-piece block.  Someone was trying to solve this problem, but I dunno what the progress is on it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Gloftoe is right.  A single piece block in a 'standard' AR mag well can not be done like the traditional single piece blocks for the notched uzi/factory Colt mags.  Stens are way to wide and removing the outside steel is a legal 'grey' area.

Quarterbore added a page to his website for the Sten adapter.  [url]http://quarterbore.com/ar15m16/colt2stenmags.html[/url].

It's bascially the Word text file that I have been emailing out to people when they as for it.

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:44:09 AM EDT
[#5]
After reading all the work needed on A JRW is there any drawbacks fom just using the Socom??
(Not that I could not do the modifications)
Thanks again
Peter
(nothing like get answers from the guys that have pioneered this at ARFCOMM)[:)]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:46:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Peter, I have the Oly 9mm and Socom block and tons of Sten mags and I love it, only problem that I have is when you have to stop and reload mags, that thing is hungry. Enjoy
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
After reading all the work needed on A JRW is there any drawbacks fom just using the Socom??
(Not that I could not do the modifications)
Thanks again
Peter
(nothing like get answers from the guys that have pioneered this at ARFCOMM)[:)]
View Quote

Nah, no real drawbacks.  We did this mod so that we could use low-priced magazines, with the Colt 9mm system.  I personally like the Colt system better, because of the mag release issue.  If I'm shooting an AR, I want to hit the AR mag release.  Colt's is the only one that will do that, if you want to pay thru the nose for magazines.  Sten mags are cheap, plentiful, and now work with the Colt style 9mms.

And full-clip has it right.  Loading those Sten mags SUCKS.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, look at it this way, someone using the Sten block and Socom can use the same mags.  Different type of retention, but will work in both...

The only draw back right now is there is no one making a dedicated block and notching the Stens.  It's a great idea, as the notched Stens will work w/ the Socom also.  And in the Sten gun too (for those who own a semi auto Sten or a registered full auto).

A quick way to load Stens- get a dowel to push the follower down.  Stick an allen wrench into one of the holes in the back to hold down the follower.  Put the ammo in the mag...fill it up.  When full, remove allen wrench.  Mag full.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#9]
YOU GUYS ARE TO MUCH  [devil]
From practical to technical (mods)  have found more info and decided how to go in just two days. [:)]
( i am cheap ) Socom for $65.00 works for Now.
I really enjoyed all the reading on how to modify The JRW block and will probably do that after I get a cheap system up and firing.

ARFCOMM is the best all around!!!
Peter

(edit)Qustion has come up as to where or who you are getting your barrels from -- thought I had that covered but that changed quick once the project started coming together!!
[have a complete lower that can be dedicated to 9mm, upper is a flat top A3 style, think/hope the bolt carrier asembly is on the way, will order the Socom adapter (for now) what am I missing???]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:54:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Peter you missed mags, Tapco's got them.Are you putting this thing together from bare bones.
Now as for loading the sten mags this is what I do and it works great. Get you a dowel rod that will fit in the mag opening, now push the follower down until it bottoms out, now insert a allen wrench to retain the follower, tilt mag to about 45 degrees and start dropping your ammo into the mag, when its full remove allen wrench, insert into rifle. You are now ready to rock & roll 9mm style, you are going to love it!

Well now if I had read all the replys I would have saved alot of typing, what Kaliburz said.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top