Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 7:39:02 AM EDT
I am looking to get a small sandblasting cabnet to allow me to work on smaller pieces perhaps upto the size of an AR-15 barrel or a Barreled action and smaller auto parts. I have been looking for a used unit and this is proving to be a challange...

I would like to get a cabnet that recycles the sand or other media for me while working. I have an old gas-powered compressor but I will buy a new electric compressor once I get a feeling for just how much air I need to run the cabinet.

Can someone give me some advise on where would be a good place to buy one of these? Can someone provide some advise on what is or is-not a good item? Also, I have wondered if it would be reasonable to build my own cabinet with a pressure pot to provide the blasting as this would allow me to work on larger items (I have a pair of 1967 Mustang Convertibles that I am working to restore). As always, I am afraid to go that route as I already have too many projects to justify building my own cabinet.

I like the description of Klutch's unit but that is just too far away.. jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=91&t=163231

Thanks for any advise!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:35:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/20/2003 10:40:31 AM EDT by Dano523]
[img]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/01600-01699/01672.gif[/img] [url]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=1672 [/url] or [url]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/headsearch.taf?function=Search[/url] To make it work with a barreled action, just drill a hole in the side that will allow you to stick part of it out side (rubber plug when not used). It really helps to drill a hole/add a shop Vac adapter in the back/top corner and add a shop Vac when you are blasting. The negative air flow keeps the dust down and lets you see what your doing. Also, the plastic units seem to last a lot longer than the steel type, which get peened and burnt they over time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:00:21 PM EDT
I have the stand up version of the one above. It's about 5' tall, & 41/2' wide. I got it from Harbor Freight too. It was on sale a few years ago for $199.00. It's been the best investment to my car restorations yet, and it has thousands of other uses. The only draw back is my compressor. You need to have volume if you want it to really work. I can use mine for about 4 minutes before I have to stop and wait for it to build up. My tank is a 35 gallon, get one bigger!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:24:34 AM EDT
That red Harbor Freight unit already has a hole for a vac hookup. Only problem with this unit is the seams/bolts have gaps so the media will come out; nothing that duct tape won't fix. Biggest challenge is getting a compressor with big enough CFM. Smaller tanks or low HP units just don't have enough reserve and the compressor will be running none stop.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:31:14 PM EDT
If you want to blast anything long like a barrel, those bench top units will need to cut a hole in each end. Even if you can fit the barrel in, it is difficult to blast the ends. Don't ask me how I know this. I bought one of those $90 wonders on ebay and with a couple of modifications it works very well with coarse glass bead. I modified their media syphon and replaced the plexiglass lid with a 1/4" thick steel plate with a 3 x 5 oval hole to look through. I clamp a piece or regular glass over the hole and discard it when it gets foggy. The peal-off sheets that came with it lasted about 2 minutes each. Regards, Ray
Top Top