Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2002 6:08:44 PM EDT
Got a DPMS float tube, have some extra sling studs but wondering about proper way to install.

Are they self threading?  Could I drill a hole an JB weld it?

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Before I install the stud, I will shoot the rifle for a few hundred rounds, then re-tighten the tube to make sure it's tight.  The last thing you want is to index the stud, then have the tube turn.

On placement, I use the bipod for location of the hole, drill the hole to tap for the threads, then back it up with a nut(with beveled washer) on the inside of the tube.  Just remember to use a press to prevent the hole from being canted when drilled.  Also, the use of loctite is a must to keep if from turning is you use the stud for a sling when the bipod is off the rifle.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]
What equipment is needed to tap the hole?

Quoted:
On placement, I use the bipod for location of the hole, drill the hole to tap for the threads, then back it up with a nut(with beveled washer) on the inside of the tube.  Just remember to use a press to prevent the hole from being canted when drilled.  Also, the use of loctite is a must to keep if from turning is you use the stud for a sling when the bipod is off the rifle.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 10/12/2002 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What equipment is needed to tap the hole?

A tap the same thread as your stud.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Why bother tapping the hole in the thin aluminum tube at all? Just drill it out to clear the stud and use a nut and a cup or lock washer. If you have a three piece tube, you needn't worry about the index.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top