AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@pumbaajk
Thanks
Do you actually run 2 lights OR this is just for the picture to show how it looks on both sides?
View Quote

I actually run two. The one on the left is the white light that is depressed with my thumb and the right side is the IR that's slaved with the unity taps and the dbal.

I am playing with this setup right now and so far I am liking it for the cost.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I ordered the PLHv2 in the 18350 for my 8” SBR, I haven’t seen an update from Big Tex since I ordered on 3/24.  There isn’t much rail space and I was trying to save weight.  I’m running a Saker most of the time, but I still don’t want the light getting hammered by muzzle blast if the can is off.  I’m not going to be able to get the light far enough forward to eliminate the shadow from a 7.5” can.  I’m still looking for a mount that will place the light high and tight at 10:30 while clearing the suppressor cover.  The BCM keymod Mount works with the HLX, but I’d like it higher.  The Arisaka inline mount is too tight for the HLX but may work fine with the Modlite.  The new Modbutton with the integrated mount may be just what I want for a mount.  I’ll hold off on ordering anything else until someone here reviews it.

I’ll probably end up ordering an old model PLH with the 18650 too.  I’ll run the PLHv2 head with the 18650 body on the 5.56 and the PHL head on the 18350 body on my 8” .300 blackout that I use in the house.

View Quote

Same boat, well, 3/25 for my order.  I ordered from modlight AFTER placing my order with Big Tex and got the package from them within 3 days

I sent them an email asking for an update today.  2-5 delay has now turned into almost a 10 day delay.

BTW, mod button works great.  It just limits your ability to run a BUIS next to the light AND marries the button position to the light.  That fusion adapter wing may work for you if you're running a longer setup.

ETA Just got my shipping notification.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#3]
This looks like a great light. I'm wanting to replace my Olight M2R Pro with an American light that's on a SBR with an Omega. I went to their website and it doesn't seem to have a lot of details.

1. What's the total weight on this with battery?
2. Can I use an inline Scout mount?
3. I'm not used to seeing Candela measurements. How does this stack up against the M2R Pro for beam distance? M2R Pro says 22,400 candela and 300m. PLHv2 says 54,000 candela, but no distance rating.
4. Which tailcap do I need to get a momentary on and constant on with different types of presses?
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This looks like a great light. I'm wanting to replace my Olight M2R Pro with an American light that's on a SBR with an Omega. I went to their website and it doesn't seem to have a lot of details.

3. I'm not used to seeing Candela measurements. How does this stack up against the M2R Pro for beam distance? M2R Pro says 22,400 candela and 300m. PLHv2 says 54,000 candela, but no distance rating.
4. Which tailcap do I need to get a momentary on and constant on with different types of presses?
View Quote

Order from Big Tex. They will have everything you need and will already have matching mounts, tails caps, spare parts, ect all lined out for you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:45:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don’t have a scale to weigh but the pro feels double the weight if not more than the modlite with an 18650
the modlite is compatible with all scout mounts
Obviously the higher the candela the longer the distance. The PLHv2 would probably be rated somewhere between 400-450m. I don’t live in a a region to test out to 400m, though in my experience how they rate the distance you could pretty much cut that in half for what the naked eye is actually able to see
View Quote
as for the activation you require, you need the SR07 tape switch with the UE cap. Pressure pad for your momentary with a separate raised clicky button for constant on
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:20:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the Big Tex links and code. I ended up buying the Modlite PLH v2. I wasn't sure what tailcap to get, so I just stuck with the Modlite one. I'm still unsure of the interface, but it sounds like it does momentary on with a slight button press and constant on with a longer button press?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the Big Tex links and code. I ended up buying the Modlite PLH v2. I wasn't sure what tailcap to get, so I just stuck with the Modlite one. I'm still unsure of the interface, but it sounds like it does momentary on with a slight button press and constant on with a longer button press?
View Quote

That’s right.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:31:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Technically yes, real world no.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Technically yes, real world no.
View Quote

Does the switch not work well or something?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Does the switch not work well or something?
View Quote

Switch works fine.  The modlite clickys take a pretty light touch to turn on in momentary mode (lighter than surefire imo). Pressing forward significantly further will put the light into constant on.  

I suppose under stress ine could push forward and accidentally go straight to constant mode instead of momentary, but that would be the same situation with any clicky tail cap.

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Switch works fine.  The modlite clickys take a pretty light touch to turn on in momentary mode (lighter than surefire imo). Pressing forward significantly further will put the light into constant on.  

I suppose under stress ine could push forward and accidentally go straight to constant mode instead of momentary, but that would be the same situation with any clicky tail cap.

View Quote

Makes sense. This is going on my home duty SBR. Been using my current Olight quite a bit for coyotes and it's worked well so far, but that's probably not under the most stressful situation.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I was on the fence about purchasing a PLHv2, but took the plunge after that code was posted.  Thanks (I think ).
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#13]
My Modlite with PLHv2 arrived today.  I’m waiting for the batteries to charge and nightfall to test it out.  I was on the fence between PLH and PLHv2 based on spill.

Has anyone received their Modbutton yet?  I’m trying to figure out where the light bolted directly to it would be positioned and if it would be visible through a T-2.  It looks like a great solution to mounting and the button.  It also looks like the Modbutton as a mount will make it easy to switch the light setup from rifle to rifle, almost too bad it’s not QD.

ETA: I convinced myself to order on from Big Tex along with some other parts I needed.  The ability to easily move it gun to gun is a big selling point, no need to buy another light for a different rifle.  Also no need for the Cloud Defensive switch mounts that I already ordered.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My Modlite with PLHv2 arrived today.  I’m waiting for the batteries to charge and nightfall to test it out.  I was on the fence between PLH and PLHv2 based on spill.

Has anyone received their Modbutton yet?  I’m trying to figure out where the light bolted directly to it would be positioned and if it would be visible through a T-2.  It looks like a great solution to mounting and the button.  It also looks like the Modbutton as a mount will make it easy to switch the light setup from rifle to rifle, almost too bad it’s not QD.

ETA: I convinced myself to order on from Big Tex along with some other parts I needed.  The ability to easily move it gun to gun is a big selling point, no need to buy another light for a different rifle.  Also no need for the Cloud Defensive switch mounts that I already ordered.
View Quote

I've had mine for a week now. This is on top of an 11.5" LMT MLC upper and you can't see the light through the optic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've had mine for a week now. This is on top of an 11.5" LMT MLC upper and you can't see the light through the optic.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/262192/IMG_3746_jpg-1354799.JPG
View Quote

Thanks for the pic.  How high does the light sit compared to the top rail?  I'm hoping high enough to lower the suppressor shadow to lower quadrant of the light.

Are you generally happy with it compared to other options?
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks for the pic.  How high does the light sit compared to the top rail?  I'm hoping high enough to lower the suppressor shadow to lower quadrant of the light.

Are you generally happy with it compared to other options?
View Quote

If your running a suppressor, you should be using a TRex Arms Light Bar.  It'll move the light forward quite a bit and really helps to minimize the shadow.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If your running a suppressor, you should be using a TRex Arms Light Bar.  It'll move the light forward quite a bit and really helps to minimize the shadow.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/194176/LightBarModlite_jpeg-1355406.JPG
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/194176/LightBarModlite_jpeg-1355406.JPG
View Quote

I posted the Trex bar in another thread and I may end up with one.  I was also thinking it might be possible to modify and run the Unity FUSION LightWing Adapter on the wrong side, in my case the right side version with the modbutton bracket on the left, to move the light from 10:30 to 11 something and get the light over the suppressor.  I also don't want the light so far forward that the assembled bracketry becomes fragile.  Ultimately I may wish I'd have gotten the longer body of the 18650 over the 18350.

I run a Saker 5.56 on my 10.5 and a Saker 7.62 on my 8" 300 blackout, both of which use BCM rails.  The shadow doesn't bother me that much, with my HLX on the 8" there is so much spill that the reflection off walls generally lights the area.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Just got my Modlite PLH2 in today. Great light with some nice throw and spill.

Only problem is that the shadow of my suppressor is much more pronounced than the Olight M2R Pro when running an inline Scout mount at 10:30. So it looks like the T-Rex may be a good solution. Another option may be the Unity FUSION LightWing adapter.

I was hoping to keep using the clicky tailcap, but it doesn't look like an option. Is the ModButton the best switch to get or is there another option I should look at?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just got my Modlite PLH2 in today. Great light with some nice throw and spill.

Only problem is that the shadow of my suppressor is much more pronounced than the Olight M2R Pro when running an inline Scout mount at 10:30. So it looks like the T-Rex may be a good solution. Another option may be the Unity FUSION LightWing adapter.

I was hoping to keep using the clicky tailcap, but it doesn't look like an option. Is the ModButton the best switch to get or is there another option I should look at?
View Quote

I took mine outside to check out the beam pattern, I can honestly say I’d prefer more spill.  The throw is nice for targets at distance, but the spill is certainly lacking for anything within 10-25 yards.  The HLX on my other rifle has much better spill while still providing enough throw for me in an urban setting.  I’m very pleased with the quality of the Modlite, but I may be returning the PLHv2 in favor of the original PLH.  I would also go 18650 instead of 18350 if I return and reorder.

I don’t like the position of the Unity Fusion LightWing, I want the light coming up over the suppressor as much as possible rather than putting the light directly on one side.

I will have both the Modbutton and the SureFire/Cloud Defense setup in hand shortly.  I’m expecting to prefer the Modbutton because the integrated mount will raise the light up over the suppressor better.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I took mine outside to check out the beam pattern, I can honestly say I’d prefer more spill.  The throw is nice for targets at distance, but the spill is certainly lacking for anything within 10-25 yards.  The HLX on my other rifle has much better spill while still providing enough throw for me in an urban setting.  I’m very pleased with the quality of the Modlite, but I may be returning the PLHv2 in favor of the original PLH.  I would also go 18650 instead of 18350 if I return and reorder.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I need to wait until night before I can test it out some more. Just indoors though, it looks good. But I don't have the HLX, so I'm comparing it to the Olight M2R Pro.

Quoted:
I don’t like the position of the Unity Fusion LightWing, I want the light coming up over the suppressor as much as possible rather than putting the light directly on one side.

Right now, I'm just using the Thorntail inline M-Lok at 10:30. The shadow isn't as bad as I originally thought. I don't see it when I look down the Aimpoint T1, so I may stick with this setup. Still debating if there is a better inline mount that may push the light a little farther out or go with a 12:00 picatinny mount like the Thorntail Offset Adaptive Light Mount (Picatinny) for the 10:30 setup.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I clicked thinking there was going to be a new Arfcom moderator with limited powers.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Just for an update. I have put about 1000 rounds through my rifle in the last month since I got the PLHV2. I have the light mounted right by the compensator on my 11.5 inch rifle. The light has been handling the concussion from the muzzle device really well. The lens has been completely black at times from the carbon, yet the light is holding up very well.

Not that anyone was questioning it, but I just wanted to let everyone know that the light can take some abuse.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just for an update. I have put about 1000 rounds through my rifle in the last month since I got the PLHV2. I have the light mounted right by the compensator on my 11.5 inch rifle. The light has been handling the concussion from the muzzle device really well. The lens has been completely black at times from the carbon, yet the light is holding up very well.

Not that anyone was questioning it, but I just wanted to let everyone know that the light can take some abuse.
View Quote

Sage Dynamics did a torture test with a lantac brake and it took that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Do any of you guys have the modlite tailcaps installed on your lights?

Trying to see how they compare to the Surefires, as I am running out of my stash of surefire caps.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Do any of you guys have the modlite tailcaps installed on your lights?

Trying to see how they compare to the Surefires, as I am running out of my stash of surefire caps.
View Quote

The Modlite tailcap is good enough, but if you had to choose between one or the other the Surefire cap wins out easily.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#27]

The Modlite tailcap is good enough, but if you had to choose between one or the other the Surefire cap wins out easily.
View Quote

In what way is it better? I only have the Modlite clicky tailcap, but if the Surefire is worth the money...
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a m600DF and a PLHv2 head on the way. I run the SR07 tape switch through a DS00 tail cap. Modlite claims current tape switches reduce power by 15-20%, as opposed to their own or the Unity switch. So, if this is true, I should be able to see (or maybe measure, rather) a difference in performance when using the tape switch compared to the DS00 button, right? Seems like this would have been something noticed prior to Modlite saying it's true, as 20% seems significant. I don't have equipment to measure lumen or candela, but I would love to see someone test this with equipment. I can tell you with the DF head, I can't tell a difference between the tape switch and the DS00 button, but I know that my human eye may not be sensitive enough to tell. Just curios, really. Not planning on ditching my SR07 either way.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In what way is it better? I only have the Modlite clicky tailcap, but if the Surefire is worth the money...
View Quote

Oh man, it's really hard to quantify. But the button is a tad larger, less deep past the guard, and feels ever so slightly better when pushed.

I wouldn't say you should go spend the MSRP on replacing the tailcap. The difference isn't that significant that it's worth 30-40 bucks... but if you were buying a light and had to choose between their tailcap and a Z68, I'd go with the Z every time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I run the PLHv1 on my "in the house gun" which is a 9mm AR suppressed carbine.  I prefer the V2 on my outside guns.....they are the best lights I've ever had for "bunny bustin'".  It makes for fun practice for the Zombie Apocalypse.  Went out last weekend and got 83 of them little critters.  

Here's a pic of the "House Gun".....its still wearing the Cloud OWL in this pic....but now its wearing the PLHv1 -18350 on a Modbutton which you can see in the second pic.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Looks good! I've got a M600DF which I thought was the way to go until a friend showed me Modlites. The M600DF is definitely an "all the lumens" flood with no throw. I think I'll get the PLH v2 for my MK18 rig

Thanks for the info guys!
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#32]
PLHv2 arrived for the LMT MRP

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm wanting to try out a modlite with some more candella/throw.

I currently have an Arisaka, couple Surefire scouts, (one DF)... Put me in the "pretty happy with the DF output" category, especially on an HD gun. I probably don't know what I am missing, as many of you suggest.

Question is:  You can get a Surefire DF Pro on Big Daddy unlimited for $220 and that includes M-lok and picatinny mounts! Haven't tried one, but the new mount looks great to me...

Modlite with a BoBro mount ( I want the pivot ) is going to be near double the price. So, it's good, but is it twice a good?

(budget and all that)

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I currently have an Arisaka, couple Surefire scouts, (one DF)... Put me in the "pretty happy with the DF output" category, especially on an HD gun. I probably don't know what I am missing, as many of you suggest.

Question is:  You can get a Surefire DF Pro on Big Daddy unlimited for $220 and that includes M-lok and picatinny mounts! Haven't tried one, but the new mount looks great to me...

Modlite with a BoBro mount ( I want the pivot ) is going to be near double the price. So, it's good, but is it twice a good?

(budget and all that)

View Quote

For a home defense setup where the primary concern is indoor shooting, the DF is in my opinion better than the currently available modlites.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

(budget and all that)

View Quote
You could buy just the Modlite head to see for yourself. If you like it, buy the body and tailcap setup you like. If not, you'll have no problem selling the head for close to what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You could buy just the Modlite head to see for yourself. If you like it, buy the body and tailcap setup you like. If not, you'll have no problem selling the head for close to what you paid for it.
View Quote

I need a whole new light set up for a new build. I think my hangup is that I actually like the new scout body more than the other options. I have 2 Arisaka mounts that have not been great for me personally, and the swing mount gives me the option to run uptight to HG for now, but swing out if I mount IR lasers in the future, or that's what I'm thinking at least...

I'll probably just get a Scout DF Pro for now (whole light with mounts costs less then Modlite head!). Seems like the best value option to get a quality light on this gun ASAP, and then try a fancy(er) head later when funds allow.

Unless I randomly find a Scout Pro Body cheap in EE or something...
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I need a whole new light set up for a new build. I think my hangup is that I actually like the new scout body more than the other options. I have 2 Arisaka mounts that have not been great for me personally, and the swing mount gives me the option to run uptight to HG for now, but swing out if I mount IR lasers in the future, or that's what I'm thinking at least...

I'll probably just get a Scout DF Pro for now (whole light with mounts costs less then Modlite head!). Seems like the best value option to get a quality light on this gun ASAP, and then try a fancy(er) head later when funds allow.

Unless I randomly find a Scout Pro Body cheap in EE or something...
View Quote
I don't disagree with your thinking there (besides the Arisaka comment, love mine, but I don't run IR). I doub't you'll see many DF Pro's on the EE for a little while, they are pretty new yet for people to really start offloading them. Just the people who decide it doesn't do what thry thought it would. I'm going to keep both my PLHv2 and KE2-DF heads and play around with them in differents situations for awhile.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Does anyone have pics of this at 150-200 yards? I'd be interested to see how well it throws light at longer range.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Does anyone know if Modlite will offer FDE in the near future?
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if Modlite will offer FDE in the near future?
View Quote

They have been pretty adamant about not having any plans to release an fde offering in the past.

I emailed them about this months ago and I received a simple “nope” reply.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

Here's a PLHv2 pic.

The stop sign is ~200m away (measured with google maps).  Pic was taken at 5 am, I didn't have anyplace handy with no street lights.

The spill is not bad, and indoors it bounces off walls well enough that you have no issues seeing anything you need to see.

People are overblowing the "this light has no spill." It does.

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Does anyone have pics of this at 150-200 yards? I'd be interested to see how well it throws light at longer range.
View Quote

Have you seen this video? Not exactly what your looking for. It was made before the PLH v2 was released. The PLH v2 will fall right in between the PLH and the OKW, and the specs come pretty close to the CD owl, the modlite will have a cooler temp. The video only goes out to 100 yards. Hopefully with the example above and with this video you get an idea.

P&S and InRangeTV Present: Weaponlight Comparison 2019

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/65726/20200327_055734_jpg-1362165.JPG

Here's a PLHv2 pic.

The stop sign is ~200m away (measured with google maps).  Pic was taken at 5 am, I didn't have anyplace handy with no street lights.

The spill is not bad, and indoors it bounces off walls well enough that you have no issues seeing anything you need to see.

People are overblowing the "this light has no spill." It does.

View Quote

Anyone saying it has no spill is being dishonest or has an IQ equivalent to room temperature.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Anyone saying it has no spill is being dishonest or has an IQ equivalent to room temperature.
View Quote

Room temp in a Texas summer or winter? This matters...
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Just ordered a PLHv2-18350. Hoping it was worth the cost!
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

You will be impressed. Only thing to outdo it is the okw as far as distance.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
As soon as I took my Plhv2 outside, I sold my m600DF head. Works fine indoors as well, definitely worth it to me
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#48]
My PLHV2 arrived yesterday. Took it outside last night and it worked great - was lighting things up a couple of hundred yards out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Also, not modlite or mcclicky specific, but just in general how clickies do under stress.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Got a PLHV2 to replace a Surefire M600U Scout and its definitely a much brighter. The Scout has a more evenly dispersed throw while the Modlite has usable scatter but a much more distinct hotspot. I like the color the Modlite puts out quite a bit better than the much warmer Scout light color.

I was a bit worried as I put both batteries on the charger (which rocks BTW) and after a few days of testing around the yard/house I was getting flickering and reduced output. Using the Modlite with a UE tailcap and SR07 pad. Took the battery out and put it on the charger to check the battery level. Was only 1 bar down from full. Unplugged the SR07 and reinserted. No issues since but didn't have any issues with the Scout. Will keep monitoring and I've been activating the light via SR07 as much as possible just to keep checking if the issue happens again but no further issues as of now.

I do have several email alerts setup with various vendors for a Unity MLOK Hot-Button to replace the SR07. I'd like a Mod Button as well if they'd issue a version without the integrated mount.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top