Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/14/2003 1:15:16 PM EDT
My Eagle Arms lower and Bushmaster upper combination had a little too much play between the upper and lower receivers for me. The slop didn’t hurt anything, but it annoyed me.
I considered putting an Accu-wedge or one of those expandable pins into the rifle but, as I examined it, I noticed that much of the looseness was attributable to side play in the pivot joint between the two receivers.
I scrounged around in my junk hardware can and found a thin flat stainless steel washer about .010 thick to use as a shim.
I pushed the pivot pin out of the lower receiver and, with a little effort, managed to wedge this shim washer into the pivot joint formed by the clevis or yoke of the lower and the lug of the upper.
I pushed the pivot pin through the washer and back into place, closed the receivers, and engaged the takedown pin.
I was very pleased to see this eliminated every bit of looseness between the two receivers and resulted in a rock solid fit while the receivers still pivot.
Just wanted to share that with you guys.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#1]
you got a source for those? i've got a pre-ban PWA that could use something like thea... i've considered taking a paper punch and scissors to a coke can.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I don't have a source for these washers. I just finished searching through every flat washer spec I could find and wasn't able to come up anything thinner than .016.
Your best bet may be punching one out of some shim stock or an aluminum can.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:11:11 AM EDT
[#3]
You could also build up the width of the lug a bit with jb weld.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Another simple alternative to the Accu-Wedge:

Slip a 3/32" cross-section o-ring over the pivot lug of the upper receiver.  Reinstall the upper on the lower.  Close the upper (may need to squeeze the receivers together). Push the takedown pin back in.  Your done, no slop between the receivers.  Total cost $.15.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Shim washers are available from MSC for about half a buck each. Sizes are 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,10,12,14 and 16 mil. ID is .250 and OD is .375. You can stack these to get almost any thickness.
Go to www.mscdirect.com and search on shim washers.
Part # 64824048 is for .010" [beer]
Regards, Ray
The Ray in Ray-Vin
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top