Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/5/2003 5:06:14 PM EDT
OK, so I messed up. I was taking my AR apart and during assembly when I closed the bold and cycled the rifle I saw a minor part laying in front of me ...the firing pin. So when i go to break open the rifle it seems that I cant open it because the ejector is stuck forward in the bolt carrier and the bolt wont move forward enough to clear the rear ring of the receiver so I cant slide the lower off the upper. I have tried everything, so i guess that maybe I can take the barrel assembly off to slide the bolt out the front. Is this easy to do? I have an M4forgery by bushmaster.

Thanks for your help

---A bit embarassed
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:09:58 PM EDT
If you can't push the bolt forward with the forward assist, you can always disengage the takedown and pivot pins, and slide the upper off the lower that way.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:14:26 PM EDT
It sounds like you are trying to pivot the upper and lower apart to break it open, Instead, pop out the front pivot pin at the same time as the takedown pin, then the upper receiver can move forward, up and off instead of pivoting apart. I don't know if the forward assist may drive the bolt more into a stuck position-- can't tell by your description, so drive out both takedown pins. Hope this helps, Otto
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:14:49 PM EDT
what he said
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:15:04 PM EDT
The pivot pins are out, its still stuck because the rear of the bolt protrudes enough to be in the rear ring of the lower....
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:15:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/5/2003 5:24:54 PM EDT by otto_esq]
Yeah, what Curcuits said... beat to the post again. They're out, you say...Hmmmmm. I'd remove the buttstock (A2? or collapsable? doesn't matter) to take the spring tension off of the bolt carrier and try to work the parts back into position through the mag well and ejection port or with the bolt carrier pulled all the way rearward enough to get the bolt to close, then take the upper off and remove the carrier and reinsert the firing pin. The barrel removal you suggested is more difficult AND it won't get you access to the cam pin to get the bolt out-- the access you seek by that method whould be only marginally better than going thru the mag well or ejection port. Not to mention the posibility of making a bad problem worse. Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:16:30 PM EDT
The pivot pins are out, its still stuck because the rear of the bolt protrudes enough to be in the rear ring of the lower....
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:30:43 PM EDT
Ok thanks for all your responses, I finally got the thing unjames after I completely took the collapsable buttstock down, and then literally wiggling everything until it slipped out, not I have the collapsable buttstock and all these springs and pins which flew out when I took it down,, is there a manuel on the net on hot to put the stock on so I put all the springs and detents back the right way.... Thanks for your help on this frustrating journey...
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:47:14 PM EDT
Now you know...leaving the firing pin out is just about the ONE thing you don't want to do. Without it, the cam pin can and will cam the bolt into lockup, and there won't be any surefire way of unlocking it. You have to wiggle it, hope, pray, lubricate it, wiggle it some more, curse yourself out, hope, pray, lubricate it, etc. until it comes out. And then you won't ever do that again! But you know a way to sabotage somebody's rifle if they really tick you off! CJ
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:50:39 PM EDT
Yes there is a link to an Army manual but this isn't my regular computer to give it to you. BUT there should only be one spring and one detent, used for your rear takedown pin, and the buffer retainer pin and spring. With the upper off, put in your rear takedown pin, hold the receiver pointed at the floor, drop in the little detent in the hole at the back where the buttstock attached, DON'T add the spring behind it, reattach the collapsable stock. A few minutes study will show you how to thread the stock on until the plate gets in the way, back it out a bit, insert the spring and retainer for the buffer, retighten the stock a turn or 2 to hold them in, add the detent spring now, and rotate the retainer plate on the stock in position, and tighten down the locking ring. Check the takedown pin for proper fuction, insert the recoil spring and buffer and reassemble to the upper. I think you know how to put the bolt/carrier back together properly now, so I'll skip that. Good luck, Otto
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:10:49 PM EDT
OK otto thanks for you help, everything is in place but now the buffer retainer wont stay down. I have the sprink in place and it just wants to pop out. Of the buffer is in I can get it to set on the nipple of the retainer, but as soon as the buffer goes back it just shoots out. What supposed to hold that down in place? Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:55:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Stryker1112: OK otto thanks for you help, everything is in place but now the buffer retainer wont stay down. I have the sprink in place and it just wants to pop out. Of the buffer is in I can get it to set on the nipple of the retainer, but as soon as the buffer goes back it just shoots out. What supposed to hold that down in place? Thanks again.
View Quote
Sounds like you didn't screw the buffer tube in far anough for the front edge of the tube to hold the buffer retaining nipple and spring assembly in place. I suspect you're one turn too far out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:59:38 PM EDT
Thanks guys, its all back together, and without marring up all the finish despite smashing it on the ground ten or twenty times... Heres a perfect example of why you should build your own rifle... Thanks again
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:27:29 PM EDT
Sounds like your tube is still too far out. Put in your spring and buffer retainer; hold it down so the shoulder of the retainer is below the thread level. Screw buffer tube in carefully until it contacts the side of the tip of the buffer retainer (over the shoulder). Then back it off until the stock is lined up. The retainer should still be held down by the end of the tube, by its shoulder. Slide the plate into place and tighten the nut, watch the plate for movement if it starts to move stop. I get help from someone to hold the tube while I tighten it, remember this is a steel on steel on aluminum operation don’t yank or twist at right angles or anything else stupid. It is possible to mess up the tube with the plate. If your retainer won’t stay in doing this check the end of your tube for damage. If you shoot a lot the nut needs to be staked in 2 of the 3 notches or it will shoot loose.
Top Top