Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The first two digits are the diameter of the battery (18mm)

The third and fourth digits are the length of the battery  (65mm) or (35mm)
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got my plh v2 in. When I shake the light it turns on briefly. Without activating the tailcap button. 18650 body. Something has to be wrong with it?
Basically if the light gets bump it would activate/turn on for a second
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just got my plh v2 in. When I shake the light it turns on briefly. Without activating the tailcap button. 18650 body. Something has to be wrong with it?
View Quote

Mine definitely does not do that. I would guess Modlite will fix it for you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Mine definitely does not do that. I would guess Modlite will fix it for you.
View Quote

Yeah I’ll try and call them and email them.

When I wave the light like a light saber it will turn on briefly. Definitely something wrong with it
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah I'll try and call them and email them.

When I wave the light like a light saber it will turn on briefly. Definitely something wrong with it
View Quote
Is it the momentary cap? If so, and you unscrew it like half a turn, can you still turn it on but it stops activating when shaken?
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is it the momentary cap? If so, and you unscrew it like half a turn, can you still turn it on but it stops activating when shaken?
View Quote

It’s my first modlite but I don’t think it’s a momentary cap. It has a button that can click on or off. I tried the half turn on it like my old Surefires, it still activates when shaken
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#8]
modlite caps are very sensitive in my experience. I have two and they are far easier to activate than
my surefire caps. modlite will swap it out if it is an issue
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Modlite messaged me and said it may be a tailcap issue. They asked if i had any Surefire tailcaps I could try out and put on the modlite but I don’t at the moment. They’re going to send a new tailcap and see if that’s the issue
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never used a modlite tailcap, I have ordered either heads or bodies+heads sans tailcap since I run Surefire DS07 tailcaps.  

Here's to hoping it is a tailcap issue.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I decided I needed a couple of rifle lights and was researching the Streamlight and SureFire options.  I did order a Streamlight ProTac1 rail mount and Arisaka inline mount for my home defense rifle.  I was also considering a M300 or the M600DF for about $320 with switch, but my research lead me to Modlite.  

I ordered the PLHv2 18350 with the DS07 switch from Big Tex Outdoors today, the coupon code mentioned in this thread still works.  I was torn between the standard PLH and the V2, but I figured there is a reason they made a version 2.  I’ll be running it on my 10.5 5.56 SBR with a BCM 10” keymod rail and Arisaka inline mount.  I’m lefty and like the light at 10:30 and the switch under my thumb at 1:30.  I’ll probably order the Cloud Defensive keymod switch holder rather than trying to bastardize the cheap Magpul Mlok switch mount onto keymod.  I’m not OAF, so I’ll be using this for fun stuff.

My other weapon lights are TLR-1s on pistols and the Streamlight ProTac Rail 1 for my 8” 300 blackout.  The ProTac seems great for the money, but I can see why people shit on the Streamlight switch.  If I don’t push the switch down firmly enough the light flickers.  I thought about returning the ProTac to Amazon and buying another Modlite with the PLHv1 for this rifle, but it’s an extra $320 with the DS07 switch and CD switch mount.  The Arisaka switch adapter and UE07 would cost $120, plus another $70 for another CD switch mount.  I’m thinking the 350 lumens in the ProTac 1 is suitable for in the house so I’ll save the money.  I may end up with an HL-X at some point as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I have 2 OKWs, a PLH 5k, and a PLHV2. I would never pick the PLH over the PLHV2. The PLHV2 has plenty of spill and way more throw than the original PLH.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#13]
The modlite tailcap uses the mcclicky switch which you can swap out easily. They are like 6 bucks a piece and arguably a better switch than the surefire, but they are more sensative. They just screw into the tailcap with needle nose pliers or something.

Seems like every surefire switch ive had flickers while using the switch. The mcclicky is a standard in many nice flashilghts for a reason, and they can handle like 5ish amps of power draw.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got my PLH V2 today.  Definitely not the laser beam that my OKW is. But it crushes my M600DF and streamlight HX-L. I will mess around with it tonight

For a single cell light on an 10.5 I’m not sure it can be beat.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I took this light outside last night.  I don’t think it’s a stretch at all to get bright target ID at 150-200yards. At 80yds through a 4X optic the target was extremely bright.  At this distance I would say it is approximately 3x brighter than the M600DF.  It also was able to punch through the streetlight in front of my house and illuminate inside a vehicle.  For the purpose of a all-around rifle light I would say this is a winner.  That said; even though this is probably the best balanced light I have used but it’s hard to resist the lightsaber like OKW.  I have a long cell OKW and the PLH V2... I will be picking up another Modlite in the coming months and I’m torn which head I will go with.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#16]
So, Modbutton tomorrow.

I wonder if their lights will be any brighter with it or if that was just hype.

I was sort of interested (since it takes up less space than my current LCS w/surefire switch setups) at first but now I see it is also an integrated mount, which I don't like.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So, Modbutton tomorrow.

I wonder if their lights will be any brighter with it or if that was just hype.

I was sort of interested (since it takes up less space than my current LCS w/surefire switch setups) at first but now I see it is also an integrated mount, which I don't like.
View Quote

It’s the unity tactical mod button or whatever they call it any different? Integrated mount and all
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It’s my first modlite but I don’t think it’s a momentary cap. It has a button that can click on or off. I tried the half turn on it like my old Surefires, it still activates when shaken

I just switched the tailcap/button to a Surefire tailcap and The light does not turn on briefly when I shake it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 5:36:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Promo code tacsound saved $46.50 off my order :) https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/product/modlite-plhv2-18650-weapon-mounted-light-package-54000-candela/

(@tacticallysound posted this discount code on his IG)
View Quote

Would be great if there was a discount code on the modbutton tomorrow  @nitrousx
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I absolutely hate you guys.

I wish I never would have found out about these.  Ive been very happy with my SF M600DF's but did notice that they really don't have the throw I was hoping they would.  The PLH didnt seem like enough of a difference to jump, and the OKW seemed like way too much of a difference for what I need....and then this thing comes out and it really appears to be the perfect overall use weaponlight.

I've already ordered an 18650 PLHV2, and just ordered an 18350 PLHV2 with the new ModButton for my SR15 MOD 2 pistol build since the light and switch placement with it directly mounted will basically be perfect.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:14:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I absolutely hate you guys.

I wish I never would have found out about these.  Ive been very happy with my SF M600DF's but did notice that they really don't have the throw I was hoping they would.  The PLH didnt seem like enough of a difference to jump, and the OKW seemed like way too much of a difference for what I need....and then this thing comes out and it really appears to be the perfect overall use weaponlight.

I've already ordered an 18650 PLHV2, and just ordered an 18350 PLHV2 with the new ModButton for my SR15 MOD 2 pistol build since the light and switch placement with it directly mounted will basically be perfect.
View Quote

Same boat here.  I was happy with my 600DFs too, but ignorance is bliss.

Finally took the modlite plunge because of the threads here and got an OKW and PLH only for a "best of both worlds" head to show up.  Love the PLH v2.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Would be great if there was a discount code on the modbutton tomorrow  @nitrousx
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Promo code tacsound saved $46.50 off my order :) https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/product/modlite-plhv2-18650-weapon-mounted-light-package-54000-candela/

(@tacticallysound posted this discount code on his IG)

That code worked when I ordered my Modbutton this morning.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 3:57:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Missed the damn modbuttons
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 1:27:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Missed the damn modbuttons
View Quote

I was stressed about missing them.....I got up at 5:30am to get my order in.  Got a tracking number about 4 hours later.....super stoked to get my fingers on them.  I got to play with one at SHOT back in January.  Awesome quality and super thick wiring.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I have the taps sync running my dbal and modlite IR at the 12 o'clock. I want to run this thing at 9 o'clock with the light wing for my plhv2. I wonder how that will work out.

Yes, I am running dual modlites as the modlight IR is bright enough for my distance of shooting and punches through ambient light.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I was stressed about missing them.....I got up at 5:30am to get my order in.  Got a tracking number about 4 hours later.....super stoked to get my fingers on them.  I got to play with one at SHOT back in January.  Awesome quality and super thick wiring.
View Quote

Got mine being delivered today.  

Their shipping was amazingly fast.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Got mine being delivered today.  

Their shipping was amazingly fast.
View Quote

Have you used surefire switches in a Cloud LCS before?

Interested in how they compare.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Have you used surefire switches in a Cloud LCS before?

Interested in how they compare.
View Quote

I have not.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Got my setup today. I’ll have some pictures tomorrow.

Very slick setup, but it really hugs the rail.  If you plan on running it with a front BUIS next to the light, it’s not going to work.

I had to place my front sight behind the mod button, which frankly isn’t a big deal...but a spacer or something to add some clearance would be a nice thing to toss in the package.  

The other downside is that to get the button where I wanted it, I had to ultimately end up with the front of the light directly between the rows of ports on my warcomp.  If it fouls up the light excessively, I’ll have to move it farther forward, which would put the button in a less than ideal location.  

Any father back and it shadows the living shit out of the barrel.

In other words, not 100% sold on this as of yet.   May be going back to an SR07 and a traditional KAC scout mount.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Sorry the pictures suck, but I wanted to get something up ASAP.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 2:44:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Got my setup today. I’ll have some pictures tomorrow.

Very slick setup, but it really hugs the rail.  If you plan on running it with a front BUIS next to the light, it’s not going to work.

I had to place my front sight behind the mod button, which frankly isn’t a big deal...but a spacer or something to add some clearance would be a nice thing to toss in the package.  

The other downside is that to get the button where I wanted it, I had to ultimately end up with the front of the light directly between the rows of ports on my warcomp.  If it fouls up the light excessively, I’ll have to move it farther forward, which would put the button in a less than ideal location.  

Any father back and it shadows the living shit out of the barrel.

In other words, not 100% sold on this as of yet.   May be going back to an SR07 and a traditional KAC scout mount.

View Quote

In my opinion you are going to want to run a "LIGHT WING" on there from Unity Tactical.  It'll fix most, if not all of your issues.

Here is how I am running mine.....

In the first pic - the Mod Button is being run as designed - its on a 9mm build with a suppressor down the rail....so no extended mounting is needed.

In the second pic - the Mod Button is being used as a BUTTON ONLY.  The light is mounted to a T-Rex Light Bar to get it out there as far as possible on the suppressor....to reduce the shadow.  

First Pic -
Attachment Attached File

Second Pic -
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

In my opinion you are going to want to run a "LIGHT WING" on there from Unity Tactical.  It'll fix most, if not all of your issues.

In the first pic - the Mod Button is being run as designed - its on a 9mm build with a suppressor down the rail....so no extended mounting is needed.

In the second pic - the Mod Button is being used as a BUTTON ONLY.  The light is mounted to a T-Rex Light Bar to get it out there as far as possible on the suppressor....to reduce the shadow.  

First Pic -
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/194176/IMG_0587_jpg-1343121.JPG

Second Pic -
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/194176/IMG_0586_jpg-1343122.JPG
View Quote

Honestly at that point I’d just ditch it since the old method allowed a larger button anywhere I wanted it...with my BUIS all the way up front.  The appeal of the button was to have a minimalist solution with a button up top.   I really didn’t think I’d have the clearance issues that I’m having- most top rail light mounts take a BUIS into account.

It may be absolutely perfect where it is though to be honest.  I need to run some ammo through it and see if it carbons up too fast.  If not, I’ll leave it as is since the iron sight issue is very minor.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

First Pic -
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/194176/IMG_0587_jpg-1343121.JPG

Second Pic -
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/194176/IMG_0586_jpg-1343122.JPG
View Quote

Thats what I am needing but in pic rail. They are out of stock.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Idk if a modbutton would work for me since I want my light under my mawl
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Idk if a modbutton would work for me since I want my light under my mawl
View Quote

Unity Tactical Hot Button
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#35]
How much longer is the run time if the lights are on constant "on" and never switched "off" on the:
OKW
PLH v2
If using the 18650 vs the 18350?
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#36]
According to the website it is 75 minutes for the 18650 and 35 minutes for the 18350. I have never just turned my lights on and timed them, but that sounds pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Good luck getting one anytime soon.

Just like anything from unity, 2 year wait.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
According to the website it is 75 minutes for the 18650 and 35 minutes for the 18350. I have never just turned my lights on and timed them, but that sounds pretty accurate.
View Quote

That's a Huge! Difference.
75 minutes vs 35 minutes.
Even though the light will never be constantly on now i got to decide if the extra length of the light body / extra rail space it takes up on the DD RIS II MK18 Rail is worth the trade off.

Anybody got a picture with the 18650 light body mounted to a Block ii MK18 rail?
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Sadly I already went back to the SR07/KAC scout mount.  Moved my front sight back where it was and its just overall a better setup.

I may run the mod button on a 16" setup with a LPVO that I don't run iron sights on.  Would be a good fit, but frankly not needed since a standard clicky works just as good.

Probably going to offload it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Even though the light will never be constantly on now i got to decide if the extra length of the light body / extra rail space it takes up on the DD RIS II MK18 Rail is worth the trade off.

Anybody got a picture with the 18650 light body mounted to a Block ii MK18 rail?
View Quote

I have a 18350 on a cqbr. About as close as I got to a mk18.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have a 18350 on a cqbr. About as close as I got to a mk18.
View Quote

@pumbaajk
Could you post a pic of the 18350 on your cqbr?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t really see any reason to not go with the 18650 version. Unless, maybe, weight saving? It depends on how much of the light your ok with sticking out passed the end of the handgaurd. I feel like you should mount the light as far out as possible to eliminate shadow from the barrel. If your going to mount it offset 1 or 11o’clock then go 18650 for the run time. I have an 18650 body mounted on my 11.5 pistol. I have mounted to the last mlok slot I could and with a suppressor I still get a little shadow from that combo.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:09:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I can get a 89 cent 100w lightbulb that puts out 1600 lumens... What’s the beamshape and throw? That’s what really matters.

Edit:
Between a PLH and OKW... nice.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Good luck getting one anytime soon.

Just like anything from unity, 2 year wait.
View Quote

Modlite also sells Unity's hot buttons. Grabbed 2x when they recently came back in stock.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#45]
What's so special about the unity hot button? What does it do other than not being a flat switch?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

@pumbaajk
Could you post a pic of the 18350 on your cqbr?
View Quote

@FastCar
Yes sir I'll post up one tonight when I get home.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#47]
@surtrsfire

It's constant on, unlike the ModButton (if that's important) and doesn't have the mount for the flash light right next to the button, so you can offset the flashlight to somewhere else like, say under a MAWL.

Also supposedly has the improved circuitry that the ModButton claims (it's what Modlite referred me to when I asked about a ModButton with constant-on function).
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don’t really see any reason to not go with the 18650 version. Unless, maybe, weight saving? It depends on how much of the light your ok with sticking out passed the end of the handgaurd. I feel like you should mount the light as far out as possible to eliminate shadow from the barrel. If your going to mount it offset 1 or 11o’clock then go 18650 for the run time. I have an 18650 body mounted on my 11.5 pistol. I have mounted to the last mlok slot I could and with a suppressor I still get a little shadow from that combo.
View Quote

I ordered the PLHv2 in the 18350 for my 8” SBR, I haven’t seen an update from Big Tex since I ordered on 3/24.  There isn’t much rail space and I was trying to save weight.  I’m running a Saker most of the time, but I still don’t want the light getting hammered by muzzle blast if the can is off.  I’m not going to be able to get the light far enough forward to eliminate the shadow from a 7.5” can.  I’m still looking for a mount that will place the light high and tight at 10:30 while clearing the suppressor cover.  The BCM keymod Mount works with the HLX, but I’d like it higher.  The Arisaka inline mount is too tight for the HLX but may work fine with the Modlite.  The new Modbutton with the integrated mount may be just what I want for a mount.  I’ll hold off on ordering anything else until someone here reviews it.

I’ll probably end up ordering an old model PLH with the 18650 too.  I’ll run the PLHv2 head with the 18650 body on the 5.56 and the PHL head on the 18350 body on my 8” .300 blackout that I use in the house.

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top