Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/10/2002 6:08:44 PM EDT
Got a DPMS float tube, have some extra sling studs but wondering about proper way to install.

Are they self threading? Could I drill a hole an JB weld it?

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 10:04:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/11/2002 10:04:55 PM EDT by Dano523]
Before I install the stud, I will shoot the rifle for a few hundred rounds, then re-tighten the tube to make sure it's tight. The last thing you want is to index the stud, then have the tube turn.

On placement, I use the bipod for location of the hole, drill the hole to tap for the threads, then back it up with a nut(with beveled washer) on the inside of the tube. Just remember to use a press to prevent the hole from being canted when drilled. Also, the use of loctite is a must to keep if from turning is you use the stud for a sling when the bipod is off the rifle.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 12:10:07 PM EDT
What equipment is needed to tap the hole?

Originally Posted By Dano523:
On placement, I use the bipod for location of the hole, drill the hole to tap for the threads, then back it up with a nut(with beveled washer) on the inside of the tube. Just remember to use a press to prevent the hole from being canted when drilled. Also, the use of loctite is a must to keep if from turning is you use the stud for a sling when the bipod is off the rifle.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 10/12/2002 4:04:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nvcdl:
What equipment is needed to tap the hole?

A tap the same thread as your stud.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:46:38 PM EDT
Why bother tapping the hole in the thin aluminum tube at all? Just drill it out to clear the stud and use a nut and a cup or lock washer. If you have a three piece tube, you needn't worry about the index.
Top Top