Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/1/2002 4:54:54 AM EDT
I guess the subject line says it all.  The reason I ask, is I have a lathe, and the pics on William's site show one being done on a lathe.  What size would be best?  While a milling attachment on a lathe is probably not the best application, if you can drill the holes on a drill press why wouldn't this work?  As much as I want a mill, I don't see being able to afford one in the near future.  TIA.  Matt.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
mjydrafter
Some of those pictures were of the first one I completed. I only used the lathe to complete the buffer tube ring.  I really don't see how you would be able to acuratly position the frame in relation to the drill/mill attachment.

Dave
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#2]
mjydrafter...Hello & welcome. Yes, your lathe will do the job...and then some! if you need some specifics...write Snelling and ask about the PIX you saw on his site. I'm certain that he'll be helpful...Bud

Hey Dave..He's from IOWA, he'll get it done :o)
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#3]
AFretired,
How did you index the buffer tube ring to your boring bar/threading tool to center it?

DeanQ
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]
DeanQ
I made an adapter to fit the lower exactly like an upper would fit. (see picture) http://www.scrtc.com/~drd/jig1.jpg Using a four jaw chuck and a magnetic mount dial indicator I centered the lower from side to side. I also adjusted the lower .629" off center to place the buffer tube hole in the center.

Dave
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:17:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the welcome guys!  I was begining to think I had asked a bad question.  I got my 80% form William last week, I'm itchin' to make some chips.  Actually, with X-mas closing so fast a mill might be nearer to my future than I had thought.  Not only that but the wife seems to be alright with it.  She also noted when I opened the 80%, that it looked like it needed "alot" of other parts-ha-ha.  (I changed the subject quickly).
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top