Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/11/2002 7:54:18 PM EDT
Does someone sell a basic tool kit for assembling a lower? All the punches, roll pin holders, pivot pin installation tool, etc?
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 8:00:41 PM EDT
Snap-On, Matco, MAC, Sears. Mine are from the tool truck. Pin punches from both Snap-On and Matco (I keep 2 sets), rest is in tool box at work- hammer, screwdriver, hex wrench set.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:49:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2002 5:49:33 AM EDT by VA-gunnut]
This has been the best set that I have found for assemblying lowers. I picked one up at a gunshow.

CDNNI would suggest that you order some other things with it because CDNN has a shipping charge of $10 no matter how much you order.

Given what I paid for my set of Snap-On punches, the other set is a great deal.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 4:34:58 PM EDT
That takes care of the punches, what about some of the other tools the old ar15.com site says you'll need for assembling a lower, like roll pin holders and a pivot pin installation tool?
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:15:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2002 6:15:52 PM EDT by VA-gunnut]
As far as the roll pins are concerned if you compress them before you try to install them the punches will easily install the roll pins. I usually use a pair of vice-grips or channel locks to compress the roll pins.

I just use a feeler gauge to hold the pivot pin detent in place while installing the pivot pin. Just use a some sort of back stop just incase you let the detent slip out, it will stop it from shooting across the room.

Top Top