Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2002 6:17:31 PM EDT
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before, I generally don't pay attention to the "Will the AWB sunset?" threads.  They tend to go over and over the same stuff....

My question is practical.  If I've got a post-ban lower, a pre-ban upper and a collapsible stock, will I be able to assemble them legally after the AWB sunsets next year?  If the receiver hasn't been assembled into anything, I don't see how it would be illegal.

If yes, I just might get the necessary components ahead of time (over the next few months) and take the day off work that wonderful day to build/shoot it!

I'm assuming that there's no Democratic shift in Congress this fall.  Looking pretty good right now, but I'm trying not to get my hopes too high.

I hope this just isn't a dream.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 3:57:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Carbine_Man...Unless there is some congressional voodoo mumbo jumbo in store for us...Yes, parts will again be parts...Bud
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 4:23:04 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you mean by "sunset?" Are they going to repeal the '94 assault weapon ban like they repealed prohibition in the '30s?
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The 94 AW ban has a sunset clause.  It will only last for 10 years.  There's nothing to stop the legislature from passing another one, though.  Except Us!

Quoted:
What do you mean by "sunset?" Are they going to repeal the '94 assault weapon ban like they repealed prohibition in the '30s?

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#4]
"Anyone who is under 30, and is not a Liberal, has no heart.
Anyone who is over 30, and is not a Conservative, has no brain."
  - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

VOTE . . . . . AND VOTE REPUBLICAN
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My question is practical.  If I've got a post-ban lower, a pre-ban upper and a collapsible stock, will I be able to assemble them legally after the AWB sunsets next year?

The ban sunsets after 9/13/2004 - not next year.  Yes, after it sunsets, you can configure any rifle with pre-ban features, provided something new and possibly worse doesn't take its place.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Sooooooo,

If I wait, and the day it sunsets, buiild an AR with all the goodies, collapsible stock, bayo lug, you know all the toys, and then they pass another AW ban of a similar nature, am I now illegal or do I now have a new Preban?  Assuming there is not legal sht to specifically preclude us doing that

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sooooooo,

If I wait, and the day it sunsets, buiild an AR with all the goodies, collapsible stock, bayo lug, you know all the toys, and then they pass another AW ban of a similar nature, am I now illegal or do I now have a new Preban?  Assuming there is not legal sht to specifically preclude us doing that

Just keep in mind they still wont let YOU have more than 5 in the mag!

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sooooooo,

UH UH  My sweetie and I are getting married, I am waiting for the VISA, and then I will live in the states, forever. I cannot take her away from her family.

SO I will be able to have whatever is legal in WI, and I think that is anything correct?
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sooooooo,

UH UH  My sweetie and I are getting married, I am waiting for the VISA, and then I will live in the states, forever. I cannot take her away from her family.

SO I will be able to have whatever is legal in WI, and I think that is anything correct?

Well congratulations then!! Load up those 30's!! I have been down here 26yrs now, you will enjoy it very much.

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I love the States, until my car died I was going down every day, sometimes staying for weeks or months, whatever I ocul dhandle with visiting friends.....

And of course WI is also an FA state I think.....

so well, after all is done I am goign to have fun, the lady even has shot in the past and looks forward to trying it again
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I am hoping that any new potential "ban" takes affect at 12:01am (not 12:00am) on 09/14/2004. That will give me one minute to put a telescoping stock and barrel with flash hider on a "post ban" lower. He He He.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#12]
or why not just put a bayo lug on your existing barrel? wouldnt this work?

oz
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top