Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/5/2002 1:56:09 PM EDT
I am going to be building a range soon and would like any suggestions that would make it nicer. I will be making it at least 100 yards as one of the primary uses will be siting rifles in for the hunting guest that I have but I also would like for it to be accomadating for full auto also. I will be using heavy equipment so berms etc are possible. My initial lay out is with a berm with shooting slightly down hill and will have a very large hill pushed up for a backstop. I also have an alternate site where I can construct with ranges to 200-300 yards but is full auto used at excessive ranges etc? I have a M16 in transfer now so I don't personally know. Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 3:58:20 PM EDT
I'ld go for the longest range I could possibly build. Even though it's possible to successfully "sight-in" a rifle at 100 yards, there's nothing like actually being able to test it at 300. It sure takes a lot of the guess work out of those balistics tables. Especially when working up new loads or testing new equipment.

As far as the full-auto thing goes, unless your firing tripod-mounted, belt-fed, "heavy" machineguns, I think you'll find that 90% of your full-auto stuff is gonna be done at 100 yards or less. Probably much less! More like 25-50!

Push that backstop "hill" up just as high as you can get it with a splayed berm on either end of it coming back toward the firing line for maybe 5-10% of the length of the range. Continuous side berms are not needed and are counter-productive as they create un-realistc windage effects.

Let us know when it's done!

All good . . . . Doug

Link Posted: 10/5/2002 5:51:36 PM EDT
Start for the back stop, then work backwards.

If you can get your hands on some old tires, then three row the tires(staggered) then fill them with dirt. The dirt will hold them in place and the tires will be less likely to erode over time and stress.

If noise or shots they may go over the back stop is a issue, then you can use post with beams that will block the shots, if the rifle climbs above the back stop. The ideal placement will be beams every 20 yards and when looking down range, the beams create a visual ceiling that will stop any round that is fired above the back stop height. It will also cut down on the noise that will travel beyond the range.

The last thing that is a must is that the shooting area(standing/bench point) is covered. You may not believe me, but the days that you/guests spend at your range, and not hunting, will the days that it is just too wet/snowing to go out and do something else.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 10/5/2002 8:18:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2002 8:18:59 PM EDT by hondajohn]
The NRA offers a book on range construction it covers all kinds of legalities and epa concerns and they also offer support in designing it the book is $40.00 and I am pretty sure it is available to everyone. Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 5:24:27 AM EDT
Tmain...Go with the 200-300yd thinking. The NRA range guide that Hondajohn suggested will help a great deal...track a copy down and buy or borrow it. Sounds like one hellofa Winter project...Bud

Top Top