Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/16/2002 8:31:21 PM EDT
I assembled my first AR15 today!!! If there is anyone thinking about doing this.... JUST DO IT! Piece of Cake!!!! I have been an active lurker on this site for about 6 monthes. This assembly was accomplished from the knowledge gained from this GREAT SITE! I used a RRA lower and a J&T A2 20" upper kit... I followed the lower receiver assembly instructions step by step from old.AR15.com.... First thing I did was to print the page of the instructions that shows all the lower parts with there names. I laid each part on this piece of paper. This way I inventoried the parts and I knew I was using the correct springs, pins, etc as the instructions called for it...... I used no special tools, just common stuff from the workshop. Hammer, brass rod, nail set, 1/4 inch dowel rod, 2 by 4 with a piece of felt as a hammering block, pliers, duck tape, etc.... I made two pivot pin installation tools by grinding the points off a 8 and 16 penny nails.... I covered the reciever with duct tape so I would not slip and scratch it... Both Roll pins had to be tapped in with a hammer and brass rod harder that I thought they would to get them started... I needed the assistance of my son, third hand was required in a few spots..... Lanched one pivot pin detent and spring. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES! It shot across the basement at the velocity of a .223!!!!

Overall I am very happy with the outcome.... I can't wait to shoot it!! RRA lower and the J&T upper look and fit great together!!!! Knowing what I now know. It sure seems foolish to me to pay top dollar for a store bought AR...
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 2:20:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2002 2:23:58 AM EDT by Gecko]
JMS92: I need to replace the Fire Control Group in a pre-ban lower. I have never worked on a lower before and am so cheap that I don't want to have to spend $15-20 dollars on pin punches I will probably never use again. Can I e-mail you with some questions on how you made and used your punches? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 5:26:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2002 5:28:48 AM EDT by fijfi]
jms92, Sounds great, Let us know how it shoots. I've never assembled a lower, but it really doesn't seem to tough (other than making sure that the springs don't get lost) [;)] If my CavArms lower (Green) ever gets here, I'll be doing the same thing. I can't wait [bounce] Pretty sure this is going to get a RRA 9mm mounted to it. Or maybe the Yellow Cav will get the 9mm [;)] Jamie
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:36:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2002 6:37:37 AM EDT by mikeinkc]
Warning jms, once you`ve assembled one, you will be planning your next, and so on and so forth. You only launched one pivot pin detent??!![;)]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:39:50 AM EDT
You did check the head spacing right?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:51:21 AM EDT
No need for punches to install a new fcg, just use a bullet nose, or any other thing handy for pushing the pins out, sometimes the need a lil smack, but mostly just slide right out with pressure.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 9:15:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jms92: I assembled my first AR15 today!!! If there is anyone thinking about doing this.... JUST DO IT! Piece of Cake!!!! I have been an active lurker on this site for about 6 monthes. This assembly was accomplished from the knowledge gained from this GREAT SITE! I used a RRA lower and a J&T A2 20" upper kit... I followed the lower receiver assembly instructions step by step from old.AR15.com.... First thing I did was to print the page of the instructions that shows all the lower parts with there names. I laid each part on this piece of paper. This way I inventoried the parts and I knew I was using the correct springs, pins, etc as the instructions called for it...... I used no special tools, just common stuff from the workshop. Hammer, brass rod, nail set, 1/4 inch dowel rod, 2 by 4 with a piece of felt as a hammering block, pliers, duck tape, etc.... I made two pivot pin installation tools by grinding the points off a 8 and 16 penny nails.... I covered the reciever with duct tape so I would not slip and scratch it... Both Roll pins had to be tapped in with a hammer and brass rod harder that I thought they would to get them started... I needed the assistance of my son, third hand was required in a few spots..... Lanched one pivot pin detent and spring. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES! It shot across the basement at the velocity of a .223!!!! Overall I am very happy with the outcome.... I can't wait to shoot it!! RRA lower and the J&T upper look and fit great together!!!! Knowing what I now know. It sure seems foolish to me to pay top dollar for a store bought AR...
View Quote
[beer]!! BIY!! I sit on a white bedsheet, and pull the end over my head to contain the flying detent for the front pivot pin. The rest is cake work. good idea on the safety glasses. [B)]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 9:19:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Gecko: JMS92: I need to replace the Fire Control Group in a pre-ban lower. I have never worked on a lower before and am so cheap that I don't want to have to spend $15-20 dollars on pin punches I will probably never use again. Can I e-mail you with some questions on how you made and used your punches? Thanks
View Quote
no punches needed here,everything should slide right out. 5 min. job. Remember the pistol grip contains the spring and detent for the fire selector.[;)]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 5:57:52 PM EDT
The JT kits are already headspaced.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 9:51:49 AM EDT
Good advice. Once you start building them, it is a sickness...Someone please make me stop. [devil]
Originally Posted By notack: [beer]!! BIY!! I sit on a white bedsheet, and pull the end over my head to contain the flying detent for the front pivot pin. The rest is cake work. good idea on the safety glasses. [B)]
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 8:19:31 AM EDT
Go to your local pawn shop and look around. I have found lots of tools there, and even if you can't find a specific tool you can buy one and modify it. I bought a handfull of allen wrenches. I cut them off below the 90 dergree bend and they work great as pin punches. I also bought a few 1/4 extentions (ones that are trashed) and I use them as drift pins / punches. I'll also go to pawn shops and buy trashed Craftsman tools and get the free replacements at Sears or wait till Lowes or Home Depot have a tool exchange. [x]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 8:22:01 AM EDT
It sure seems foolish to me to pay top dollar for a store bought AR...
View Quote
What's the price difference? I haven't checked on this option...
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 9:22:10 AM EDT
Here's how the numbers work out, although I think that I am missing a couple of small parts: Green lower from Cav Arms (on sale) $75 Shipping 10 Transfer at gun shop 30 Upper from Model 1(?) or M&A (?) in SGN 290 Shipping on upper - estimate 20 Charging handle from DPMS 20 Bolt Ass'y from DPMS 49 Lower parts kit from DPMS 59 Buttstock Buffer Spring (Car) 5 Buffer Body Assembly (Car) 15 Sales Tax on DPMS stuff 10 Total $583 (Sorry if the spacing is funky. It looked OK when I wrote it up.)
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 5:20:37 AM EDT
Congratulations on your first build. The info on old ar15.com is really helpful. Makes that first build real easy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:53:59 PM EDT
Where's the pictures. Show us your new baby.....
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 3:46:54 PM EDT
OH the addiction begins!!!! I have built two lowers into complete rifles in the last 6 months. I really enjoy building the lower. I am now in the process of building a spare bolt carrier and bolt. This stuff is fun.
Top Top