Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/4/2003 1:52:51 AM EDT
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting here. This site was recomended to me by some guys from Frugal Squirrel's webpage.

I have a postban Colt AR with removable carry handle, I want to mount a scope to the flattop(ideally quick detach) which company makes a good mount that will allow me to clear the factory front sight? will a pair of high rings solve this problem? The scope I will be using is a Leupold vari-x II 3-9power. Will a high magnification scope make the front sight seem invisible if the scope does not totally clear it? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Code Red
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:37:29 AM EDT
I'm using an Armalite 1-piece scope mount. Puts the scope about 1/8" lower than the iron sights, and allows it to be mounted a little more forward than regular rings. Best price I've seen is from [url=http://www.quanticoarms.com/armalite/armaliteParts.htm]Quantico Arms[/url]. The Armalite mount has thumbscrews and returns to zero really well. If you want faster detach then go with one of the throw-lever mounts from [url=http://www.armsmounts.com/list.html]ARMS[/url] like their #22 rings. They say anything above about 4x makes the front sight invisible. Might be a little bit of a shadow, but only if you're looking for it. I have a milled front sight on mine so no I don't see it. If you're really concerned you can get one of the RRA or DPMS one-piece mounts. They're about 3/8" higher than the Armalite and will put any shadow from the front sight lower in the scope's view. (You lose some of the forward positioning though.)
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:48:00 PM EDT
Thank you for the info, I will probably try the rings with the lever release. Code Red
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:22:14 PM EDT
Just make sure you can get the scope far enough forward with the rings on the receiver. I don't know how long the eye-relief on the VX-II is, but apparently that's an issue with some scopes. (FWIW, I didn't have any trouble with the Weaver V16 in rings on mine before I switched to the Armalite mount to get higher.)
Top Top