User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 11
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The TA01 ACOG came out 30 years ago, and it still costs $1,000.  Why does everyone fawn all over Trijicon for being a quality, US-made product that uses old technology while at the same time deriding Surefire for doing the same thing?
View Quote

Because if lumens are light transmission/optical clarity Trijicon is Fenix and China glass is Surefire.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:27:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Edited
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:39:33 AM EDT
[#3]
once the taps comes out for streamlight  I see zero reason to go with surefire for rifles.
For pistols there's still way more holster options for surefire lights. I would love to see streamlights version of the XC1 though
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:41:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok, so it turns out streamlight leads for the TAPS switch aren’t anywhere near ready.

When is this light going to be available?  Looks like I’ll have to blow excess money just for a god damn lead. Sigh.
View Quote
I'm in the same boat where are u getting your info from?
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:44:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I need that to spot shine blindingly bright light into the eyes of all the drivers with super bright lights.

I am sure they will love it, since they obviously like bright lights, It'll be awesome!

ETA- maybe 1500 is not THAT bright but it seems a lot more than I want on a weapon light unless maybe outdoors. That reflecting off a wall would make someone so damn blind
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Are these in stock anywhere yet? I need this.

Unless they have 2k lumens.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm in the same boat where are u getting your info from?
View Quote
Email directly from Unity. Not even close to being ready. I ended up buying an Arisaka 600 and couldn’t be more happy. Way better than the streamlight and cheaper than the Surefire but still compatible with the Surefire ue tailcap for the TAPS lead.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Email directly from Unity. Not even close to being ready. I ended up buying an Arisaka 600 and couldn’t be more happy. Way better than the streamlight and cheaper than the Surefire but still compatible with the Surefire ue tailcap for the TAPS lead.
View Quote
Not to get too far off topic but which head did you end up getting on the Arisaka? I've got their 300 series right now but the only thing that's kept me from getting the 600 is the run times. 15-20 mins seems a little, well, ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 5:47:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I need that to spot shine blindingly bright light into the eyes of all the drivers with super bright lights.

I am sure they will love it, since they obviously like bright lights, It'll be awesome!

ETA- maybe 1500 is not THAT bright but it seems a lot more than I want on a weapon light unless maybe outdoors. That reflecting off a wall would make someone so damn blind
View Quote
Target ID at range outdoors is something I WANT terribly. Hope this goes on sale soon.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:31:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not to get too far off topic but which head did you end up getting on the Arisaka? I've got their 300 series right now but the only thing that's kept me from getting the 600 is the run times. 15-20 mins seems a little, well, ridiculous.
View Quote
I got the Arisaka 600.  It’s supposedly 15-20 on cr123’s and 45 on 16650’s but those are off. It runs way longer than that.

Gene underrates lumens and run times on his lights.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:35:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
http://www.recoilweb.com/finally-surefires-new-1500-lumen-scout-light-130651.html

This WML that puts out more than twice the light as the M600 Ultra is named the M600DF. With current technology, 1,000 lumens appears to be on the upper limits of the output of a CR123 battery–and Surefire broke it. Not only will the M600DF put out 1,200 lumens with CR123s, but this Scout can also eat dual fuel. No, not dual fuel with AA and CR123, but the larger and more energy dense rechargeable 18650 and CR123s. And you get 1,500 lumens with a 18650 battery.

The MSRP? The same as the current crop of Surefire Scout lights: $299.
View Quote
http://i.imgur.com/OKMogWM.gif
View Quote
Still waiting Surefire......
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:45:36 AM EDT
[#12]
What I want is a compact light that puts out 250 lumens and will do it all night long on one battery,  not one that will blind eagles at 5 miles, works well as a hand warmer in arctic conditions, and drains the battery so fast you'd see the needle move if it had a power gauge on it.

Reliability in a light means, for me,  that its batteries aren't depleted when I need it most.

1500 lumens is pretty absurd.  Oh, sure, it's nice to have but a run time of under 2 hours (heck, even under 4 hours) doesn't thrill me.

I want a light that is usably but not absurdly bright and will last from sundown to sunrise on the longest night of the year, on one battery.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What I want is a compact light that puts out 250 lumens and will do it all night long on one battery,  not one that will blind eagles at 5 miles, works well as a hand warmer in arctic conditions, and drains the battery so fast you'd see the needle move if it had a power gauge on it.

Reliability in a light means, for me,  that its batteries aren't depleted when I need it most.

1500 lumens is pretty absurd.  Oh, sure, it's nice to have but a run time of under 2 hours (heck, even under 4 hours) doesn't thrill me.

I want a light that is usably but not absurdly bright and will last from sundown to sunrise on the longest night of the year, on one battery.
View Quote
No. Just no.

I can let some posts ride, but not this one.

250 lumens isn't worth a flying fuck. You can't see shit on the other side of a car with 250 lumens, I can tell you this with complete certainty due to personal experience.

What on god's earth are you doing with a WML for MORE than 2 hours? You planning on being in a gunfight that long? Of course you aren't, you just don't understand the role of a WML.

I want ALL OF THE LUMENS I can possibly get for the duration of my gunfight.

What you're asking for is a task light you can read with or look for your keys when you drop them. I can tell you that 600 lumens is not enough. I doubt I'll be happy with 1000 or 1500.

There is no such thing as "absurdly bright" in a WML. Trust me. Ask anyone with real experience.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looking at 18650s, some have USB charging built in. Any of those any good, or is it a gimmick for garbage lights?
View Quote
The battery design is a good one. "built in" charging sounds like a gimmick to me, but if it's from a reputable company, it might be okay.

If recharging is important to you, you should buy two and a alternate them IMO.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Seems like not needing an external charger would be useful if it works. Something like this:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108584/Screenshot_20180118-110044-424355.png
View Quote
Nitecore isn't a bad name. I'd trust it enough to give it a shot.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 2:18:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Corvette headlights for the C6 generation were 8-900 OTF lumens, IIRC. Just as a measuring point. That is NOT the high-beam, which was extremely bright.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 2:24:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Get a Surefire/Arisaka M300 body, a VME head, a sapphire window (I presume durability is king...), and a Malkoff M61NLL. That combo will give you 80 lumens for 10+ hours, and it will be nice, clean, 80 CRI neutral tint light. If you want a few more lumens, the M61NL doubles that to 160, for a duration of 5+ hours.

That said, 10 hours is far from "sundown to sunrise on the longest night of the year", but it's about the best you'll get, all the components are very high quality, and the beam/tint is nice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 2:27:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No. Just no.

250 lumens isn't worth a flying fuck. You can't see shit on the other side of a car with 250 lumens, I can tell you this with complete certainty due to personal experience.

What on god's earth are you doing with a WML for MORE than 2 hours? You planning on being in a gunfight that long? Of course you aren't, you just don't understand the role of a WML.

What you're asking for is a task light you can read with or look for your keys when you drop them. I can tell you that 600 lumens is not enough. I doubt I'll be happy with 1000 or 1500.

There is no such thing as "absurdly bright" in a WML. Trust me. Ask anyone with real experience.
View Quote
Typical daylight is 20,000LUX. IN THE SHADE.
Typical bright daylight (noon, not in the shade) is over 100,000LUX.

The 600 lumen Surefires are around 18,000LUX. That puts them as slightly less capable than illumination under a big oak tree.

I have never heard of anyone complaining of visibility issues at noon, mid-day, unless reflective surfaces are involved, and even then a pocket mirror will own you if it bounces light directly into your eyes.

I'm in your camp. ALL THE LUMENS! (accounting too for form factor, etc. etc.)
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 7:29:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The 600 lumen Surefires are around 18,000LUX. That puts them as slightly less capable than illumination under a big oak tree.

I have never heard of anyone complaining of visibility issues at noon, mid-day, unless reflective surfaces are involved, and even then a pocket mirror will own you if it bounces light directly into your eyes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Just no.

Same same...

I almost feel most people don't see the complete picture of having more output. Most people just look at the fact that, "200lm is enough, cause I can see and identify just fine." Which I understand... At the end of the day, the light is going to a tool to disorient whoever's on the other end. Having an intense LED is important. More power means distance, intensity. also the higher the output will give the light better spill/throw ratio. Having more output matters.

Most lights that output over 1200lm have 1/1.5hr runtimes. That's damned good for the output. that will last a long time considering how limited the light is used. Unless, you're having standoffs. In that case, bring more batts...

For low light stuff like reading, get a handheld/angled flashlight with low output. Weapon lights should have an intense beam, imo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No. Just no.

View Quote
I agree completely.

Of course we would like 2000 lumens with an eight hour run time. And sooner or later that will happen.

But for now, get the most lumens you can and learn how to use it properly.

“Too many lumens” is one of those internet myths that just won’t die no matter how many pros say otherwise.

I can honestly say they first time I got a 600 lumen light I was in awe. Then 1000 I was even more happy. Then I got a big hand held 3500 lumen light. At no time have I thought, ok this is too much.

It’s like crack. Lumens equals crack and I’m a lumenhead lol.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like not needing an external charger would be useful if it works. Something like this:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108584/Screenshot_20180118-110044-424355.png
New 18650 USB from Streamlight
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you're actually willing to look at new information regarding high lumen lights read /listen to these sources. You don't have to agree with them at the end, but you should at least keep an open mind.

If you're set in your ways and just trolling, stop spreading bad info.

Aaron Cowan: Light and Lumens: You Want it All, or You’re Wrong

P&S ModCast 128 - The Allure & Misunderstandings Of Pistol Weaponlights
View Quote
Good article, and I'm in the same boat the author was. Liked to keep light below a certain level to keep from blinding myself from reflections, because I was only considering indoor use. Holy crap, stepped outdoors to confront a predator after my animals and couldn't see it because my light that's VERY bright indoors couldn't cast a usable beam far enough outdoors? That was my come-to-God moment.

I've since revised my position like the author; you can overcome blasting yourself with a reflection with more careful use. And doing so allows you to have enough light when you need it in other scenarios.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you're actually willing to look at new information regarding high lumen lights read /listen to these sources. You don't have to agree with them at the end, but you should at least keep an open mind.

View Quote
The late & great Pat Rogers was firmly in that camp as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
yep, he also liked flood > throw, within reason. He would have LOVED the new M300 except he never would have bought one, lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#29]
any release dates yet?
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:57:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
any release dates yet?
View Quote
No shit, I've got some owls I'd like to set on fire.  I've checked every monday since before Thanksgiving for this thing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 1:31:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aaron Cowan: Light and Lumens: You Want it All, or You're Wrong

EAG Handgun II at night taught me I want all the lumens.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:45:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

EAG Handgun II at night taught me I want all the lumens.
View Quote
Same experience I had at VTAC Nightfighter. Which is the same experience I had during Shivworks AMIS.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Very cool

Lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Very cool

Lifetime warranty.
View Quote
Damnz $300. I wonder what the price will return to, once the 500 pre-orders are gone... Looks good, but it's just so hard to pay over $100 for a light. The design reminds me of the B.E. Meyers MAWL.

From the lumens/candela, it's probably using a XHP35 led. Would like more details about it
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:11:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Ehh, 3 cells.  Needs to go on my sbr, would stick way out, plus I'd  like to get a mawl....
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:31:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ehh, 3 cells.  Needs to go on my sbr, would stick way out, plus I'd  like to get a mawl....
View Quote
That easily a 6-6.5" light. A 18650 light is pushing it on my 11.5in SBR.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Very cool

Lifetime warranty.
View Quote
They did an amazing job making a 3-cell light look like a 2-cell light by using a huge mounting solution.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Will SF be making an FDE version?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Any updates from SHOT on this light?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Very cool

Lifetime warranty.
View Quote
Wow. Will be buying one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
They had one at SHOT, but I dont think they gave out an ETA.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 2:10:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This just appeared on Midway:  Est. In-Stock: 03/28/2018
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Excellent, thanks for pointing that out!
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#44]
B&H has them available for pre-order at the same price and estimates 7-14 business days (probably optimistic on their part).
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
B&H has them available for pre-order at the same price and estimates 7-14 business days (probably optimistic on their part).
View Quote
I’ve found their estimates are about as accurate as OpticsPlanet.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you. Definitely want one of these.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I’ve found their estimates are about as accurate as OpticsPlanet.
View Quote
SO not accurate at all.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 2:01:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Edit, found it.  They have their description a little wrong.

Can't believe no one asked the Surefire rep when this thing is being released.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  I've been saying it for years too.  Every time Surefire comes out with a brighter pistol light, I buy it.  I like it better than the previous.  I've never burned my eyes and I use 'em a lot.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top