Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2002 11:32:44 AM EDT
Im looking to get something as close as possible to original modern post ban black like on colt and bushmaster in a home kit.

is it

Norrell

Laurer

brownells

or other

If its Norrells where can i get the kit i saw someone several months ago selling a complete kit but have not seen a recent post.

how can i get the best results as parts as sand or bead blasting.

Thanks

Bill
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are talking about the 7075T6 receivers, you can anodize and dye them yourself... much better than painting.  If you do paint, however, don't strip the old anodize... just paint over it.  Blasting will definitely damage the anodizing.

If it were me, I'd strip the anodize with lye (don't leave it in too long), clean, sandblast, anodize and dye.

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Kit: www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976202133.htm

4 ozs of finish should be enough for 3-4 lowers.

Norrell's strongly recommends AGAINST bead blasting. Sandblasting is preferred.

If the lower is already finished, then you don't have to sandblast, just apply the finish over the existing finish. If it's raw aluminum, then sandblast it.

I've used it on a SIG and the finish is as advertised. Works well and seems to be very durable. Do a search on Google for 'norrell moly resin'. There are a couple sites that give complete instructions so you'll know what to expect.

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you are talking about the 7075T6 receivers, you can anodize and dye them yourself...

Does the Anodizing/dyeing work as well with other types of forged receivers, or the cast ones?
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you are talking about the 7075T6 receivers, you can anodize and dye them yourself...

Does the Anodizing/dyeing work as well with other types of forged receivers, or the cast ones?

The anodizing works but the forged receivers take the dye much better than cast.  An option with cast receivers would be to clear anodize then paint... that way you get the hard coat.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top