Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2002 7:53:00 AM EDT
Is it illegal to put a pre-ban lower with a post-ban upper or what is the differance and also about the barrels with the bayonet lug can that barrel be put on a post-ban lower? How does this work? Confused......hacko.gif
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
PRE-BAN--Can have all evils, combo of evils or no evils.

POST-BAN--NO EVILS,,,, PERIOD.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The lower is the registered, transferable, serial numbered protion of an AR-15/M-16.

If you have a Pre-Ban lower, the upper may contain all of the bad/evil features or none and still be legal.

If you have a Post-Ban lower, the upper may NEVER contain any of the the bad/evil features.

Barrels lengths of both, for civilian use, must be 16" in length.

The exception to this rule is SBRs, short barreled rifles, which like full-auto/select-fire rifles must be cover with a Federal permit/tax stamp and requires additional paper-work, money and approval.

Rather simplistic explaination, but it will hopefully suffice.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Well.... That was great.... I was just wondering because of the fact that a friend of mine has a pre-ban lower and I have a post-ban upper and we wondered if there was something wrong if we put them together and went to the range.... guess not.... thanks....
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The only other caution that should be mentioned is to make sure you can show that the lower was assembled into a complete rifle prior to the ban. Then as Mr_Wilson states you can do about anything thats non-NFA that you want.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Putting a post-ban upper on a pre-ban lower is perfectly legal. (as long as the upper is otherwise legal - e.g. barrel at least 16" in length)
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Plinker

Check this out . Coltcarbine's post explains it easiest . At least  for me it did *lol*

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=141617
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Except that Coltcarbine's wrong - he's made the common mistake of thinking it's "2 features"

The actual law reads "semi auto with the ability to accept a detachable magazine, and ONE feature".

A detachable magazine is not an evil feature - it's part of the AW definition.  No detachable mag means the rifle is not subject to the AW ban no matter what.  With the detachable magazine, if it's semi auto, it gets ONE feature - which is usually the pistol grip for an AR type rifle.

If you are willing to permanently attach your magazine and load the rifle through the top of the magwell (break it open, I guess), then you can have a telestock and bayonet lug and flash suppressor and all the other evil features on your post-ban rifle.  Others have done this by disabling the gas system, making the rifle a bolt action - and also no longer subject to the AW ban.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top