Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2002 8:28:22 PM EDT
Hi there,

what is the process to remove the front sight from my barrel without breaking anything ?...i have a 16" post ban from BM, i already removed the gas tube...

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/2/2002 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
There are two tapered pins that hold the sight tower onto the barrel.  Drive the pins  from the the smaller side out the larger side, then just pull the tower off.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks Dano,
do i need to slide something or just pull ?...

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
thanks Dano,
do i need to slide something or just pull ?...

The pins are removed from the left side to the right (as looking through the sights).
The tower is a snug fit and there's probably a bit of powder residue from the gas port that'll cause the tower to stick a bit. Just twist it back and forth as you slide it forward.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
what is the process to remove the front sight from my barrel without breaking anything ?...i have a 16" post ban from BM, i already removed the gas tube...

Sometimes you might have to take a rubber mallet and gently tap it to break any seals that might be there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hi there,

Thanks

You did not have to remove the gas tube, I "knock" the 2 pins and slide sight base w/tube attched forward as a single part.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
ok so now i manage to get ride of those 2 pins...i can slide the front sight..then ?..i was under assuption i could remove it entirely...but the muzzle of my barrel is preventing me to do it ( post ban barrel)....is there a way to do it or am i stuck ?

thanx
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
ok so now i manage to get ride of those 2 pins...i can slide the front sight..then ?..i was under assuption i could remove it entirely...but the muzzle of my barrel is preventing me to do it ( post ban barrel)....is there a way to do it or am i stuck ?

Yikes!

You are stuck, unless you get it to a smith who will drill it out, plus possibly more work depending on what BM did.

Link Posted: 10/4/2002 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks Budam....i guess i'll have to buy a barrel without front sight...(im building a varmint one out of my old BM...)
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#9]
exocet, why remove the front sight? Why not just cut the front sight post off of the gas bock? You can do this with a hacksa or dremel tool. Did one for a friend who had bought a Oly Arms 16" barrel and wanted to mount a Holo sight. He said that the sight postwould get in the way when he was shooting and he was going to mount a new barrel. 30 min work with a dremel, a file and some aluminum black and he was a happy camper, and had saved a couple o hundred dollars.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]
thats sound like a good idea too...i just wanted to save the front sight..in case...but i guess i have no other choice...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top