Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/14/2017 9:37:02 PM EDT
I currently have a EagleTac T200C2 light w/ Viking Tactics side offset mount, putting the light at the 11 o'clock position. It's super bright, even on the medium setting, and very easy to operate.

I've toyed with different setups, but my current fave is the light right up at the front of the receiver's rail, with the Burris FF3 RDS directly behind it (basically centered over the mag well) on a UTG Super Slim 0.83" riser that allowed for co-witnessing on my previous setup. The only thing I don't like about that is the thickness of the gun with the light off to the side, making it tougher to find a sneaky hiding spot in the bedroom.

My thinking is, either: a) a very low-profile light that could mount in the same spot at the front of the rail, extending out over the barrel and being no more than 1" tall at its highest point, including the mount, or b) having its own rail mount on top of it, like scope mounts often do. I've searched for the latter from time to time, but never found anything because the search terms are pretty much impossible to filter out the unwanted stuff. I got lucky just now and found this in cross-listed items, however:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXK2XHR

The same thing is listed under the Wydan name:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017AMC5YY/

That couldn't be much more perfect for what I have in mind, and at sub-$25 might just be worth a gamble. The quality looks dubious, though. Has anyone seen better quality versions of that basic idea?

As to option 'a', this is the closest I've found so far:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071FZZ9ZD

Again, the quality is iffy. But at 4.7" x 1", with probably 2" of that extending out in front of the mount, it would probably fit pretty well and the side controls mean it could still be operated with the RDS right behind it.

Handgun lights seem like they would have potential, but I haven't found any yet that fit the bill.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#1]
p.s.  Amazon is just one of many places I've searched.  It's pure coincidence that one "hit" led to the second there, whereas I didn't find anything quite right elsewhere, including the big names in tac lights.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Do yourself a favor and don't buy that chinese knockoff crap .  The Streamlight TLR 1 HL can be run at 12 o'clock with the RDS co witnessed behind it.  For the money, Streamlight has the best deals...IMHO.   If your life depends on it, you might look at Surefire.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#3]
The Streamlight TLR 1 HL is one of the first ones I looked at, having the right general appearance in pictures.  At nearly 1.5" tall, however, it's not nearly as compact as what I'm looking for.

With the advancements in LED lighting in recent years, there has to be something [quality] out there with dual side-by-side small lights, or an oval or rectangular single light.  There's no need for classic shaped round flashlights that require extra height.

BTW, no argument on that stuff being Chinese crap, but can it really be considered a knockoff if no one else is building something similar?  I'd call it Chinese innovative crap.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I found a couple more that might warrant further investigation.

Firefield Charge FF73012 - $30-33 various places.
http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/firefield-charger-ar-weapon-light-review

It's hard to believe it's really 1.1" tall, looking at the pics.  That probably includes the height of the base, though, so the light itself would be almost exactly the height of what my RDS is mounted at behind it.  Reviews are luke warm, at best.

LUCID OPTICS C3
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XJ5M3HK
http://www.mylucidgear.com/C3.php

They don't seem to specify height anywhere, but it sounds like it could be low-pro enough to fit in front of the RDS.  Reviews are pretty good, but maybe not quite as glowing as you would hope of something in the $90-100 range.

Something like this but with a pictainny rail on top would be a serious candidate:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/09/25/manta-navigation-light-quick-peak/

It doesn't look like it ever came to market, though...

http://www.manta.us/
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want to go cheap with your light, try this.

https://olightworld.com/led-flashlights/safety-and-self-defense/olight-pl-1-ii-valkyrie
$60

Olight is a pretty well trusted brand in the flashlight world.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard good things in general about Olights, but I think it's still too big.  The technical details tab lists the body diameter as 1.49", and it looks like it would have a fairly evenly round profile, so that's probably also the approximate mounted height.

Reviews are very sparse on the Lucid C3 I mentioned previously, but those I did find all echo my exact thoughts that the single-round "flashlight strapped to a gun" design is very outdated, lazy engineering that really limits packaging options.  At the prices some companies charge for tac lights, there should be a lot more innovation taking place.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:50:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've heard good things in general about Olights, but I think it's still too big.  The technical details tab lists the body diameter as 1.49", and it looks like it would have a fairly evenly round profile, so that's probably also the approximate mounted height.

Reviews are very sparse on the Lucid C3 I mentioned previously, but those I did find all echo my exact thoughts that the single-round "flashlight strapped to a gun" design is very outdated, lazy engineering that really limits packaging options.  At the prices some companies charge for tac lights, there should be a lot more innovation taking place.
View Quote
I think you're fishing thoughts of a design you already have in your head and you're not finding anything in close proximity.
The mention of lazy engineering leads me to think, maybe you need to put some ideas to prototype. Possibly invest in a replicator? Drawing up a design is a simple process, if you have the drive.

In many ways your approach reminds me a lot of myself, having expectations in advancement in areas, that has not happened. I may be over reading into things, with the way I express my thoughts, but I don't think I am.
A big part of the firearm industry (or any industry) relies on a following. To get that following it takes a product (prototype) to T&E
If my assumption of you, having your own ideas, think twice about sharing openly on the internet, or privately without the right protections for your ideas. Because your ideas can be sniped right out from under you.

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:11:06 AM EDT
[#8]
You're not far from the truth.  I've got an engineering background, but no burning desire to design something myself.  I'm just surprised and disappointed to see so little innovation in the lighting market, when the AR-15 platform is booming (hah!) with new ideas.  I'd be happy to collaborate with someone who has the drive and means to do so.

One of the reviews/comments of the C3 said it's basically a bicycle light strapped to the barrel.  The response was, "why not?"  Exactly.  People get so stuck in design ruts.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:22:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You're not far from the truth.  I've got an engineering background, but no burning desire to design something myself.  I'm just surprised and disappointed to see so little innovation in the lighting market, when the AR-15 platform is booming (hah!) with new ideas.  I'd be happy to collaborate with someone who has the drive and means to do so.

One of the reviews/comments of the C3 said it's basically a bicycle light strapped to the barrel.  The response was, "why not?"  Exactly.  People get so stuck in design ruts.
View Quote
I have the knowledge, design abilities, the programs, and model design skillset to make anything. And I have. All it is, is time.
What I don't have or have access to is a CAD to physically create (mill) something.

The Lucid C3 looks cute
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:29:04 AM EDT
[#10]
For design inspiration, look no further than truck light bars.  You could build one helluva compact, durable rail mount light with the LED technology already out there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:33:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
One of the reviews says it’s lower than a TLR-1.

Of course, you could buy that Surefire mini pistol light $$, the Steiner mini pistol laser/light $$$$, or go cheaper with the APL by Enforce $.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:46:06 AM EDT
[#12]
LED technology has been around for quite some time. The difficult part is shrinking it all down to a usable size to be mounted on a rail. Small lights of CR123a size, currently dominate the market not only from LED size and output, but effective burn time.
Lights can be made smaller as seen by the Lucid C3, but they lack in the throw and spot (corona) areas. That area could be refined if someone would focus on making a reflector suitable for the needs.
LEDs have come a long ways. There's always innovation in the arena. Problem is, the weapon light industry can not keep up because of relative costs to do so. So, I think this is why weapon lights have not advanced as we would expect.
What's available on the market now, has been designed, re-designed, and refined if the manufacturer is any type of real player. They have something proven and don't stray from it far.

Way past my pillow time. But. you sparked my interests
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I got an extremely thorough response from Lucid.  They really know their product.  Their C3 is exactly 1" tall, as measured from the top of the rail, so it's a strong candidate for what I've got in mind.

1-9/16" of its length is in front of center, and 1-1/16" rearward of center, meaning it can be mounted at the front of the rail and extend out over the barrel a bit to free up the RDS to be mounted as far forward as possible.  In that configuration, it would have the mild annoyance of needing an allen wrench on hand to remove it (or the RDS) when the batteries require changing.

I failed in compelling them to make a stackable version with a Picatinny rail on top...
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Of course, you could buy that Surefire mini pistol light $, the Steiner mini pistol laser/light $$, or go cheaper with the APL by Enforce $.
View Quote
1)  Do you mean the SureFire XC1?  That's one of the early matches I found, but the reviews on it are awful.  It sounds like a bad deal at $50, let alone nearly 5x that.

2)  I don't see any dimensions on the Steiner SBAL-PL, but it does look like a quality piece.  I looked at a few laser/light combos as a possible alternative to the light/RDS setup.  Most of them, the laser looks like a piggybacked afterthought.  Steiner addressed that.

3)  I assume you mean Inforce APL?  I looked at that, as well.  It's probably 0.1 to 0.2" too big, but it has potential.

One thing that would really bug me about the pistol lights is having the markings upside down when mounted atop the receiver.  Of all the things to plaster with white lettering...
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#15]
The topic is getting too thick for my interest at this point.
Good luck
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Inforce says the APL is 1.05” bezel size. Any addition to that is likely to include the size of the rail clamp.
http://inforce-mil.com/products/pistol-lights/apl/

APLc is even smaller 0.88 inch bezel
http://inforce-mil.com/products/pistol-lights/aplc/
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Inforce says the APL is 1.05” bezel size. Any addition to that is likely to include the size of the rail clamp.
View Quote
They also say the width is 1.16", though, and it looks pretty round in profile.  I'm guessing the listed bezel diameter is inside, not outside.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Lucid C3, but I made a template to see where it'll place the RDS behind it, and it ends up a couple notches further back on the rail than I'd prefer, so I'm still wavering on the fence.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

APLc is even smaller 0.88 inch bezel
http://inforce-mil.com/products/pistol-lights/aplc/
View Quote
I was responding as you added that...

I hadn't seen the "c"ompact version of the APL.  Interesting.  Those dimensions are weird, though.  The bezel is 0.2" smaller but the width is virtually identical?  Hard to tell from the pictures if the profile is indeed shorter in height, with just extra girth.  I'll have to look into that one more.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#19]
While looking at the APL stuff, I ended up on an Amazon review page and then noticed another cross-listing from my previous browsing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I2E7ZEU/

That's the same "stackable" product as the two mentioned in the first post, but this one has hundreds of reviews.  The vast majority of them are positive, and at least half of the negative ones are from people unhappy with the optional pressure switch, which I wouldn't use, anyway.  (The major functional complaint is that the beam is too tight for HD use.)  The number of people reporting outright failures probably aren't a much higher percentage than the big name brand lights.

However, setting aside the quality of the light, I haven't seen anything negative regarding the mount, after reading quite a few reviews.  I'm thinking seriously about ordering it for the mount, with the light itself being a bonus if it turns out half decent, and seeing if I can fit a better light into it since they're separable.  For $22, that seems worth a gamble on a multi-purpose mount/riser.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They also say the width is 1.16", though, and it looks pretty round in profile.  I'm guessing the listed bezel diameter is inside, not outside.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Lucid C3, but I made a template to see where it'll place the RDS behind it, and it ends up a couple notches further back on the rail than I'd prefer, so I'm still wavering on the fence.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The width is that of the plastic housing, which is rectangular in cross section not square.
Attachment Attached File

In this pic it appears it’s oniy smaller at the front (shorter and then kind of shaved down out front). The rear portion is the same. Overall height would (therefore) be the same. Length appears to be shorter.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I see what you mean.  It does appear to have some shoulders on it, extending out beyond the bevel.

I always do my best thinking while asleep, and it dawned on me (no pun intended) that I'm way over-complicating this.  I wanted something scope mount-like from the beginning...why not just use a scope mount?!  I've already got a good light that is 1" in diameter.  No point reinventing the wheel.

There are a bunch of cheap cantilever scope mounts with picatinny top rails for ~$15, but they're all Chinese clones.  They're mostly 30mm w/ 1" sleeves, but some come in 1".  I could cut the front ring off and end up with a moderately heavy, stable platform.  The biggest negative is probably the 2.5" overall height, being a bit overly elevated for RDS calibration.  (I could be wrong, but I assume the higher it is up from the barrel, the more error there is over longer distances.)

Or...I ran across some scope mounts that are two individual rings.  I'm not sure if that would be stable enough to support the weight of the light and RDS, or if I would need to hack one of the mounts down in length to fit the body of the light, but I'm liking the minimalist possibilities.  That style comes in low, medium, and high profile varieties.  Here's the best looking one I've found, appearing to have some actual craftsmanship to it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310884347007
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#22]
There's been no mention of application, aside from rifle. It sounds like you want the mrds on top of the light. At the front of the rail? You're spinning too many gears IMO.
Speaking from experience, wasted time and $$, NIX what you're trying to
accomplish. Cheap junk is cheap junk.
Put a pistol type light on your forend @ 12 o'clock with a front sight behind, and the MRDS on the receiver where it's solid. This is what you mentioned for being streamline.
There are several pistol type lights available out there to choose from. I suggest you scan other threads here in the light forum. The answers are there.

Another option is buy the Streamlight RM1/RM2 or the Surefire M300/M600 and mount at 11 or 1 o'clock. Granted, it comes at a price.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#23]
^ Those options aren't on the table, due to the configuration of the gun.

My requirements are straight forward.  It's finding something that fits the bill which is somewhat complicated.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#24]
OK, got that.
Trying to picture your build has been a generic vision from the beginning.
All I've seen for light availability so far have been beat to death in similar threads.
Reel this topic in and post up some pictures of what you have. We already know what you want as the end result.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I didn't see any similar threads pop up when I searched for possible solutions.

It's a short-barrel pistol build, initially configured with no handguard and now being put together with a 3" smooth CF one, so the receiver is the only place to mount anything.  Getting the light and RDS mounted in conjunction, without the extra thickness I've got now of the light hanging off the side, is the goal.  That means either a stackable mount or a light that is low enough profile to not require the RDS to be higher than ideal to see over it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I can picture it. Round or triangular HG?
Piece of cake to resolve.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Why not use a ring and hang it off the left side?
VTAC
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Get a piece of short low profile rail and mount it on top. Like this. https://troyind.com/products/grip-mount-low-profile-2-blk
Mount pistol light
Now you're in business
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

VTAC
View All Quotes
Quoted:

VTAC
That's the exact mount I have currently.  It works fine, but it makes for a very thick gun for tucking away in the bedroom.

Quoted:
Get a piece of short low profile rail and mount it on top.
Mount pistol light
Now you're in business
How does that help me?  I'd still have the problem of most lights being too high.  Moving it up closer to the muzzle would probably make it even worse, as the RDS on a riser needs to have a slight downward view.  The only way I see that helping is with something like the Lucid C3, eliminating the issue of it pushing the RDS slightly further back than I want.

Now, if I took that idea and put a short rail on the bottom, that could work.  I've never tried drilling holes in carbon fiber, though.  I know it can be rather shatter-prone.  If I were to dremel out the backside of a rail, comforming it to the curve of the handguard, maybe that would be stable enough to zip tie it around the CF.  (Or do the same but without a rail, mounting the light purely by tension against a contoured pad.)  It's not a big deal if the light wiggles a bit, as long as it stays put.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#31]
The link to the low profile rail is designed to fit the radius of a 1-1/2 round HG.
Have fun
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The link to the low profile rail is designed to fit the radius of a 1-1/2 round HG.
Have fun
View Quote
Which link?  Edit:  Oops, you must have added it in.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#33]
One last suggestion...

Put your RDS on a riser. Or if your RDS has the same footprint as an Amipoint Micro, buy a Geissele 1.93” Mount. It was specifically designed to clear a DBAL/PEQ (laser).

Or, over in the EE
Not my ad
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I can't find any info on that Troy Grip Mount.  Troy's page says absolutely nothing of note, and this is the most informative page I found but it's just spewing buzz words:

https://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/Troy-Industries-Grip-Mount-2--BLK-STRX-2GM-00BT-00_p_125105.html

While looking for that, I found a very compelling reason to not drill the handguard for an add-on rail:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?120930-Best-way-to-mount-bipod-to-smooth-free-float-handguard-bull-barrel/page3

What is the attachment method for that tube handguard? It looks very similar to the DPMS style handguards. They had a tendency to come undone (I actually bought a DPMS LR308 when they first came out (only 308 AR at the time available)) and had the barrel nut spin on me. Long story short, the whole attachment method WAS the barrel nut, with no anti-rotation, other than the gas tube. It was an ugly situation and bad design. Loose barrel, loose handguard. Gun had to go back to DPMS, who had to install a new handgaurd since once they properly torqed the barrel nut down, the factory drilled bipod hole was a good 180 degrees from where it started.
View All Quotes
What is the attachment method for that tube handguard? It looks very similar to the DPMS style handguards. They had a tendency to come undone (I actually bought a DPMS LR308 when they first came out (only 308 AR at the time available)) and had the barrel nut spin on me. Long story short, the whole attachment method WAS the barrel nut, with no anti-rotation, other than the gas tube. It was an ugly situation and bad design. Loose barrel, loose handguard. Gun had to go back to DPMS, who had to install a new handgaurd since once they properly torqed the barrel nut down, the factory drilled bipod hole was a good 180 degrees from where it started.
Quoted:
One last suggestion...

Put your RDS on a riser. Or if your RDS has the same footprint as an Amipoint Micro, buy a Geissele 1.93” Mount. It was specifically designed to clear a DBAL/PEQ (laser).
It's on a riser already.  I could go higher, but that seems counter-productive.  I'd rather compromise the lighting than the sighting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#36]
That's funny, I was just looking at that model (and their PL-1 and PL-2) last night!  It's a pretty strong candidate.  I'm just not sure I can live with a pistol light having the writing upside down.  I'm not super OCD, but that would push me to the edge...  I'd probably have to paint it or wrap electrical tape around it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I think it’s aluminum. You probably could rattle can it easily.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:55:58 AM EDT
[#38]
BTW, the other super compact pistol light I found when looking at the Olight is the HiLight P3.  Aimkon doesn't list it on their site as far as I could tell, so I suspect it was quickly discontinued, as everyone complained about the funky power switch and poor tightening knob.  They're being sold cheap on ebay.  Hopefully, that means they're coming out with a new version of it, as the form factor would be good.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I currently have a EagleTac T200C2 light w/ Viking Tactics side offset mount, putting the light at the 11 o'clock position. It's super bright, even on the medium setting, and very easy to operate.

I've toyed with different setups, but my current fave is the light right up at the front of the receiver's rail, with the Burris FF3 RDS directly behind it (basically centered over the mag well) on a UTG Super Slim 0.83" riser that allowed for co-witnessing on my previous setup. The only thing I don't like about that is the thickness of the gun with the light off to the side, making it tougher to find a sneaky hiding spot in the bedroom.

My thinking is, either: a) a very low-profile light that could mount in the same spot at the front of the rail, extending out over the barrel and being no more than 1" tall at its highest point, including the mount, or b) having its own rail mount on top of it, like scope mounts often do. I've searched for the latter from time to time, but never found anything because the search terms are pretty much impossible to filter out the unwanted stuff. I got lucky just now and found this in cross-listed items, however:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXK2XHR

The same thing is listed under the Wydan name:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017AMC5YY/

That couldn't be much more perfect for what I have in mind, and at sub-$25 might just be worth a gamble. The quality looks dubious, though. Has anyone seen better quality versions of that basic idea?

As to option 'a', this is the closest I've found so far:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071FZZ9ZD

Again, the quality is iffy. But at 4.7" x 1", with probably 2" of that extending out in front of the mount, it would probably fit pretty well and the side controls mean it could still be operated with the RDS right behind it.

Handgun lights seem like they would have potential, but I haven't found any yet that fit the bill.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!
View Quote

Im in a similar boat as you. The way I see it is...if the item in question is "gear I need" then spend the extra for a quality item I need... if the item is "gear I don't need" then Im not going to waste my money on adding useless weight to my rifle.
I want to add a light but not at the top of the line surefire price. In my searches Streamlight , insight or Olight all seem to have good reviews from users.
I would steer clear those "Sub $25 amazon/ebay gambles" because they probably wont last and will add up to a $75-$100 sure thing in short order
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:18:54 AM EDT
[#40]
True, a couple throwaways can add up to one modest investment.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#41]
I looked at this kind og stuff for 10 years . what you  want is a KAC style 1913 rail then use 45degree & 90 degree rail mounts . this will keep the rifle narrow & compact enough  to still fit out a truck door.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I looked at this kind og stuff for 10 years . what you  want is a KAC style 1913 rail then use 45degree & 90 degree rail mounts . this will keep the rifle narrow & compact enough  to still fit out a truck door.
View Quote
So, the 45 degree mount goes on the receiver, sticking out half as far as the VTAC mount I have now, and the 90 degree mount goes on it?  I'm having a hard time picturing how that doesn't just put it back in line with the rail...  Do you have any pictures to illustrate?

How does a KAC style 1913 rail differ from a regular rail?  A quick search didn't turn up anything specific to those terms.  I'm guessing you mean something along these lines (I think of the receiver's mounting as a rail; gotta remind myself that most people use handguard and rail interchangeably)?

http://www.knightarmco.com/military/?term=rails-military

If so, that won't work for me, as I've gone a direction that won't have any handguard mounting capability.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#43]
here you go.

the remote tail switches offered by stream light will work with Dbal plugs.  there is also one with an off option.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

this is a surefire x300 on a 45 degree mount, and a stream light tlr-2 eye safe all IR = ir led illumination & IR class 1laser on a 90 degree mount

the setup is very narrow &clean using  the surefire dual switch to turn on either light. both lights have a off switch to prevent ADs
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:22:40 AM EDT
[#44]
That helps visualize it, thanks.  I don't think it's much narrower than what I'm already working with, though.  I want to stick to the width of the receiver, and that still basically doubles it.  The goal here is literally ease of hiding it in the bedroom, nothing more.  I've got a few places I can tuck it away while still being quickly accessible, but the extra thickness is problematic.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#45]
So...I secretly ordered one of the amazon/ebay light/mount/riser kits from the first links in the first post.  I hoped to have a good review of the mount, having researched other high quality tac lights & keychain lights that would fit it.  Unfortunately, the kit is complete garbage.  The light turns on in normal mode then switches to strobe after a couple seconds, with no apparent way to control it.  The mount is cockeyed on the rail and off-center.  It's definitely going back.

With that needed experiment out of the way, I think I'll cross the mount/riser idea off the list and focus on creatively packaged options like the Olight PL-MINI Valkyrie & Lucid C3.

I did run across this which made me chuckle:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/371840754445

"High quingity tactical flashlight, lightest and smallest design for equipments lights"

Well, at least you can't accuse them of false advertising...
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That helps visualize it, thanks.  I don't think it's much narrower than what I'm already working with, though.  I want to stick to the width of the receiver, and that still basically doubles it.  The goal here is literally ease of hiding it in the bedroom, nothing more.  I've got a few places I can tuck it away while still being quickly accessible, but the extra thickness is problematic.
View Quote
tlr-1 hl on the bottom rail.  is about as inline as you can get unless you get a rifle with no FSB
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 2:39:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Actually, my amazon/ebay walk of shame might have been premature.  I boxed the mount/light up and was awaiting a reply from the seller, then was curious to compare something to another product I was looking at...  Turns out, the mount's backing plate was upside down and isn't vertically symmetric, so it wasn't pulling into the slot and fully clamping the rail.  That's why it was off-center!  With that sorted out, and aside from the goofy strobe light, it actually has some potential.

Here it is on the rifle, which isn't where it would be residing once the pistol is complete:

Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#48]
I wouldn’t be comfortable leaning on a below airsoft quality product (both in the quality and construction of the mount and the flashlight) on something with which I intend to defend my family.

That “quality” of flashlight could easily fail and lead to you accidentally shooting a family member when you couldn’t identify them due to lack of illumination.

That “quality” of optic mount could easily fail and lead to missing your target and thus not incapacitating them, leading to death or bodily harm of your family. Or the sight could be off enough that you miss your target and hit a family member or innocent.

JMHO.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That “quality” of flashlight could easily fail and lead to you accidentally shooting a family member when you couldn’t identify them due to lack of illumination.
View Quote
1) Remember, the mount is the main part I was interested in.  (It feels as solid as the UTG mount now that I found the issue.)  I've looked into higher quality lighting options that will fit it.

2) I live alone.  ;)

I fully intend to test it to make sure the optic holds zero with that mount.  I dropped over a quarter pound with the 2-in-1 mount and smaller light, so it's a good start for aesthetics, slimline storage, and weight reduction.  Performance is still TBD.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
1) Remember, the mount is the main part I was interested in.  (It feels as solid as the UTG mount now that I found the issue.)  I've looked into higher quality lighting options that will fit it.

2) I live alone.  ;)

I fully intend to test it to make sure the optic holds zero with that mount.  I dropped over a quarter pound with the 2-in-1 mount and smaller light, so it's a good start for aesthetics, slimline storage, and weight reduction.  Performance is still TBD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2) I live alone.  ;)

Fair enough.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top