Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2017 10:57:53 AM EDT
I've always used pistols as my HD but I finally got my stamp back for my 11.5" 5.56 this week.

I'd like to use my SBR for HD now and have never used a light on an AR before.

Suggestions on light/mount/placement on the rail?

I have a Streamlight TLR-1s on my P320 and have nothing but good experience with it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've always used pistols as my HD but I finally got my stamp back for my 11.5" 5.56 this week.

I have a Streamlight TLR-1s on my P320 and have nothing but good experience with it.
View Quote

I don't really have much experience with lights. But if I was looking for a nice lightweight small light for a sbr that will be used for HD I'd seriously consider a inforce gen2 wml. Other than that a Surefire scout 300 would be my other choice, especially if you like tape switches.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the Inforce WML / WMLX mounted at 10:00-11:00 for the support thumb.
Just about the lightest, lowest profile setup you can get.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173511/wml-329903.JPG
View Quote
Very nice!
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173511/wml-329903.JPG
View Quote
What mount do you use?

Is the WMLX too bright for inside a dark household?

If my 300 lumen Streamlight TLR-1s seems bright at night, I can't imagine a 800 lumen light (my concern being that the light would bounce off the painted walls and blind me as well as the intruder).
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What mount do you use?

Is the WMLX too bright for inside a dark household?

If my 300 lumen Streamlight TLR-1s seems bright at night, I can't imagine a 800 lumen light (my concern being that the light would bounce off the painted walls and blind me as well as the intruder).
View Quote
For inside, the standard WML is plenty.  The WMLX would be better suited to open woods or field.

I just used a MLOK extended rail section on my MOE-SL handguard.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
What handguard/rail system are you planning to use, and are you planning on retaining the front sight?

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Surefire scout
Surefire scout mini
Streamlight Protac 1k lumens  
Inforce WML

In that order.

The Streamlight is the best deal and it comes with tape switches/push button .
It's a little bigger than the Scout models.

My scouts
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Streamlight TRL 1 I didn't like it because I would accidentally discharge the light. The paddles activated easy.
Attachment Attached File

Streamlights are awesome if you are on a budget.
Surefire are awesome and reliable but you will pay for it.
Inforce has a cool design and there reliability has gotten a lot better.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure what your budget is but my favorite light for shorter rifles is a Surefire M300 Mini Scout. You can buy these in different configurations and you also might be able to find a good deal on one in the Equipment Exchange.

The output is 300 lumens, which I find to be perfect for HD. To me, it provides the perfect balance.

If you're mounting to a picatinny rail, you may not need to buy a seperate mount at all because the light comes with a picatinny mount. However, it can be somewhat limited in regard to configuration. If you have an M-Lok or Keymod rail, I'd recommend Arisaka mounts. The Arisaka mounts are available in an inline or offset configuration. If you go to their website, there are plenty of pictures and good descriptions to explain this better.

Take a look at the remote switches that Surefire offers as well. These remote switches can make light manipulation much easier than the traditional clicky tailcap and allow you to easily temporarily illuminate the light or illuminate the light with a "constant-on" button.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What handguard/rail system are you planning to use, and are you planning on retaining the front sight?

~Augee
View Quote
SLR ION Lite rail (MLOK)

Don’t currently have a front sight on it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Surefire M951 is the light you seek.
Thank me later.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:48:54 AM EDT
[#11]
For HD I prefer a large spill ie little to no hot spot vs throw and a hot spot. For the money look at a Malkoff P61 325 lumens 39.00, buy a new or used 6P SureFire 30.00-45.00, and a XM07 (dual switch w/7"cable) 40.00 For around 125.00 you'll have a bomb proof weapons light that will serve you well indoor and outdoor. To save a little you can run it without the XM07 and add it latter if you want an optional tape/dual switch since It's nice to be able to run the light with either hand. As far as placement you want to be able to activate it but not be in the way of your normal firing grip.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I built (currently in pistol config) a HD rifle and put a M300 on it, simply due to room. Plenty bright, and they make a cover that can spread out (diffuse) the light a little more if you want spread. Surefire has the name and quality behind it, if you are willing to pay for it. You can find them on sales every so often as well, or like stated, used for fairly cheap.

Since it is a 11." rifle, I recommend the M300 vs the M600 simply for room.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for the in force wml.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mount wise, I'll suggest either Arson Machine or Arisaka mounts.

Don't assume you will blind yourself from wall paint and mirrors with anything over 400lm. Regardless of output, you have to learn how to place the light while scanning. I'm sure you know your house well enough not mess that up.

There's many different options on lights. Safe bets are the SF, Malkoff, Streamlights and Inforce. Lights have come a long way and many companies have other great options with higher lumens/candela ratings. I've use SF, SL, Armytek, Nitecore and Klarus ligths, all with positive results, no issues with any of them. The Armytek light is the best built light I've handled. Currently, I run a Armytek Dobermann Pro (1700lm) on my 11.5 SBR. A Klarus XT11GT (2000lm) on my Benelli M4.

I have always ran my lights next to my muzzle device. no issue other than powder residue on the lens.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Surefire M300 Mini Scout Light!
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#16]
BIG fan of the Inforce Gen2 WML. I use it on a MP cantilever on my MOE hanguards. Puts the light exactly where I want it. The light is sleek, rugged, a perfect (for my use) 400 lumens, and you don't have to worry about clamps/mounts coming loose.
However... the caveat to using the Inforce WML is it only works when placed where you hands can reach it well (no tape switches for that light).
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top