Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2002 9:29:27 PM EDT
Does anyone know where I might find tools to Install and maintain parts on my AR? Like a Barrel torque wrench, roll pin punches, etc... I have looked at brownells complete tool kit for the AR-15 with its shiny case and all the fixins, But I could almost buy a new lower for that price......... Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:21:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2002 10:22:14 PM EDT by millrad]
Just about any AR parts supplier will have the tools you need. look in the industy board.

Other tools, look at:
MSC industrial supply
McMaster-carr

sorry I don't have the URLs
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 4:12:16 AM EDT
The DPMS Multi-tool works real good. One tool with a number of uses, like barrel wrench, spanner wrench for carbine butstocks, compensator wrench, etc. You will also need an Action Block to tighten the upper in a vice. I have the DPMS Peace River Action Block; works great. Also headspace guages and punches. Most of the tools you need can be had from Midway;www.midwayusa.com. I got my punches and headspace guages from Bushmaster; www.bushmaster.com
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 6:41:54 PM EDT
Alpo
I hear there is a TQ spec when installing the barrel. and brownells is the only supplier with actual TQ wrenches for sale. Dont know how important it is, but if someone posts TQ specs I suppose it has some importance?
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:00:54 AM EDT
I'm not a big fan of the DPMS tool, i buggered up the buffer tube on my colt with it (too large, rounded the "nut" on the tube). I'd go with a GI wrench. www.sherluk.com is where i got my gi wrench.

The subject of torque is a contreversial one here. I use a torque wrench on every bolt on my cars i have a spec on and can get the wrench on, I do the same on my AR. Be aware that the TM is written for the use of a GI wrench so there may be differences of a few percent for aftermarket wrenchs. You can buy a torque wrench at sears, its nothing special. If you are just maintaining your rifle you probably don't need the action block or headspace guages, if you want to put a barrel on you will. Get a good screwdriver set with hollow ground blades for the couple of screws on the AR and just cause you should have non taper screwdrivers for gun screws. Get a good set of punchs both regular and roll pin ( i got mine from brownells but you could check out sears)
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 4:41:45 AM EDT
SBRIT007....the technical manual says the torque spec is 30 ft lbs. and you tighten it to spec then loosen it three times. then the final time tighten it to 30 ft lbs then go to the next position where the hole lines up for the gas tube and never loosen it to line up the hole. Also it says never torqe over 80 ft lbs to align up the hole. A #15 (.180 in)drill bit can be used to help make sure of correct alignment. I used the DPMS Multi-tool when I built my M4 carbine and had no problems with it. I have several torqe wrenches in my tool box from my engine building days. They can be had from Sears, Wal-mart, etc. One of the Military technical manuals is a good investment. They have lots of good info.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 12:33:27 AM EDT
For a armorers wrench that is the best around, check out the Olympic Arms BOSSE wrench. Sells for $27.

Check past messages for those who got them and loved them.

You can see it at www.triplebreakproducts.com/Olympic/h28.htm

mark
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 4:55:03 PM EDT
Since someone here mentioned headspace, maybe you won't mind me getting slighly off the subject of tools and ask a headspace question. I read earlier where "head space adjusts weren't really necessary in the AR system, since headspace is set when the barrel extension is mated to the barrel, and is generally not adjustable." Any comments about this would be helpful. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 4:59:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2002 5:01:19 PM EDT by fizassist]
My understanding is that you only need to check headspace if you're using a new bolt and/or barrel. As long as you keep a matched bolt & barrel, you shouldn't have a problem. A change in either requires checking the headspace, though, I think.

Originally Posted By Prebandanna:
Since someone here mentioned headspace, maybe you won't mind me getting slighly off the subject of tools and ask a headspace question. I read earlier where "head space adjusts weren't really necessary in the AR system, since headspace is set when the barrel extension is mated to the barrel, and is generally not adjustable." Any comments about this would be helpful. Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/13/2002 5:07:47 PM EDT
Sinclair International has some cool tools under high power

www.sinclairintl.com/
Top Top