Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/14/2003 11:32:01 AM EDT
thought i seen a post that stated bearing or axel grease any help would be great
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You could go to an auto parts store and ask for Moly something something grease (I forget the full name but mentioning Moly grease should be enough).

I have used Tetra Gun Grease. It's thick and yellow that uses Teflon and has worked great. After about 1500 rounds I switched out barrels 20" to 16" and the grease worked great. Barrel came off no problem and the grease looked almost new after firing that many rounds.

Good luck,
Mark
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
moly disulfide grease, aka 'moly slide' aka 'moly anti-sieze'
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#3]
i use Permatex anti-seize because it has a higher temp rating than any other grease i have...  works good on the flash hider too!
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
thats what i just used to put my barrel on with, permatex copper anti-seize lubricant. the can says it's good up to 1800 degrees F.

oh yeah, don't use to much though. it takes very little on the receiver threads.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#5]
This will work just fine:

[img]http://www.permatex.com/images/catalog/lubricants/81343_80078_81464.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.permatex.com/products/prodidx.asp?automotive=yes&f_call=get_item&item_no=81464[/url]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:25:38 AM EDT
[#6]
The Anti-Sieze works fine. That silver stuff.  thats what I used on mine.  You don't need too much.  Just a coating on the threads then wipe off any excess when finished.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Moly grease referred to above is ordinary wheel bearing grease, sometimes labeled for use with disk brakes (which have higher temp).

The antisieze compound is rather gritty, and while it does its job, anti-siezing... which means that in a few years, you can back something off, hopefully, it is not really necessary here.  

The purpose of the lubricant on the threads of the receiver and barrel nut is so that you can get a truer torque reading, and not read mostly friction.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Be cautious with anti-seize which has graphite in it. It will "EAT" the aluminum.
If I recall, Permatex has graphite.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I'ld go with the moly slide/moly grease.

2 factors working against you here.  Dissimilar metals and high temperatures.  Moly disulfide by itself is good to something like 2k F.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:37:28 AM EDT
[#10]
The Colt factory shop manual calls for Anti-seize compound, and thats exactly what I use.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#11]
the regular permatex anti-seize has graphite in it not the copper anti-seize lubricant. i found this out at their web site. here's what it says about the copper lubricant( no graphite and meets mil-spec applications)

Contains a high percentage of micro-fine copper flakes in a semi-synthetic grease carrier and is fortified with high quality rust and corrosion inhibitors. Temperature range: -30°F to 1800°F. Provides good electrical conductivity. Meets Mil Spec #907E.

Suggested Applications:
Spark plug threads installed in [b]aluminum[/b], exhaust manifold bolts, engine bolts, oxygen sensors, knock sensors, thermostat housing bolts, fuel filter fittings, and battery cable connec
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top