Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2003 9:48:37 PM EDT
I will preface this post with:  I know this has probably been covered MANY times in here, but I won't lie, it's 10:30pm and I am way too tired to search through all the old threads...  Hey, at least I am honest!  

I am thinking about building an AR, it would be the 1st attempt for me.  I bought a Bushy about 2 months ago and I am hooked.  I would like to build a Flattop receiver as my bushy is a A2.  My questions...

1) What can I expect to pay (average) if I want to build my own.  I basically want a flattop, 16" w/ chrome lined.  

2) Any special tools I will need to get before I start?

3)  Recommendations on a good book to help me through the process...

Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:15:10 AM EDT
[#1]
unless you plan to barrel your upper you won't need any special tools except some roll punches that you can get at Sears for a couple bucks.  toothpics are also handy.  assembling a lower is really easy.  don't even worry about messing it up.  figure $120 for the lower, $55 for the lower parts kit, about $50 for a stock, and then 4-500 for a complete upper.  prices depened on what you want, deals can be had on the Equipment Exchange.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:17:21 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll also need the wrench to put a collapsable (pinned if post-ban) stock onto your lower.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:06:18 AM EDT
[#3]
You can get most all the parts you need from Pete-in-NH (Legal transfers) on the equipment exchange or in the Industry forum.  He has some nice M4 profile barrels (chrome linned) and I'm sure you can get the other parts you need from him or other dealers on the site.  Check out this area of the site [url]http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/[/url] for step by step instructions to assemble the lower and also look at the sidebar under "books and manuels" and then down to the downloads and get the Tech manuel TM 9-1005-319-23. Its in PDF format and you can save it or copy it to paper.  If going to assemble the upper you need a Action block to hold the upper in a vice, a barrel wrench and torque wrench.  Also some punches, etc., as mentioned in the above posts.  Going to cost a little extra when you figure all the extra things needed but you will have them for the next build.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:11:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I am in North Phoenix if you need to borrow the tools.

If you do not plan on building more, there is no reason to buy them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, I might take you up on that.  I have to decide on what i want 1st.  I'm just no sure how long it will take me to build it, since I am probably going to buy a little at a time (whenever I get some extra $$$)
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#7]
dude, buy the tools and keep them.

i thought that my first AR build would be my last and now i have four seperate kits im, working on plus one i am building for a friend.

i found a few good deals on AR parts on ebay and ended up with so many extra parts i had to start building another!(one 16'and one 20')  then i saw that the FAL kits were about to dry up (and they did) so i bought an imbel kit and a G1 kit.  now my friend has basicly asked me to build his FAL for him.  

the sad part is, not one of them is finished, not even the first!  and im trying to make some big payments on my credit card so i can get a 1911 kit.

hi, my name is david, and im a kitaholic...
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1) What can I expect to pay (average) if I want to build my own.  I basically want a flattop, 16" w/ chrome lined.
View Quote

I have exactly $604.71 in my new one (not couonting the optics).  I got an Eagle Arms lower from a guy here locally for $100, and my J&T kit (16" CAR kit) came to $504.71 (though it's not chrome lined)  

2) Any special tools I will need to get before I start?
View Quote

I got a brass punch kit from Sportsmans Guide for $25.  It has a small brass hammer and 12 punches.  We have a small spanner wrench here at work, and that's what I used to tighten my CAR stock.

3)  Recommendations on a good book to help me through the process...
View Quote

I used the instructions here on ARFCOM.  I printed them out and referred to them.  If I ran into something I couldn't make out on print outs, I pulled the Bushmaster out of the safe and broke it open and looked at it for reference.  

All in all, it took me about an hour and a half to get it together, and that was while watching my 2 year old daughter.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top