Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2003 5:13:44 PM EDT
I am new to this forum, and have just purchased my first kit. I ordered a 16" CAR kit from J & T, ordered it Thursday and received it Saturday! Great service! The kit looks great, fit and finish is excellent. However, while I was cleaning the barrel, I noticed what looks like a burr in the barrel where the gas port hole was drilled. I can feel it with a bore brush and a jag. Is this something I should be concerned about? Will it shoot out or should I call J&T? Also, the barrel is marked Doublestar, are these as good as Shaw?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you actually see a burr or just can tell where the Gas port is?

I can feel it on every gas ported weapon I have M1, M1A, AR10, AR-15s, etc.

Run a patch through it and if you have a snag or threads pulling off you deffinately have a problem.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi M-Chet
I asked the same question last week. I too bought a J&T kit.
Like you I thought the assembly was smooth.
But when I went to clean the gun before going to the range I could not get the cleaning rod through the bore.
There was a hole inside with a hanging burr.
I didn't know it was a gas port. I thought iot was a hole from the front site that was drilled too deep and went thru the barrel.
The guys here said not to worry about it and today I went shooting.
after a couple of shots it was gone.
I only shot two boxes of shells and whenb I cleaned it tonight the patches were ok.
You can forget that burr is there and shoot away bud.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it looks like a small piece of metal, from where the gas port was drilled. I have run the bore brush thru it some more, and its smaller now, but still there.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#4]
My J&T had this also; shoot a few rounds through it and it will disappear.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:03:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Just shoot it out, kinda like using a high speed deburring tool.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:47:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Just another of the small reasons these AR makers don't make it to the top tier of AR quality. This is something not quite so prevalent on Colts, Bushmasters and Armalite rifles, as in ones I've owned and seen, especially ones w/ high end LR barrels, gas port is smooth and have no burrs.

BTW, that burr just don't dissappear, it scars the bullet, gets pinned between the bullet and the bore, scatching the lands on it's exit, and in bad cases can nick projectile so bad as to cause insability in flight. True this is the extreme of "what can happen", but now ya know why there is a grading system for the quality of ARs.

Mike
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top