Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/27/2002 4:38:28 AM EDT
I assembled my RRA lower receiver yesterday in just under 2.5 hours(not bad for a guy who's never done anything like this before).

The information from this sight was invaluable, and gave me the comfidence to try. Thanks to all of you. I do however have 2 questions before I head to the range.

1) cleaning and lubrication before I shoot it for the first time. Your thoughts or recommendations?

2)Although  I followed the assembly instruction slowly, step by step, and to the letter, I find that I have two parts left over(a spring and a small pin). I did every function test prescribed in the assembly instructions, and eveery thing seems to function properly during dry fire. Is it possible that JT sent two extra parts in case they were lost during assembly?

This happened to me once in 8th grade, small engine tear down and reassembly... sorry, I digress....

Thank you in advance.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:44:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats Mike!
clean your rife well before going to the range.
Breakfree's "CLP" is popular among AR owners.

don't know what to tell you about the left over parts. i assume your take down pins are operational?

coltc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:51:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Really need to know what size parts you have left over.
Unless the kit you received had a few extras, there will not be extra parts left over.
A spring and a pin (detent) hold both the take down pins in and from falling out when pulled.  Another spring and pin holds the selector in. The detent goes in the lower and the spring in the pistol grip.
The other goes under the bolt release on the left side. The spring first then the stepped pin with a round head.

Congrats on the first of many AR's that will follow.

Rick
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:59:08 AM EDT
[#3]
ask the girls at work to throw you a baby shower!
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 6:19:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a small spring, like a detent spring, and what I could only describd as some sort of plunger like pin.

All the take down pins, detents, and springs are in place. I have gone over the assembly instructions three times, as well as the parts diagram. As I said, the function checks are all fine. The safety works, the trigger, and hammer works. Thak take down pins come out enough to take the rifle down but, not completely out.

I'll seperates the upper and lower today for cleaning before heading out to the range.

In spite of being a little puzzled at the moment, I thoroughly enjoyed assembling the rifle.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you lay out all the small parts and count and verify them before you started? There should have been 30 pieces not counting the grip. If so than just extra ones. Sounds like a detent spring and detent to me also. On the cleaning; make sure you clean it good with clp and make sure the bolt and carreir is lubed good and also where the bolt meets in the barrel extention.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Spring and plunger for the bolt release maybe?

Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#7]
mmcgee:

I am willing to bet that one of the springs goes between the lower reciever and the buffer assembly.  I always lose that one becasue it shoot across the room when I remove the buffer.  It goes between the lower adn that oblong shaped washer type thing that is on the buffer thread.  Am I right?  Anyone know what the purpose of that spring is?
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#8]
We have started including an extra takedown detent & spring with our lower kits due to a large number of customers who have reported "shortages".  This way when one is launched across the room there is a spare.

Jesse
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:09:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
We have started including an extra takedown detent & spring with our lower kits due to a large number of customers who have reported "shortages".  This way when one is launched across the room there is a spare.

Jesse

There you go. Extra spring and detent. Had that happen to me but with some searching on my hands and knees was real lucky and found them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:29:46 AM EDT
[#10]
unfortunately,you would lose that bet. Appreciate you help anyway.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:34:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you ,Thank you , Thank you.

I was concerned the thing would blow up or something when I shot it for the first time. Not really, but, I was concerned.

I feel much better now!!!! Planning on going to the range tonight.

The finish of the receiver does not match exactly the upper though. at this price however, I can live with it.

Thank you all!!!

Mike  
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:55:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Good thinking.  I remember the hour it took me to find the rear takedown spring last time I swapped out an upper.  (I was using compressed air to remove shavings from a little filing I had to do on the takedown pin hole, and it shot the detent and spring across the room.)

Quoted:

Jesse

Link Posted: 10/30/2002 3:35:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I just wanted to let everyone know that I took the new baby to the range last night. It shot great, no malfunctions of any kind!

I'd include a photo if I could only figure how to do it.

Thanks to all.

Mike
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top