Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/29/2003 4:23:44 AM EDT
I've decided to finally get started on my project AR. My birthday/anniversary/Father's Day is coming up, so I've asked the wife to get me started with a lower. I've been shopping around a bit, but really haven't decided on a brand yet. I'm kinda leaning towards RRA. I've found their stripped lowers as low as $95.00, but then I checked the Oly site. They offer a MATCHED lower and upper (both stripped) at around $200.00. I have pondered BM and Armalite (Eagle Arms, since Armalite won't sell their brand name lowers stripped) as well, but right now, these are the two that I'm looking at.

I guess my big dilema is...is the matched set really going to make that big of a difference when all is said and done and are the Oly parts (both forged, not their cast parts) up to par with the others? I hear both good and bad about them. On the positive side, I do read that they are machined to VERY tight tolerances...sometimes almost too tight. For my purposes, the tighter, the better! I decided to do this so I could piece it together one step at a time, with exactly what I want in it. Otherwise, I've heard nothing but praise for RRA and the price is unbeatable!

This isn't going to be built for tactical use, but more for long range paper punching/varmint/bench shooting. Planning along the lines of a 20"HB, free floated, flat top, optics, NM 2 stage trigger, tactical grip with BM's "Hook" style buttstock. I've already got a department issued M-16 (converted to semi...OF COURSE!)for my duty tactical rifle. This is MY toy!

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? I'm open for all.

Eric
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:07:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/29/2003 5:11:41 AM EDT by libertyman777]
Here's what I plan to do, you might like it. I'm going to purchase a RRA NM lower from Kentucky Arms for $259 and then send the lower to Mr. Holliger to work the trigger. The trigger job is not listed on his website but I believe that he will work a RRA NM two stage trigger for around $30. I've heard good things about his work and a buddy of mine has had one done by him, shoots real sweet. Here's some links: [url]http://www.alccrl.org/whiteoak/whiteoak.html[/url] [url]http://www.kyarms.com/[/url] Good luck! L'man[marines]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:58:31 AM EDT
You might consider an Eagle Arms (Armalite) lower. They closely match any top-end I've seen and the fit & finish is impeccable. They can be found for as low as $95; I paid $129 for mine at a local gun shop---and would have paid more, given the quality of the piece.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:04:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/29/2003 6:07:08 AM EDT by John_the_Bruce]
MO770, You can't go wrong here. Just get the cheapest forged lower you can find. They're all good, from what I've read. Although my brother's Oly has a tight mag well that causes some USGI mags to hang-up and not drop free. (Sometimes tighter isn't better.) Oly will loosen it up for you free of charge per their lifetime warrantee program, however. Personally, I went with a couple of EA stripped lowers back when Quantico Arms was running a $90/ea special. They run it, without limits, from time to time. The EA piece is a super-high quality forging in my opinion. -John
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:15:10 AM EDT
Get a forged lower, no matter what you do.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:33:17 AM EDT
Where did you guys see lowers for 95 bucks? The best I saw was quantico arms, and they were 100 and out of stock.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:17:58 AM EDT
MO770, We're about in the same boat except my birthday was a month ago[:D]. When my wife & kids asked what I wanted for our anniversary & Father's Day, I got that gleam in my eye and they knew it was somehow firearm/hunting related. I have pretty much settled on the Eagle Arms lower, but like whoopie said Quantico Arms is currently out of stock. I also like your other choices except I'll probably go with an A2 instead of the flat top. On a side note, this place is completely addictive! wannatikka
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:34:32 AM EDT
You should check out the Mega (Stinger Arms) lowers that Clinton is selling on the EE. The sell for $89 and he also has Mega uppers too! I bought two and they are, by far, the nicest lowers I own --> (Colt, Bushmaster, Eagle Arms, Oly).
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:30:22 AM EDT
Go with the Stinger or Mega lowers. Excellent quality. Great fit and finish. I have built 2 and have 3 more waiting for their RRA NM kits.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:49:47 AM EDT
I found the RRA parts at www.sableco.net while doing a web search on Rock River Arms. They've got the forged RRA lowers listed at $95.00. Before that, I was hitting the company home sites. RRA listed their lowers around $120. Olympic, I think was about the same, except that Olympic also listed a matched set (upper and lower) for around $200-$210. Armalite's catalog has their Eagle Arms brand for around $140, I think...don't have the book in front of me at this moment. I'm thinking that I saw a BM lower in a wholesaler's catalog to a dealer for about $160...give or take a few. Eric
Top Top