Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2017 7:58:35 PM EDT
I recently came across a popular flashlight forum.
  Got me thinking... can u build a edc light that will be reliable/ tough/ etc for less than u can buy one factory new?
   Could I mod my old surefire g2x to be a "better" light?
  I know I should check on the light forum but I'd like to hear from you guys too.

Thanks for your time!
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I equate it reloading. I may not save much, but I can choose emitter, drive current, modes, tint, etc. and have exactly what I want in a light.

For reference, I have built and modified many lights for myself and others. I've done white, red, and green for hunting, as well as handheld and boat mounted flounder gigging lights.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I do like to lego my surefires and prefer the 6P body style to other lights. I usually have the body bored to accept an 18650 battery, use a clicky tailcap, and then find a head that suits my needs. Typically I have one set up for throw and one set up for flood.

For flood I like the EDC Plus triple drop in. It has a high and low and provides a ton of flood with no hot spot. Basically a wall of light.

To keep the higher powered LED's cooler I use a Cryos finned cooling bezel/head.

There are a ton of options and the sky is the limit. For other options look at Oveready .

Another cheaper alternative and the bodies already come bored is Solarforce flashlight. I have a couple and while they are nice and come ready for the 18650 rechargeable battery and click tailcap, they seem thinner than the surefires but better than others. So far no issus compared to most Chinese lights.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I recently came across a popular flashlight forum.
  Got me thinking... can u build a edc light that will be reliable/ tough/ etc for less than u can buy one factory new?
   Could I mod my old surefire g2x to be a "better" light?
  I know I should check on the light forum but I'd like to hear from you guys too.

Thanks for your time!
View Quote

You're not going to be able to Lego/ make a lfladhlight that is cheaper or better than a $50 Surefire G2X with a clicky tail cap.  It's 320 lumens, has a tough body, has a clicky tail cap, costs $45-$50 and it has a warranty.  Most good 300 lumen drop ins will cost you $25-$50.  If you have an old Surefire aluminum 6P body, you can buy a Malkoff drop in and be at maybe $40 total but you will still need to source a click your tail cap.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We've already done the work for you.  We build The Toughest Flashlights on the Planet and let you choose from our wide array of modular components.

Start here: www.ELZETTA.com/Flashlights

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/175974/65779.JPG
View Quote
I know!!!! Just can't afford one of yours right now :(  that's how I came across building one. But after looking into it more and reading other replies. Looks like I'll just have to hold out for one of yours!
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top