Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/12/2002 2:57:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2002 4:32:59 PM EDT by Charles_Cotton]
I saw a supplier offering DPMS left-hand uppers they called the "South-paw" upper, but I can't find it site again. DPMS doesn't show it on their sight either.

Has anyone else seen them?
Thanks,
Chas.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 3:10:11 PM EDT
Welcome Charles_Cotton. I'd also be interested in a left handed reciever?????
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 6:18:14 PM EDT
Capitalist:
I'll keep looking for it; hopefully someone will see our posts. My wife is left-handed, short with short arms. I want to build her a left-hand AR using the "Stubby-Stock" Bushmaster sells. Their web site says its just slightly longer than a compressed telestock, so it should work well for Martha.

If I find the South-Paw lower before someone responds to my original post, I'll post it here and send you an email.

Regards,
Chas.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 6:22:48 PM EDT
Howdy fellow lefties!!!

I'm jsut curious....what makes a lower left handed? I'm a lefty, and i have no problem with a standard lower. i can hit the bolt release with my left pointer finger. release mags with my right thumb.

Remember.... only left handers are in their right mind
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 6:26:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Charles_Cotton:
Capitalist:
I'll keep looking for it; hopefully someone will see our posts. My wife is left-handed, short with short arms. I want to build her a left-hand AR using the "Stubby-Stock" Bushmaster sells. Their web site says its just slightly longer than a compressed telestock, so it should work well for Martha.

If I find the South-Paw lower before someone responds to my original post, I'll post it here and send you an email.

Regards,
Chas.

Sounds good. Keep me informed
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 6:29:12 PM EDT
Hi Guys:
I'd better start proof-reading my posts. It should read left-hand upper; sorry about that!

Chas.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 6:36:40 PM EDT
I just found it. http://www.del-ton.com/ has them.

Chas.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 6:43:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 7:12:47 PM EDT
Midway also has the DPMS 'lefty' upper listed in their gunsmithing catalog.. i'm a lefty and i was also looking at it.. but decided to stick with the regular upper as the case deflector works just fine for me as a lefty.. the onlt thing i added was the ambi- mag release offered by Fulton Armory
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 6:29:44 PM EDT
I just picked up a BM Dissipator and shot lefty for easily 300 rounds with no problem. Only one I could see would be if you're holding the gun with your support hand gripping the magwell and the trap door is closed your thumb could get in the way, but since it pops open when you cycle the bolt back it shouldn't be a big deal unless you're carrying cocked and locked with the door closed. I didn't feel the slightest bit of hot air or anything on my left hand while gripping the mag well and the brass all fell well to the right and didn't interfere, even with my right eye open. Personally, I wouldn't mess with the lefty because that changes a bunch of parts (bolt, carrier???, upper) and replacements probably aren't easy to find. The safety was even easy to use with my left index finger and the rest of the controls were well in reach.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 6:53:34 AM EDT
I am also a lefty. The only thing I change on my AR's is to add an ambidextrous selector. The case deflector does a fine job. My wife is right handed and she likes to shoot, so our guns have to be ambidextrous.

Gary
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:09:38 AM EDT
www.dpmsinc.com/products/south_p.html

There is the link for the whole rifle.
-
Top Top