Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/2/2002 8:07:57 AM EDT
Please help a newbie understand some things!
I've shot em, I've had em, but I don't know nothing about em.
I am in the market for a preban AR-15, and found a "pre-ban" lower for sale with a sear block? I thought all prebans had no sear block? From my limited understanding prebans can have bayonette lug, removable threaded flashhidder, and no sear block? Where I am going wrong?

Also, what is the best resource to read about what is what concerning the AR-15's, histories and models? I have found this book and was thinking about getting it?
The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
—How to build your own AR-15
—by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee

Thanks for all replies
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:25:48 AM EDT
Sounds like you are looking at a "COLT" lower. They did put "blocks" in some of the early '90 on up production lowers for civilian consumption to prevent adding of auto parts.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 4:28:58 PM EDT
Colts have had the block since around 1991. They recently stopped using it. It is not any sort of requirement and has nothing to do with pre or post ban. Walt's book is a very good way to start.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 4:33:58 PM EDT
My preban Colt has the sear block as well. No big issue - just political correctness on Colt MFG's part. Mine is a Colt Sporter Target model in M-4 configuration - I have never had any problems with it - can't say the same for my Oly Arms preban. You also might want to check out books on the AR-15 by Duncan Long - he's written a lot of good books on small arms and has a website as well that might give you some good info.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:44:53 AM EDT
Thanks for the info. I will check out these books and learn more about it.
Top Top