Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/25/2002 7:04:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/25/2002 10:39:37 AM EDT by AR15Plinker]
Something is wrong with the disconnector I guess, When we built it the hammer will hold in the cocked possision. But when firing the weapon it will shoot 2 shots every other time. Someone told me that the sear is not lining up and this is not a serious problem.

Could it be solved by replacing the disconnector with a new one? (I was going to try this first)

Thanks for any help...
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:08:11 AM EDT
Usually a worn or out of spec disconnector. To check, squeeze the trigger and hold, while charging the rifle (no ammo, of course). The hammer should be held back by the disconnector. Very slowly release the trigger. The hammer should drop off the disconnector onto the trigger sear no matter how slowly you release the trigger. If the hammer falls all the way instead of just to the trigger sear, you've got a trigger/disconnector engagement problem. The disconnector can be replaced, or the engagement can be adjusted by carefully filing the front bottom "foot" of the disconnector, where it sits on top of the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 10:41:51 PM EDT
Waiting for the hammer to fall on this thread. IBTL
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 10:43:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ellery_Holt: Waiting for the hammer to fall on this thread. IBTL
View Quote
Boggle? Why would the hammer fall on the thread? This is apparently a problem that crops up from time to time, and is easily fixable. That's what this site is here for! -Gloftoe
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 5:16:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Ellery_Holt: Waiting for the hammer to fall on this thread. IBTL
View Quote
[rolleyes] This isn't an "Illegal Weapon" post. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 5:18:30 AM EDT
It is a phenomenon known as "doubling". Happens frequently it appears.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 8:25:23 PM EDT
This is caused by the pin on the trigger working its way out. The cure, is to make sure the pin is back in and then to place the ends of the spring for the hammer on top of the pin. This keeps the pin from working its way out. Learned this from the PM Army magazine. M-16's do the same thing. Terry
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 9:00:19 PM EDT
While you have the disconnector out, check the spring. It should be installed with the wide end towards the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 12:31:59 AM EDT
Oops. I apologize. Reading comprehension was bad. Sorry.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 11:27:14 AM EDT
Disconnector spring could be tired. Give it a little stretch, or replace spring.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 2:54:39 PM EDT
Don't stretch the spring. It'll do the same thing later. It's better to replace springs instead of stretching them...espescially magazine or buffer springs. Pro Patria
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 8:59:24 AM EDT
Stretching the spring will serve as a trouble shooting action to indicate if the spring is, or is not at fault. That is the only reason I mentioned it. If the rifle does not have many rounds through it and a spring has fatigued you may want acquire a spring from a different source. Spring stretching is very cheap. Blindly throwing parts at a problem until the problem goes away cost money. The worst of it is that you still really won't know what the problem is.
Top Top