Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2002 6:50:52 AM EDT
Hey Guys.  I am also new to the scene of AR's.  I am in the process of starting to put together the necessary parts to build my own AR, looking to make a CAR-15.  I am pretty sure that I am going to buy the J&T 16" CAR Kit for my upper, but I am looking for a pre ban lower.  Any suggestions.  Thanks!
Chad
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Chad,

I applaud your decision to build a CAR-type AR, however, I caution you in this area as you can get yourself in a sticky situation. You can buy a pre-ban lower if you wish, you will be looking at around 850-1100 dollars for one, depending on mfr. and condition. Now, the sticky situation comes when you build this lower into a rifle in pre-ban configuration. IF the lower was a complete rifle prior to Sept. '94 and was stripped down to the lower and resold, you're OK. IF the lower was just a lower and NOT a built rifle prior to Sept. '94 then you are building a weapon in an illegal configuration, even though it's a "pre ban" lower. I know, I know, you're asking how will "they" know. Well, I'm sure somewhere in ATF's vast computerized tracking system(that they say they don't have)they WILL know if you're lower was one or the other, and when you resell same to some poor slob down the road he just might get you screwed unknowingly. Looking at just the serial number is not enough, as yes it may have been a production piece prior to Sept. '94 but it was not a complete rifle, get it? Now, if you're just going to build it and never resell it, let your conscience be your guide. For my money, I'd save the pennies and buy a complete preban weapon for around $1500 and be safe. Really, there's not much difference in price between a preban "lower" and a preban "complete weapon". Good luck.

PS-look in the "equipment exchange" area of this site for everything your heart could desire, from parts to complete weapons and everything in between--good deals too!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top