Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2003 4:15:53 AM EDT
I have been offered a receiver that a machinist friend carved out of billit.  It doesn't have any serial number and I'm not certain when it was made.  Would it be legal to build a rifle on it?

Thanks

Hoppy
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:57:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Is he [b]giving[/b] or [b]selling[/b] it to you?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is he [b]giving[/b] or [b]selling[/b] it to you?
View Quote

Quote " I've got a couple, want one to build a rifle on?".

I'll have to nail him down on this.  There's room for a misunderstanding.  I'm hopin' it's a freebe. :-)

Hoppy
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#3]
It's my understanding, IIRC, while building up 80% lowers is legal, transfering/selling the lower from the "builder" to a third party, the lower should have some type of serial number on it prior to the transfer or sellin of said lower.

Interesting aside:
I have a 80% lower, which I built well before the AWB, (like mid 1982). This lower has no makings at all and my delima is that I was unaware that I needed to document when I built the lower, (only found out about this after I began posting/reading here). Hence I am now the owner of self-built "pre-ban" lower receiver, with no markings and no way to prove I built it prior to the AWB, save except for some reciepts for the lower parts kit and stock, which probably is NOT good enough for the alphabet boys...

This is somewhat of a bummer, any suggestions?

Mike
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have been offered a receiver that a machinist friend carved out of billit.  It doesn't have any serial number and I'm not certain when it was made.  Would it be legal to build a rifle on it?

Thanks

Hoppy
View Quote

Yes, serial numbers are not required for "homebuilts", they are only a requirement for a manufacturer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Mr Wilson,
Regarding your pre-ban, who's checking anyway? The BATF has better things to do. Besides, if they want your head on a pole, you could have your photo with the rifle and Pope Pius XII and they would still have your head on a pole. Look at poor David Kerish...
Regarding serial numbers, Notack is correct; you don't need any on a home built. But, the BATF recomends you mark the firearm distinctively so it can be identified in case it is lost or stolen. I suggest all home builders invent some kind of number and put it on. Try explaining to Barney at 2AM that you built it yourself and it dosn't need a serial number. I use my old NRA number with -1, -2 etc.
I just anodized my second lower today and it came out nice!
Regards, Ray
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:44:47 AM EDT
[#6]
[b]I have been offered a receiver that a machinist friend carved out of billit. It doesn't have any serial number and I'm not certain when it was made. Would it be legal to build a rifle on it?[/b]

I'm no expert, but I asked a similar question in the past.  The consensus I got was that you had to finish/build the lower receiver yourself.  My question was could I buy some 80% lowers and have a machinist friend of mine finish them up.  I got lots of no,no,no's.

FWIW, IMHO, I would consult the legal section before I took possession and built up a rifle.

[b]Regarding your pre-ban, who's checking anyway? The BATF has better things to do.[/b]

They may have better things to do, but why risk loosing everything over an unclear and obscure law.  Last summer, I had 2 pistols confiscated because I was sitting in a state park parking lot after dark talking on a phone.  Probable cause for the search was that they saw targets in my back seat.  4 days later my weapons were returned, but it was a real eye opener.  If I had possessed an ar15 with questionable origins I absolutely know things would have gotten real ugly real fast.

[url=users.zoominternet.net/~pcfitz]P.I.G.S.[/url]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#7]
If I machined two of them, couldn't I give one away?

Hoppy
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
No.

Read this.

[url=http://www.ktordnance.com/index2.html]KT Ordnance[/url]

[url=users.zoominternet.net/~pcfitz]P.I.G.S.[/URL]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top