Link Posted: 10/17/2020 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I do prefer the color of the PLHv2.

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not impressed by the lens durability of the REIN, but I'm sure you didn't need me to say that.
View Quote

I'm not too impressed with it either but at least it is user servicible. Also remember one test does not mean anything, it is all antidotal
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm not too impressed with it either but at least it is user servicible. Also remember one test does not mean anything, it is all antidotal
View Quote

While I agree, I feel, based on that review, that the REIN's lens is not isolated from shock or flex very well. As you mention, a singular test of a dynamic event is rather worthless, but it DID stand out to me as something that appeared to be "a thing". How much it actually matters remains to be seen.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I feel like that video is a bit biased.   The rein lost its lens but it wasnt as big of a deal since you can replace the glass.  I mean i guess if you keep extras on hand that's ok.  I know modlite would take care of you.  They both had damage to the tail cap but the modlite had bumps and dings..as if the rein didnt?  It just seemed like two guys rooting for the rein...not very unbiased but thats just my opinion
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Wish they could simulate real world scenarios but that would take awhile and there are just too many variables. I'm sure you can't go wrong with either one. Still going to wait on my Rein, if I don't like it I will sell it for a Modlite probably. I do like the innovation on the tail cap and battery contacts. Hopefully I get my order shipped soon.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wish they could simulate real world scenarios but that would take awhile and there are just too many variables. I'm sure you can't go wrong with either one. Still going to wait on my Rein, if I don't like it I will sell it for a Modlite probably. I do like the innovation on the tail cap and battery contacts. Hopefully I get my order shipped soon.
View Quote

What's a real-world scenario? Buddy of mine trashed an LMT mono upper on his first run through a shoot house with it. Managed to sammich it between him and a door frame. Donezo. Bent rail. Shit happens. Maybe this thing would fall out of a gun rack on an ATV? Maybe slammed into a cruiser door jamb during a call out? Who knows? Impacts are super hard to re-create in a diverse environment.

What I saw from the video:

-Modlite uses good lens isolation, REIN does not.
-REIN is warmer tint, but the numbers don't like: They both throw about the same.
-REIN has a heavy duty head and you can replace the lens very easily (They make sapphire lenses...interesting idea...but not without better lens isolation, as sapphire is brittle).
-I feel like the reviewers were biased towards the REIN.
-I am not appreciative of how Modlite has responded to this video. I'll go ahead and dub it "Modgate 2020".
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Seemed to me like modlite was just calling the video on their bias, albeit a little extreme. I actually quite enjoy Callahan's reviews. Truthfully i enjoy high quality firearm B roll. I didn't know he was an affiliate of CD though, which is concerning in that regard because it was clearly pushing the rein.

But if I'm being truthful, i wouldn't have bought the rein based on size alone, I hate how big it is compared to an Arisaka M600, Modlite PHLVF2, Surefire D640, ETC. it's just f'ing huge like a streamlight.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What's a real-world scenario? Buddy of mine trashed an LMT mono upper on his first run through a shoot house with it. Managed to sammich it between him and a door frame. Donezo. Bent rail. Shit happens.
View Quote

Was that a Quad rail, LM8, or MLOK?

I feel like if anything the temperature of the PLH V2 makes distant targets look a bit brighter, though I'm convinced from the other video that either the color or the light head design of the REIN lends to more usable spill - despite being advertised as putting out 60k candela/1400 lumens, it seems closer to 50k/1600, at least as a measure of area visibility. In essence, the PLH V2 comes off as being in fact more of an OKW V2, whereas the REIN's output comes off as more of actually being a PLH V2.

Funnily enough, the second dude's video is useful, but you have to ignore what he's saying and just look at the raw results. Still should have done 2 more drops for the REIN.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The main reason I'm hoping to move over to the REIN from PLHv2s is I don't like how you have to piece together your kit with modlite with a Surefire DS07, tapeswitch, and LCS.

Then I found out about how the output was limited by the old school tapeswitch and the modbutton was perennially out of stock.  The LCSs always tear up my rails too and I sold an upper once where they guy gave me a hard time about that.

The REINs battery jack, integrated switch/LCS and wire management all look like solid upgrades.  I just hope I can deal with the color, that's something I hadn't anticipated.

I didn't expect any real difference in the beam patterns since 1350/55,000 vs 1400/60,000 is so similar, though I'd have thought with their circuitry being optimized for 15A 18650s they could have pushed this higher.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:32:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Was that a Quad rail, LM8, or MLOK?

I feel like if anything the temperature of the PLH V2 makes distant targets look a bit brighter, though I'm convinced from the other video that either the color or the light head design of the REIN lends to more usable spill - despite being advertised as putting out 60k candela/1400 lumens, it seems closer to 50k/1600, at least as a measure of area visibility. In essence, the PLH V2 comes off as being in fact more of an OKW V2, whereas the REIN's output comes off as more of actually being a PLH V2.

Funnily enough, the second dude's video is useful, but you have to ignore what he's saying and just look at the raw results. Still should have done 2 more drops for the REIN.
View Quote

Quad rail. This was before mlok. Army ranger, dunno what training it was, but that's his background.

Yes, the rein is visually big, but really, it's about 1/4" more across the bezel than modlite, so 1/8" more clearance needed.

I'd like to see 1" dia, with optics managing beam pattern vs reflectors.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I think Modlite really screwed up with their response.  Both lights have their strengths and weaknesses and it's obvious that video was showcasing the REIN and its design changes over a more traditional light like the Modlite.  I think Modlite had a very strong showing in the vid... the company's response not so much.  The gun community needs to grow up a little bit.  Modgate 2020 is an appropriate name for it.

The REIN about 1.7 oz heavier with battery than the Modlite.  $339 for the rein full package compared to Modlite's $289 (light w/o tail cap) plus another $99 for a DS tail cap and $78 for a modbutton.  CD is punching from a different price point.  And if you're a first responder or military, CD kills it with their discount.  Modlite is on my list to try, but the pricing and lack of inventory always turned me off.

Anyways, I like my full size REIN.  I'll be interested to try a micro.  I don't have an issue with the head size except that I had to take off my magpul suppressor cover when using my arisaka inline mount.  I'll be swapping out the mount to an IWC thorntail type.  

I think it's safe to say that both CD and Modlite are strong performers and are great choices.  CD needs to quit listing stuff in stock when it's actually backordered, though.  The micro is listed as "in stock" right now, but they said it would be a few weeks to ship.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
CD needs to quit listing stuff in stock when it's actually backordered, though.  The micro is listed as "in stock" right now, but they said it would be a few weeks to ship.
View Quote

This. I cancelled my Rein order and bought a Modlite for this reason. I’ll try a Rein out when I don’t have to wait weeks or months for shipment. Plus they charge you at the time of sale for something they don’t have in stock. This practice always annoyed me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This. I cancelled my Rein order and bought a Modlite for this reason. I’ll try a Rein out when I don’t have to wait weeks or months for shipment. Plus they charge you at the time of sale for something they don’t have in stock. This practice always annoyed me.
View Quote

Fucking this, 100% from me as well.  Bush league to take payment with no product to deliver.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Because these newer lights are held back by old switches.
View Quote

That doesn’t pass the logic test. You can absolutely make advancements in circuitry, materials, and everything and still have one legacy connection. It’s just a single connection.

Cmon guys. It’s freaking one or two wires in a plastic housing that molded in a specific shape. How are two wires and a molded plastic part holding up “the future”

It’s another example of guys who know guns mistakenly thinking they are also good at business.  The number of sales they lost due to this decision is probably a lot more than you’d think.

Although I guess since they’ll probably only be able to produce three every quarter it doesn’t matter anyway lol.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#15]
@AIWB
Quoted:
How are two wires and a molded plastic part holding up “the future”
View Quote

Wires are rated for amps. Some aren't rated high enough and restrict current.

This is Electronics 101.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That doesn’t pass the logic test. You can absolutely make advancements in circuitry, materials, and everything and still have one legacy connection. It’s just a single connection.

Cmon guys. It’s freaking one or two wires in a plastic housing that molded in a specific shape. How are two wires and a molded plastic part holding up “the future”

It’s another example of guys who know guns mistakenly thinking they are also good at business.  The number of sales they lost due to this decision is probably a lot more than you’d think.

Although I guess since they’ll probably only be able to produce three every quarter it doesn’t matter anyway lol.
View Quote

Current lights can support a 10 or 15 amp draw, which 18650s can provide.

These old switches were designed when only 3 amp batteries were being used.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Current lights can support a 10 or 15 amp draw, which 18650s can provide.

These old switches were designed when only 3 amp batteries were being used.
View Quote

That's all a modlite is pulling at the tail cap, +- 0.2 or so.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think Modlite really screwed up with their response.  Both lights have their strengths and weaknesses and it's obvious that video was showcasing the REIN and its design changes over a more traditional light like the Modlite.  I think Modlite had a very strong showing in the vid... the company's response not so much.  The gun community needs to grow up a little bit.  Modgate 2020 is an appropriate name for it.

The REIN about 1.7 oz heavier with battery than the Modlite.  $339 for the rein full package compared to Modlite's $289 (light w/o tail cap) plus another $99 for a DS tail cap and $78 for a modbutton.  CD is punching from a different price point.  And if you're a first responder or military, CD kills it with their discount.  Modlite is on my list to try, but the pricing and lack of inventory always turned me off.

Anyways, I like my full size REIN.  I'll be interested to try a micro.  I don't have an issue with the head size except that I had to take off my magpul suppressor cover when using my arisaka inline mount.  I'll be swapping out the mount to an IWC thorntail type.  

I think it's safe to say that both CD and Modlite are strong performers and are great choices.  CD needs to quit listing stuff in stock when it's actually backordered, though.  The micro is listed as "in stock" right now, but they said it would be a few weeks to ship.
View Quote

All of this. I'm more unimpressed by Modlite's hissy fit than I am impressed by the Rein. The OWL blew me away, but the Rein just seems like another option on the table. I also didn't have to pay in advance for something I had to wait for. I won't buy from Optics Planet for that reason so I'll wait til a vendor has a Rein in stock down the road. I probably won't buy a Modlite after that little bitch fit, but they both have egg on their faces.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#19]
What was modlites response?   Their lights are fantastic but the owner comes off pretty harsh.   Ive seen him tell people on the fb owners group that were asking about shipping delays to shut the fuck up and tell them that they may get sympathy from other comoabut not him etc.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I couldn’t hear what was being said in the video because of the noise here at work but it looked like both suffered cracked lenses during his tests .
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What was modlites response?   Their lights are fantastic but the owner comes off pretty harsh.   Ive seen him tell people on the fb owners group that were asking about shipping delays to shut the fuck up and tell them that they may get sympathy from other comoabut not him etc.
View Quote

Guys put out a review comparing and said they like the Rein slightly more for being user serviceable. ML accuses them and everyone under that media group of being paid shills. Basically insinuating CD pays people for good reviews and to put ML down. In the process they back stabbed a shit ton of highly regarded YouTube gun channels, majority of which praised ML before.

Modlite took a shit in their own living room, stepped in it, then blamed their neighbor.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Guys put out a review comparing and said they like the Rein slightly more. ML accuses them and everyone under that media group of being paid shills. Basically insinuating CD pays people for good reviews and to put ML down. In the process they back stabbed a shit ton of highly regarded YouTube gun channels, majority of which praised ML before.

Modlite took a shit in their own living room, stepped in it, then blamed their neighbor.
View Quote

It wasn't any new information.  Even the tards that couldn't see it all along should have been made aware during the screenshot with pricing hubaloo.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It wasn't any new information.  Even the tards that couldn't see it all along should have been made aware during the screenshot with pricing hubaloo.
View Quote

...but what would an IR Spectral analysis show?
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

So all the times where the same reviewers talked up Modlite are legitimate, but if they say they like something else too, they're shills?

Garand Thumb made a video explaining how Leviathan works. The reviewer in question also made a video update stating he didn't receive funds from Cloud. If we're to assume they're all paid shills, that means all of their positive Modlite reviews are invalid and Modlite pays people too, right?
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So all the times where the same reviewers talked up Modlite are legitimate, but if they say they like something else too, they're shills?

Garand Thumb made a video explaining how Leviathan works. The reviewer in question also made a video update stating he didn't receive funds from Cloud. If we're to assume they're all paid shills, that means all of their positive Modlite reviews are invalid and Modlite pays people too, right?
View Quote

Everyone on YouTube is shilling to varying degrees.  They don't have "review" channels for fun, it is money for them.

If you want to see how something works or get a closer look before buying, check the YouTube videos but don't listen to the people.

It is funny how little they try to veil it with multiple videos hitting the day before public release so often.  I guess Modliite had an emotional response to what they perceived as a biased review and felt the need to once again expose the lack of integrity on youtube.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#26]
My review channel actually IS for fun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Everyone on YouTube is shilling to varying degrees.  They don't have "review" channels for fun, it is money for them.

If you want to see how something works or get a closer look before buying, check the YouTube videos but don't listen to the people.

It is funny how little they try to veil it with multiple videos hitting the day before public release so often.  I guess Modliite had an emotional response to what they perceived as a biased review and felt the need to once again expose the lack of integrity on youtube.
View Quote

I think it's pretty easy to take them for what they're worth. For the video in question, I do think a user serviceable head is an awesome feature. I really see no reason at all to not be able to change out the lens yourself. I wouldn't make a cringey destructive testing video to prove that point, but that doesn't mean I was taken by a shill, nor does it make that feature invalid.

ETA: If I were to make a review I would see that as a good sell point I would mention too, and I sure as shit ain't ever getting paid for it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I've never broken a lens and probably never will but also think it is a nice feature.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The reviewer in question also made a video update stating he didn't receive funds from Cloud.
View Quote

For the specific video? Maybe not.

He does have a Cloud discount code which gives him a cut every time someone uses it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I may wait to see some more in hands reviews before trying one
again, the battery jack seems to be the coolest thing
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@AIWB

Wires are rated for amps. Some aren't rated high enough and restrict current.

This is Electronics 101.
View Quote

A little thicker gauge wires can be employed.  Don’t tell me an updated plug can’t be fairly easily made and then they’d  have the bonus of being able to tout how theirs doesn’t have an amperage bottleneck.

Again, totally dumb to not use an “updated” legacy plug.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Guys put out a review comparing and said they like the Rein slightly more for being user serviceable. ML accuses them and everyone under that media group of being paid shills. Basically insinuating CD pays people for good reviews and to put ML down. In the process they back stabbed a shit ton of highly regarded YouTube gun channels, majority of which praised ML before.

View Quote

Except most of them are shills. Kickbacks through discount code links. Free products totaling tens of thousands, straight up paid money for videos (Olight).

I’m honestly shocked this has to be said. It’s about money. Most people will whore themselves out for it and then justify why it’s ok they are doing it.

And hey, making money is great. It’s up to the viewer not to be naive. Not to only trust one YouTube channel or forum or blog or magazine.

Speaking of gun magazines, they make these YouTubers look like amateurs when it comes to shilling.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just like most things in life this isn’t all or nothing.

Common sense time, if most of these guys aren’t paid shills why be a part of this group?  Is Leviathan helping them out of the goodness of their heart?

There is nonsense going on here somewhere and it’s as obvious as the sun in the sky on a desert day.

Sootch00 casually walks by and whistles*
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Just like most things in life this isn’t all or nothing.

Common sense time, if most of these guys aren’t paid shills why be a part of this group?  Is Leviathan helping them out of the goodness of their heart?

There is nonsense going on here somewhere and it’s as obvious as the sun in the sky on a desert day.

Sootch00 casually walks by and whistles*
View Quote

If you watch Garand Thumb's video, he claims Leviathan only gets paid by retail sponsors, not manufacturers.

Regardless if that's true or not, either Modlite does the same exact thing, or they have to admit they made false claims. Its even less common sense to think their good reviews are not influenced, but all good reviews of their competitors are.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I may wait to see some more in hands reviews before trying one
again, the battery jack seems to be the coolest thing
View Quote

The batteryjack is the one thing that I feel really sets my REIN apart from other offerings. It may or may not be necessary on a 5.56 gun, but it damn sure is a fine bit of engineering and I really like it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

A little thicker gauge wires can be employed.  Don’t tell me an updated plug can’t be fairly easily made and then they’d  have the bonus of being able to tout how theirs doesn’t have an amperage bottleneck.

Again, totally dumb to not use an “updated” legacy plug.
View Quote

I think in addition to plug wiring, the angle in which the wire exits and spring tensions were problems.  Instead of just addressing just one of the known problems, they tried to correct all of them.  

I know as gun owners, there are two things we hate.  1. Change.  2. The way things are.  

I think their design decision was brave.  It may not be backwards compatible, but that's not always a bad thing.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Regardless if that's true or not, either Modlite does the same exact thing, or they have to admit they made false claims. Its even less common sense to think their good reviews are not influenced, but all good reviews of their competitors are.
View Quote

Its funny how a lot of this discussion revolves around Youtubers maybe, hypothetically, getting paid in some way that might influence their opinions - so this money compromises their judgement and their reviews might just be bogus. But we don't really levy the same complaint towards Modlite. They aren't selling lights for charity. They are here to make a dollar, same as anyone else.

Just seems weird how right after the launch of their new product they announce they have a smoking gun of a Youtube Shill Deepstate - of which a number of those reviewers have... Spoken highly of Modlite in the past as well? Hm. And it's only about a single channel posting a single review? Of which the review while Rein leaning was pretty okay? Hm.

If we are going to be afraid of manufacturers paying people for reviews and getting biased information we also need to be worried about those channels and reviewers getting blown up and attacked for posting innocuous comments and criticisms. I would rather live in a world where Youtubers get given free product to review and have an implicit pressure to not trash it lest they lose access to free product in the future, vs the world where if you offer even a mild criticism on a product that company will then go and try and character assassinate your credibility
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I know as gun owners, there are two things we hate.  1. Change.  2. The way things are.  

I think their design decision was brave.  It may not be backwards compatible, but that's not always a bad thing.
View Quote

I think people will put up with it because the pad is included, but there are going to be a number of people who are miffed that you have to use their specific pad with it's specific buttons and placement. We got Hot Buttons and TAPS for days but I have to use the Rein pad?

I don't think their design decision was brave in terms of pushing us forward - it was more brave in that they have the market share to force their solution down your throat. Think Streamlight: we put up with the HLX just because it's cheap and it's included in the box... But it's also the thing everyone hates cause it breaks.

This will probably be a moot point in the future because all we have to do is wait for Arisaka to make a REIN to Surefire adapter just like they did for the HLX and we're set. Who knows if or when it would happen, but there is a few easy dollars to be made in there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#39]
For everyone waiting still waiting on their orders, my order 623XX shipped. My order was Rein with tape switch and torrent M-Lok offset mount. It should arrive tomorrow. I will probably follow up with a first impressions "review" after a couple days.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Any chance of a REIN with IR capabilities?  Love the rein package but really would love to see IR integrated somehow.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 2:38:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Well, I don't really know about or give a shit about the YouTube drama going on, but I do really like my Rein full size with switch kit. It's bright, and the switch is cleaner than any other I've tried. It's a little big, but I'm ok with that. I absolutely like it better than my Surefire DFs, and I think I like it better than my Modlite. I finally got out to do a night shoot with it and I think I'll eventually be replacing the rest of my lights. Modlite right now is the only thing coming close, and for my applications I appreciate CD's innovation on the switch enough for the Rein to be my go to. As long as this thing holds up while I'm putting it through its paces over the next few months, I'm converting over 100%.

I have always had an issue with CD's sales and marketing. The rollout and release of the Rein was leaps and bounds better than the rollout for the OWL, but it still reeked of some of the bad practices from the OWL. The OWL release left a really bad taste in my mouth, but I make the purchase anyways and at least they shipped it to me within a month haha. I placed my order within 3 minutes of the sale page going live. At least I didn't have to cancel my order this time like I did with the OWL. I don't like being told something is in stock only to find out I'm funding a start-up in reality. Wasn't quite as bad this time like I said, and I hope it gets better as initial demand goes away.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't have a dog in this fight, but when the guy dropped the cloud one time, and dropped the modlite 3 times, It looked like a fanboy vid to me. Drop them both the same amount of times, or I call bullshit.
Seemed to me he had an oh shit moment when the lens cracked, and didn't want to damage the bezel so his "field serviceable" crap would be negated.
I haven't carried a weapon for money in decades, and I really don't need to spend 300 bucks for a light at this time. It just struck me as funny that the guy stopped dropping the light after the lens failed, and he continued to drop the other one until he got damage he could comment on.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well, I don't really know about or give a shit about the YouTube drama going on, but I do really like my Rein full size with switch kit. It's bright, and the switch is cleaner than any other I've tried. It's a little big, but I'm ok with that. I absolutely like it better than my Surefire DFs, and I think I like it better than my Modlite. I finally got out to do a night shoot with it and I think I'll eventually be replacing the rest of my lights. Modlite right now is the only thing coming close, and for my applications I appreciate CD's innovation on the switch enough for the Rein to be my go to. As long as this thing holds up while I'm putting it through its paces over the next few months, I'm converting over 100%.

I have always had an issue with CD's sales and marketing. The rollout and release of the Rein was leaps and bounds better than the rollout for the OWL, but it still reeked of some of the bad practices from the OWL. The OWL release left a really bad taste in my mouth, but I make the purchase anyways and at least they shipped it to me within a month haha. I placed my order within 3 minutes of the sale page going live. At least I didn't have to cancel my order this time like I did with the OWL. I don't like being told something is in stock only to find out I'm funding a start-up in reality. Wasn't quite as bad this time like I said, and I hope it gets better as initial demand goes away.
View Quote

I sold all of my modlites and replaced them with REIN's.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't have a dog in this fight, but when the guy dropped the cloud one time, and dropped the modlite 3 times, It looked like a fanboy vid to me. Drop them both the same amount of times, or I call bullshit.
Seemed to me he had an oh shit moment when the lens cracked, and didn't want to damage the bezel so his "field serviceable" crap would be negated.
I haven't carried a weapon for money in decades, and I really don't need to spend 300 bucks for a light at this time. It just struck me as funny that the guy stopped dropping the light after the lens failed, and he continued to drop the other one until he got damage he could comment on.
View Quote

Dropping them is kindof lame the way they did it because there was no control of the AoA. Drop tests are incredibly hard to re-create fairly in your garage.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Dropping them is kindof lame the way they did it because there was no control of the AoA. Drop tests are incredibly hard to re-create fairly in your garage.
View Quote

I cannot argue with that. Dropping them down through a 10' piece of pvc pipe would have made the test more repeatable. He stopped dropping the first one after the lens cracked because he didn't want more damage to show. He continued to drop the second one, hoping to crack the lens as well.
That is just my opinion.
I own neither one of these lights, nor will I ever, unless someone gives me one.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I sold all of my modlites and replaced them with REIN's.
View Quote

I find that the streamlight pistol lights work well enough for me on both pistols and rifles. However, after seeing the abuse the guy gave the nightsitck in the video I posted in this forum, I will be buying those in the future.
My needs are using in the house, and dispatching critters in the back yard. If I were depending on them daily to keep me alive, I can see spending the money.
Even with how things are going, I do not envision myself shooting someone 150 yards away at night, much less in the day.
My main comment was that the they guy doing the testing seemed to me to obviously favor the light with the lens failure over the other one.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I had to laugh at that video. At the end of the day (or night), if my light went through all of that and still functioned I wouldn't care about user servicability. I wouldn't even be mad if the company told me to pound sand. The fact that the light still worked means it got me through whatever crazy hell I got myself into. At that point I would happily buy a new one and frame the busted up light that went through all of that. I mean seriously, it took a sledgehammer to the bezzle to finally kill the Modlite and even though the lens was broken the CD still worked.

In terms of user servicability, what's to say Modlite wouldn't have just sent a whole new head? Either way you're waiting on shipping so what's the difference?
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Bought an OWL once and sold it as soon as I got home from the range. It was cool but bulky and didn’t really have a place on anything I have. I have 5 of 6 Modlite OKW’s and they are my go to. Haven’t tried the Rein and probably won’t because it looks bulky still compared to others and I’m not a fan of the proprietary switch, or the color but understand why some would like it as compared to the Modlite. The Modlite with the modbutton and a unity tactical lightning is the best set up so far imo.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Bought an OWL once and sold it as soon as I got home from the range. It was cool but bulky and didn’t really have a place on anything I have. I have 5 of 6 Modlite OKW’s and they are my go to. Haven’t tried the Rein and probably won’t because it looks bulky still compared to others and I’m not a fan of the proprietary switch, or the color but understand why some would like it as compared to the Modlite. The Modlite with the modbutton and a unity tactical lightning is the best set up so far imo.
View Quote

Yeah I really wanted to like the OWL. I love the concept, and having the light and switch be one unit is actually super smart, but it was just too bulky. The REIN is really hitting the spot for me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Has anyone heard a status update for the FDE reins?
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top