Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/19/2002 7:33:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2002 12:03:44 PM EDT by greenmountainpatriot]
I have a pre-ban rec'ver kicking around and I was thinking about changing it to an upper that I can use. Think this is more trouble than it is worth and I should just sell it?

I would think I would only have to shave off the bayo lug and weld on an ATF approved muzzle break, correct?

Link Posted: 11/19/2002 9:54:37 AM EDT
I presume you mean that you have a preban LOWER receiver "kicking around".

If so, why not just leave the whole rifle in a preban configuration which only involves the upper receiver so long as the rifle has a fixed stock attached to the LOWER receiver. It's worth alot more as a preban so long as the S/N is verifiable as a preban.

If you really want a postban upper configuration rifle then just install a postban upper.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 10:51:39 AM EDT
I have a pre-ban lower and TWO pre-ban UPPERS. I was thinking about converting the 20in into POST-BAN since I never use it...I am not going to buy another overpriced pre-ban rec'ver.

Link Posted: 11/19/2002 11:11:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 11:43:11 AM EDT
Yep, shave the bayonet lug and have the flash surpressor pinned or silver soldered.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 12:02:52 PM EDT
Cool....just wanted to get some input! Thanks!

I'll post some before/after pics if I go thru w/ it instead of selling the upper.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:31:35 AM EDT
I did one of these for myself a few years ago as a "why not" project and have since bought the tools and done some for friends. Just shave the lug, and have a gunsmith cut off the f/s threads and recrown the barrel(with a couple of basic tools from Brownells you can do it yourself). This becomes a low cost post-ban upper that shoots great (yes, I've read the posts that say you can't cut a chrome lined barrel, but I've never had a problem with one shooting well after being cut and crowned).
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 10:46:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Red-Leg: Yep, shave the bayonet lug and have the flash surpressor pinned or silver soldered.
View Quote
Can't have a flash suppressor, even if it's permanently installed. He'd have to remove the suppressor and permanently install a non-flash suppressing muzzle brake, or have the threads removed or permanently covered with a muzzle nut.
Top Top