Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/22/2003 5:42:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2003 5:56:10 PM EDT by Feedingcannibal]
Finally got the sonofabitch together last night. Built almost completely by me - had the lower together a few days ago, got the uppper together last night.

First round goes off fine. Then nothing. Bullet didn't feed correctly.

Do the SPORTS, fire another round. Then nothing - case stuck in chamber.

Fire another round. Another failure to feed.

Didn't want to fire anymore last night for fear of the neighbors!

Noticed some scratches on the bullets that I ejected - on the bullet itself, not the case.

The bullets feed & eject quite well when manually chambering them via the charging handle.

Could the bolt/carrier/chamber need some "break in" in order to function properly (kinda' like pistons in an engine)?

Perhaps it was too dry - I did not lube before test firing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Anxiously awaiting to get the f*** out of work and test my new toy some more.

PS

I followed all directions re: barrel tourque, etc. that I could find after alot of research here. Everything went together very well, as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:55:17 AM EDT
PSS Checked headspace with a Go gauge; all appeared fine. Did not notice scratches on subsequent rounds manually ejected as I noticed on the first several rounds. [?] [?] [?]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:59:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Feedingcannibal: Finally got the sonofabitch together last night. Built almost completely by me - had the lower together a few days ago, got the uppper together last night. First round goes off fine. Then nothing. Bullet didn't feed correctly. Do the SPORTS, fire another round. Then nothing - case stuck in chamber. Fire another round. Another failure to feed. Didn't want to fire anymore last night for fear of the neighbors! Noticed some scratches on the bullets that I ejected - on the bullet itself, not the case. The bullets feed & eject quite well when manually chambering them via the charging handle. Could the bolt/carrier/chamber need some "break in" in order to function properly (kinda' like pistons in an engine)? [red]Perhaps it was too dry - I did not lube before test firing.[/red] Any thoughts would be appreciated. Anxiously awaiting to get the f*** out of work and test my new toy some more. PS I followed all directions re: barrel tourque, etc. that I could find after alot of research here. Everything went together very well, as far as I can tell.
View Quote
I would start there first.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:13:49 AM EDT
Perhaps it was too dry - I did not lube before test firing.
View Quote
Thanks for the quick reply. I had thought of this, and am hoping that it will be a quick & easy cure. Seems like the AR should be able to function dry, however; I've heard many people advise to leave the rifle quite dry as lubrication can attract dirt, dust, etc. - ?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:19:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2003 7:21:14 AM EDT by Halfcocked]
Besides lubing everything else put one drop on the gas rings at the back of the bolt. Make sure the slots are all staggered. Work the bolt in and out of the carrier. It should be smooth in and out. PS What part of the Mit do you live in?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:23:30 AM EDT
I believe I checked the gas rings to ensure that they were staggered, but did not lub them. The bolt is tight in the carrier, so I was thinking that perhaps it needs to "seat" itself, such as a piston. Thanks for the thoughts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:15:07 AM EDT
not clear. Was it a failure to feed, or a failure to eject?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:54:58 PM EDT
Little of both - several FTF, one failure to extract. BUT, I just got back from the range where I went through about 120 rounds without a single hickup. Lubrication did it all! Thanks for all the help guys. Funny, with my old AR I had difficutly feeding rounds if I packed the magazine to its full 30 round capacity (first few rounds would only feed half way). No such problems now.
Top Top