Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 7:10:45 AM EDT
A couple of questions about pins.

The trigger pin is held in place by the spring legs on the hammer.  I don't see anything holding the hammer pin in place.  

What holds the hammer pin in place or would this be an ideal candidate for an Anti-walk pin?

Bushmaster and several other sites have anti-walk pins for Mil-Spec lowers.  What about Colt lower with odd sized pin holes?

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#1]
The hammer pin is held in place by the J-Pin.  The J-Pin should rest in the center groove of the hammer pin and lock it in place.  If you look through the hammer pin hole you should see the J-pin.  If you don't and your hammer pin is walking out then the J-Pin probably broke.

I had a J-Pin break a couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Really?  I have an AR10 with a NM trigger and my hammer pin is walking out on it.

I cant wait to take it apart now....
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't say that is the case all the time but it would be the first thing I would check now.  After about 70 rounds I noticed my hammer pin was sticking out the left side of the receiver.  I was able to push it back in (strange cuz they are always such buggers to install) and continue shooting.  But after a couple of rounds I noticed it was creeping back out so I stopped shooting, brought the gun home, took the hammer out and noticed there was no J-Pin showing when I looked through the hammer pin sleeve.  I could see it at the bottom of the hammer so it didn't fall out completely.  When I called to order a new hammer the lady said, "it happens, not very often but it does happen".  

Let me know what you find.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top