Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/15/2003 1:08:00 PM EDT
Just wondering...

what kind of AOW's can be built (or purchased) on AR lower? I read a tacked thread of FAQ's about NFA and such, but would like to see some examples.

I've seen AR pistols. Can one have an AR with a 10 inch barrel, pistol buffer tube, and front grip? Just wondering how creative one can get with an AOW.

i apologize in advance if this question seems ridiculous...i'm still a little green.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:24:44 PM EDT
Nawww, good question that alot of people may not know about. Find a class 2 licensed SOT in your area. A guy who can make machine guns and silencers. Some people callem class 3 FFL dealers. They can sell you or convert your lower to an AOW registered lower, (that has never been and is intended not to be attached to a stock). Put a pistol upper on it, but before you mount the upper to it be sure you put the second grip on it in such a way it would require tools to remove or youre in trouble. Its a $5 transfer fee from the class 2 dude. There are limitations to total weapon size min/max, and such. But other than that almost anything goes. I am building one right now. Getting my class 2 guy to put a lower parts kit with a polished trigger/sear mesh in my MEGA lower, and transfer it to me as an AOW. Then I just order a nice pistol kit and a vertical foregrip and bolt it on the freefloat handgaurd. If you dont like the buffer tube sticking out the back, chaeck out Olympics OA-93. The buffer tube is on top. Its like $600, but that includes everything but the lower and a second grip. I am prob gonna use a normal baton style tactical grip, but I may use a second A-2 grip to match the main. I got the ATF particulars from their website.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:27:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/15/2003 10:30:30 PM EDT by 700308]
Hey stuporman, I was wondering who your calss 2 dealer is? I live in La as well and was considering building an aow or purchasing a professional ordnance pistol. There isn't a huge abundance of class 2 or 3 dealers in my area.[pyro]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:24:33 AM EDT
thanks for the answers, you've really helped. would you be able to use 30 round mags? and what about having a one point sling on it, to make it a little more shootable?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:38:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/16/2003 5:55:19 AM EDT by Quarterbore]
I can't get into details or do the search for you but do a search for my username "Quarterbore" and look at many of my various posts about AOWs and AR pistols over the past 6-months or more! You have MANY options as anything that isn't a pistol or rifle is an AOW... How about an AR-15 in a toolbox or briefcase? Perhaps an AR-15 walking stock? I always thought an AR-15 mounted to a robot might be cool but that might be really tough to get approved? How about an AR-15 built into a sled or skis? How about an AR-15 BOOM box? Yea, I am teasing a little but as I said, anything that isn't a pistol or rifle is an AOW! The AOW world has LOTS of options that I don't think people have really looked at much! Most people go with the vertical grip but there are more ways to fall into an AOW class!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:04:32 AM EDT
1/4bore, i just spent about an hour going through the info you suggested. LOT Sof GOOD info I think I'm just going to get a preban lower and SBR it. it sounds like the most versitle way to go, and less problematic. thanks for all your help.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:37:14 PM EDT
My class 3 SOT here is Red Jacket Firearms. Will is awesome. Old Vietnam armorer turned Walk in freezer company turned class 3 manufacturer so he could open a range. www.redjacketfirearms.com Tell him AOW Mike sent you!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:08:41 PM EDT
Thanks stuporman I know exactly where he is! I'll go see him shortly [hail2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:20:53 PM EDT
What is a AOW? John
Top Top