Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/25/2003 6:08:40 AM EDT
I see all the discussion on 80% AR lowers and I was just currious about the 1911 lowers.  I think the AR lower is a bit much for my skill level and would like to try some thing smaller or easier first.  Any one finish one and was it difficult to do?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to the link below & read up. Alot of good info in what you need to do. As far as hard I haven't got into one yet but William from the tannery shop finished one with just hand files & some guys have done em with a dremmel tool. So go look around and enjoy.

[url]www.roderuscustom.tzo.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I have done a couple of 1911s.  The gunsmithing is harder than the actual machining of the frame slide rails.  

The first one I did I kinda screwed up and machined  one of the rails oversize, but the gun stll works fine.  I am thinking of welding the rail shut and re-cutting.

On the second I am debating what to do about the finish.  I really like the dark black park I see on some commercial 1911s (Springfield comes to mind).  I am thinking parking first and then trying a homemade hot blue to blacken the park job... although maybe I am just being too anal about the final color.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#3]
since i aint that good with gunsmithing(putting it together) if i cut the rails could i have someone else install the parts???
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Just generally, and for those of us who don't osn a 1911, how difficult is the gunsmithing that needs to be done other than the rails.

Could you outline the tasks that will / could be "tough?"

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Things like fitting parts... barrel, bushing and and link, installing sights, grinding, stoning and sandings stuff like trigger well, hammer slot, parts of the slide, exterior of the frame.  Also, you can run into problems with the trigger group, especially if you don't buy top of the line parts.

This is real gunsmithing, not AR15 'slap it together' buids where everything pretty much goes together and fits.  

It ain't brain surgery but you have to know what you are doing and be patient.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
since i aint that good with gunsmithing(putting it together) if i cut the rails could i have someone else install the parts???
View Quote

I think so, as long as the frame is 100% complete.  Finding a gunsmith who would work on someones homemade 80% casting build is another story.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top