Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2003 12:02:01 PM EDT
Anyone ever done this before?

I'm seriously thinking of purchasing an Armalite with a fiberglass free float tube. Can I drill holes in the fiberglass tube to attatch rails? Sort of a poor mans PRI tube. I'm concered that the fiberglass would fracture, but I think it would work so long as I put some epoxy on the raw edges after drilling.

Good Shooting
Red
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:13:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/28/2003 12:15:00 PM EDT by Halfcocked]
Yes. I added about a 12" rail at the 10 o'clock position so I could adjust my sling "on the fly" so to speak. I used 4, rounded, allen head screws and put washers behind them. I put the washers on an anvil and gave them a curve as close the inside of the tube as possible. I filed down a socket (forget what size screws I used, maybe something like 3/16s) to fit in the tube and used a piece of pipe as an extension top get the nuts on. File the socket down until the nut is flush with the top. It works until someone starts making a free floated hand guard with rails for the AR10.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:03:38 PM EDT
Thanks for the info! I was hoping someone had done this before. I'm thinking of more along the line of one long rail installed on the bottom for a "track" to move the bipod back and forth on. That way I can balance the rifle on the bipod or move the bipod in when shooting from places where having it in the forward sling position isn't the most practical. Now for a source of rails and screws. Good Shooting Red
Top Top