User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you assessment that it can not use protected cells is simply incorrect.  it does and will. the issue with them is that there is no standard for those batteries so certain brands may or may not fit the light due to length.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
you assessment that it can not use protected cells is simply incorrect.  it does and will. the issue with them is that there is no standard for those batteries so certain brands may or may not fit the light due to length.
CD's own manual states that some protected cells will not fit due to the length. The Surefire, Streamlight and KeepPower ones I have tried do not work in the OWL. It will not close. The batteries that came with the OWL will not feed a Surefire, Streamlight, or a Modlite. The batteries that come with the OWL will feed the Holosun LS420 and LE420.

For all intents and purposes, these batteries are incompatible. CD States that the Protected Button Tops are generally too long - and you need a button top for the Dual Fuel. If there is some high quality mid length battery that can run all 4 manufacturers, I would like to know about it. I have heard mentioned Nitecore as a possibility - but given it hasn't come up in the numerous replies so far? Seems like it would be a slam dunk reply if it were true.

Just because the manual acknowledges a downside, does not make it not a downside. If Cloud Defensive realized Surefire batteries will not fit their light, putting a disclaimer in the manual does not mean that it's not a big deal. It would be preferable if they just designed to light for compatibility between Surefire and Streamlight.

123a batteries are not cheap nor are they readily available in many areas. 18650's are everywhere, run longer and are much more capable for high drain devices. there is a reason the entire light industry in general is going that way.
Not the Military side, and not for a long while off even if it does. Disposables are still king there, and this is why you will see DF style lights sticking around for awhile. It also does not justify not having DF compatibility. It's one thing to say the light ought to run 18650's, and it's another thing entirely to say the light ought to be unable to run 123's. These are separate statements that require different premises to justify them.

Nobody honestly measures the future of the WML industry by looking at Olight or Nitecore, otherwise we would have expected the M600DF to have 12 modes like SOS functionality by now.

that doesn't negate the fact it is VERY good at what it is designed to do.
I have said as much above. And yet, when stated that the light is not good outside of this role or if you are willing to commit to it as your only WML, there are numerous replies of people showing up and downplaying everything and stating outright incorrect information that these current lights performance would not be at all possible with 123's.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Cons:

1. If you have short arms and or a rail that is 12" or more, you're going to have issues reaching it comfortably unless you have long arms.
View Quote
I hate to nit pick, but you don't have to put the light at the extreme end of the rail.  You can set it back to whatever position it most comfortable to reach on a longer rail.  Of course, it will likely cause a bit more shadow, but these newer lights seem to have longer throw that gets the beam pattern out well beyond the shadow from the handguard / barrel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#4]
13 inch rail. Behind Magpul MBUS Pro. Bezel clears the handguard and pressure pad placement is perfect.

Batteries are charging so it will be a bit before I can light it up. Initial thoughts are it isn't nearly as big or heavy as I was expecting.

Link Posted: 10/4/2019 3:18:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I hate to nit pick, but you don't have to put the light at the extreme end of the rail.  You can set it back to whatever position it most comfortable to reach on a longer rail.  Of course, it will likely cause a bit more shadow, but these newer lights seem to have longer throw that gets the beam pattern out well beyond the shadow from the handguard / barrel.
View Quote
Definitely agree with you, the throw on this is amazing. It's more a personal preference more than anything else.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Have gotten to mess with the OWL a little bit.

Some things I noted:

I daily carry a PD35TAC and I think it has a perfect throw for a carry light and great throw period. I was shining my PD35 over my house at some tree tops, probably 70 yards away. I could turn the OWL on and completely cover the PD35's beam. When I turned off the PD35, I could tell zero difference.

The OWL has a much warmer (more yellow) tint to it. All of my other lights have cooler (white) tints. I relate a yellow light to a cheaper - weaker light. Probably thinking more about old incandescent bulbs. I find the yellow allows me to see more details in what I'm looking at.

I was looking at the rear entrance to a building last night. The door was on the corner of the building about 80 yards away. It had a security light above the door and some oak trees just around the corner. The security light is bright and illuminating the leaves on the tree well, but causing a bad shadow and nothing under the tree can be made out. The trunks of the tree can not be seen at all.

With the OWL it cut through the security light. I was able to see all the details of the tree trunks and everything around them.

The only time I've considered weight an issue is if I placed it on a rifle with a lpvo. Between the light and optic/mount, it does make a rifle fairly heavy. When putting it on rifles with micros that already had Streamlights/Surefires on them I thought the weight was negligible. The weight and size or lack there of really surprised me. I think I had it built up in my mind as being much worse than it actually is. Only way you'll know for sure is to get one in your hands.

For myself, I really like it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
you assessment that it can not use protected cells is simply incorrect.  it does and will. the issue with them is that there is no standard for those batteries so certain brands may or may not fit the light due to length. it states this directly in the instruction manual. 123a batteries are not cheap nor are they readily available in many areas. 18650's are everywhere, run longer and are much more capable for high drain devices. there is a reason the entire light industry in general is going that way.

yes the owl has some limitations. It is designed for people not running nv or lasers. which frankly is the majority of people and LE teams using lights. it also doesn't make a good handgun light but i did successfully mount and use it on my p220. that doesn't negate the fact it is VERY good at what it is designed to do.
View Quote
Huh?  Wal-Mart has CR123s.  Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

I've only ever seen 18650s online which is where I've bought all mine.  I prefer to buy online anyway.

If it weren't for the battery situation (I don't want to have to own both protected and unprotected cells) I'd replace all of my M600DFs with the OWL just for the simplicity in mounting (compared to a M600DF with Cloud LCS) alone.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've only ever seen 18650s online which is where I've bought all mine.  I prefer to buy online anyway.
View Quote
I have ordered all my 18650's also, but I have seen them locally quite a bit lately. I'll keep my vaping thoughts to myself, but it seems to have pulled 18650 batteries into the mainstream.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Cloud Defensive is running a sale. "OCTOBER25" for 25% off. Ordered an OWL, under $290 shipped.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cloud Defensive is running a sale. "OCTOBER25" for 25% off. Ordered an OWL, under $290 shipped.
View Quote
Wish they would hurry and get longer rails in stock. Probably will on November 1st.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
So somehow I just stumbled across the OWL and am just now seeing the sale code.

It's almost as if I'm being compelled to purchase.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just do it. For what you get I don't feel it's $399 normal selling price is overpriced. At that price it's a steal.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Got delivered today. Obviously haven't gotten to run it, but just lighting stuff up around the house and down the street, it's very impressive. The warmer color of the light makes it easier to pick up details at distance IMO. What's difficult to make out at 150 yards with my M300C (500lm) and TN12 (1100lm) is a breeze with the OWL. Overall fit and finish meets expectations for the price point and the thing is built like a brick shit house.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
FYI, coupon code has expired.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

FYI, coupon code has expired.
View Quote
Sure enough. Just tried it. I thought it was running through October.
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#17]
My review FWIW:

Link Posted: 10/23/2019 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FWIW? I think we all respect your opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Very much so. The OWL is one of the few things I've bought that you hadn't reviewed yet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you but you should see my comments section!  Many don't!
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thank you but you should see my comments section!  Many don't!
View Quote
Trolls are going to troll.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 6:08:00 AM EDT
[#22]
YouTube and IG commentors will make you want to snort Bath Salts. There's going to be a whole lotts dead MF'ers if a Zombie Apocalypse comes... more gear for us though, they're like mini re-supply points.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quality is excellent. Very tight tolerances. Electronic contacts inside appear extremely high quality, appear to gold plated (?). Illumination photos appear as advertised when illumination field tested by me out to about 300 yards, (while cold, windy and raining). Biggest drawback is not size, but weight while holding OWL by itself, but not significantly noticeable at least initially on 14.5". I will definitely buy another gray one for my SR-25. ETA: Clicky switch works great.

Link Posted: 12/3/2019 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I've spent  the last few days debating the OWL vs. the m600df for my new Grendel pistol, and decided to go with the OWL.  The Youtube videos are very impressive.

I wanted this rifle to be 100% Made in America, and durable, which turned my PSA Black Friday 'budget build' into a not-budget "Gucci" gun for me since I would normally stick a Streamlight on it and call it a day. I am very excited to check out the OWL.

At the price I just paid it was less expensive than any of the Surefire setups I was interested in, and since I went with a Trijicon MRO instead of a scope I don't feel bad about the weight, my optic and light still weigh less than the scope I was originally planning to use.

I'll post some pics in use once I get it.

In case anyone else is on the fence, they are ON SALE from the manufacturer right now for $278.  I got an OWL, a replacement lens, and a spare high-output battery for $300 shipped.  I have no affiliation with them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone had luck with getting an OWL from Cloud Defensive's Black Friday sale? I sent them an email days ago about my order, and they have been radio silent on emails.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Has anyone had luck with getting an OWL from Cloud Defensive's Black Friday sale? I sent them an email days ago about my order, and they have been radio silent on emails.
View Quote
Nothing yet on mine as well. I ordered a LCS at the same time time and that was shipped and I got it already. Guessing they are busy, and/or out of stock on them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nothing yet on mine as well. I ordered a LCS at the same time time and that was shipped and I got it already. Guessing they are busy, and/or out of stock on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
About half an hour after I placed my order for the black Friday sale, I got an email from Cloud Defensive that my OWL was likely 2-4 weeks out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought 2x black OWLs in the early hours of their black friday sale and had them to my door within 2 days time (shipped USPS priority). I went back a few days later, to potentially purchase a FDE OWL and saw that they were OOS, but orderable; however, I decided to just hold off. I imagine those of you that are waiting are waiting because the demand from the sale exceeded their stock. While I agree it would have been nice to know that there would be some sort of a delay, I would not hesitate to recommend Cloud Defensive to anyone. One word of caution, just snug up the nut when tightening the OWL yo the pic rail. The manual says something like 50 in/lbs, which I have no real calibration of, but I did overtighten one on the OWLs on my first go around. I worked with Cloud Defensive to get it fixed, and it was all my fault, but I wanted to give a word of caution to others. All in all I love the flashlight and will get more, hopefully during their next sale.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I just got an email today saying that the black Friday sale was more than expected and they're delayed in shipping orders. Says they expect to have all orders fulfilled by the 20th
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#31]
OK, cool. I'm waiting on a Geissele upper from BF that this OWL is going on, no telling when that one will get in. So no rush.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I finally got an OWL. I like it. that being said I hate the pressure switch situation.
It’s really annoying trying to time the momentary vs constant on. They should have two different buttons like in the Surefire pressure switches.
I often find myself doing a quick burst of light by pressing quickly a few times to mimic almost like a strobe. On the surefire lights it’s awesome, but it’s not possible on the OWL. I know this is personal and I’m just used to doing this for the past 6 years, but I really feel the constant on is too easy to activate. I just want to tap the switch and not leave the light on.
Also it would be nice to have a lock off feature. I tapped that in a vehicle the other night while jumping out and man that thing is bright. And again it stayed on. Ugh.

I do like the light though. I would replace all my lights with it if the pressure pad was different.
Maybe Gen2?
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I predict after the "must have" wears off, most will realize they were nuts for buying and hanging 11 ounces at your front sight. They'll be seen in the EE for sale.
They look to be built like a tank. Great quality. Over-built for the application and use.

/Flame On
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So, 4oz more than a M600df w\ switch?  
View Quote
OWL = 4.4 oz (+/-) heavier.
DF = 6.63 oz. (+/-) including battery and SR07.
Not to include mounting method.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a solution. In place.
My previous research and comments regarding, was posted for others knowledge.
Flame on.
As your were.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I've read through the whole thread and I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

I'm debating on getting one for my BCM Recce 11 and the biggest thing holding me back is whether or not it'll work with my current setup.
I use a KAG and am running Scalarworks sights, the front sight of which covers 4 "lands" (as opposed to slots) of picatinny (see picture).
My thumb rests just behind the sight when I grip the weapon.

I'm wondering if
A: The OWL will mount flush to my front sight
B: It will be far enough forward to accommodate shooting from the opposite side.

My 2nd choice would be an Arisaka 300 at 1 o'clock and a remote pressure switch, and while the lighter weight and smaller package are pluses that setup has some disadvantages I'm not keen on (the Arisaka light cannot use rechargeable RCR123A batteries, for example).

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've read through the whole thread and I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

I'm debating on getting one for my BCM Recce 11 and the biggest thing holding me back is whether or not it'll work with my current setup.
I use a KAG and am running Scalarworks sights, the front sight of which covers 4 "lands" (as opposed to slots) of picatinny (see picture).
My thumb rests just behind the sight when I grip the weapon.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/923/X7DKRB.jpg

I'm wondering if
A: The OWL will mount flush to my front sight
B: It will be far enough forward to accommodate shooting from the opposite side.

My 2nd choice would be an Arisaka 300 at 1 o'clock and a remote pressure switch, and while the lighter weight and smaller package are pluses that setup has some disadvantages I'm not keen on (the Arisaka light cannot use rechargeable RCR123A batteries, for example).

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
View Quote
See Pictures above
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 12:59:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

See Pictures above
View Quote
If I was running a 14.5" like you are I wouldn't have any doubt, but even with those pics it's hard for me to visualize how this would be on an 11.5".

I guess I'm looking to get some feedback from pistol and SBR users, it's a rather large light to be using on a small carbine.  I've got the feeling it's too big, I'm hoping someone can come along to either confirm or rebut that thought.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Just received my tracking number for the OWL I purchased during the Black Friday sale.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
mine is on a 10.5 sbr. front sight is a troy. plenty of room and works for either hand just fine.
View Quote
Cool, thanks for the feedback!
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Anyone running their COR rail in conjunction and have pictures?
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Mine was delivered today (well technically yesterday but I wasn’t able to make it over to the post office).

I have a minor machining imperfection right where the light body meets the tailcap that essentially makes a hole from the outside into the o-ring. It likely wouldn’t ever be an issue as I don’t “operate” but at the same time, I’d rather not risk any water/moisture related damage from occurring because of it. I’ll probably touch base with CS to see what they say.

I’m not usually one to nitpick...but mine also came in a cardboard box versus the hard plastic case pictured on the product site.

Overall it feels rock solid. I have the batteries charging up now to LARP around the house once they are ready.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Mine was delivered today (well technically yesterday but I wasn’t able to make it over to the post office).

I have a minor machining imperfection right where the light body meets the tailcap that essentially makes a hole from the outside into the o-ring. It likely wouldn’t ever be an issue as I don’t “operate” but at the same time, I’d rather not risk any water/moisture related damage from occurring because of it. I’ll probably touch base with CS to see what they say.

I’m not usually one to nitpick...but mine also came in a cardboard box versus the hard plastic case pictured on the product site.

Overall it feels rock solid. I have the batteries charging up now to LARP around the house once they are ready.
View Quote
Can you post a picture of the problem?
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I like to mod mine to fit me. The fixed mount is a no go for me. Grand Thumb reviewed this item and was on the fence as well with it being a fixed mount and how well it worked with other gear on the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 1:27:17 AM EDT
[#49]
It would be nice if in the future they would offer replacement bodies that angled down or kept the body closer in.

And maybe a switch to select constant on vs the tapping vs pressing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 3:45:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Can you post a picture of the problem?
View Quote
Sure thing. I sent them an email...so we'll see what they say. It was hard to get my camera to focus that close up.

Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top