Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2017 9:04:37 PM EDT
How effective is mounting a streamlight tlr-1 onto a rifle? I know it's a pistol light but can it handle the recoil of an ar-15? How reliable are they in general?

I'm trying to put a good weapon light on my ar-15, I have seen the tlr-1 used on rifles before I just don't know how good they are. My ar would be used in a HD role. I am talking about the 300 lumen model btw.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It will hold. I have one on mine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one on each of my rifles.  They are quite reliable in my experience.  Biggest problem is the switch.  It's real easy to accidentally turn the light on.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a TLR-1HL on mine for years and it's great.  Handles full auto and day to day just fine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a fan of the HL versions - they have all held fine on my rifles through several carbine classes including night shoots.  They have been beat around pretty hard and have functioned fine.  Spread/throw is good enough for me to make solid hits at distance and ID targets

Only issue I had was an instructor who hated Streamlight and was on my ass about how I am going to DIE because I have a Streamlight on my gun...
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had one at 12 o clock for years.  Know scores of others that do as well. No issue
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one on each of my rifles.  They are quite reliable in my experience.  Biggest problem is the switch.  It's real easy to accidentally turn the light on.
View Quote
They do sell tape switches and tail cap replacements, I use one on my benelli M4.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They do sell tape switches and tail cap replacements, I use one on my benelli M4.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, this is true.  I should invest.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I also have them on my Remy 870 and 1100. Works fine. My Surefire flew off with the first shot but the "B" model stays on fine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#9]
They work, but I consider them more of a handgun light
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I just ordered my tlr-1 now, I'm gonna give it a shot it seems like all of you think that's it's gonna work. My AR has been needing a light on it for awhile now anyways.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Move the front sight post back if you have one and put it up top... switch or no switch.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Move the front sight post back if you have one and put it up top... switch or no switch.
View Quote
I'll be sure to do that, and I'm gonna try it with out the switch and see if I think I need it or not.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#13]
a tlr-1 is perfect on a carbine a tlr-1HL .is a brighter version easily abel to illuminate out to 100 meters.

a TLR-2 HL G is pure sex on a carbine  all mount easily and work great.

ITT /Stiener tape switches work in tlr remote caps

I currently have mounted on various rifels

TLR-1HL
TLR-2HLG
TLR-2 eyesafe -all IR version.

I like them
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'll be sure to do that, and I'm gonna try it with out the switch and see if I think I need it or not.
View Quote
the tlr-1 is low enough to not be in the way of cowitness sites.  The tlr-2 is too tall to do the same.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

the tlr-1 is low enough to not be in the way of cowitness sites.  The tlr-2 is too tall to do the same.
View Quote
Good to know thanks!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Until last week I had been using my older tlr1 as a duel purpose weapons light. I would use it on my ar15s, shotguns and handguns.

I have never had a problem with it, and it is probably 7 or 8 years old. I had it on my 590a1 and it held up to the recoil.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#17]
The TLR-1 is great on pistols, but is an ergonomic disaster on a rifle. The switch doesn't move in a natural way for most hand positions, plus it cant snug up close to the handguard. I found it miserable so switched to a scout-type light with push button switch on the rear. Way way better IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Works great on pistol, works great on long guns too.

Distance is limited, but effective inside house and the front & back yards easily...

I have used it on my Home Defense Rem 870 Police Magnum, Several AR-15s and a AK-47 for good measure.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:16:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a fan

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I decided that I don't want to move my front sight (I don't want to re zero my irons), I will mount the light around the 9-10 o'clock position. My rail on my rifle (MI gen 3 MLOK) came with a Magpul polymer rail section would this be strong enough? Or should I buy an aluminum rail section?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#21]
My TLR-1 choice for rifles is their Long Gun Kit: Streamlight TLR-1 Long Gun Kit

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:10:44 AM EDT
[#22]
the t1, trl1hl, & the tlr-2s are all capable of handling the recoil of a rifel just tighten the the locking screw up.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#23]
the remote tail switches offered by stream light will work with Dbal plugs.  there is also one with an off option.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

this is a surefire x300 on a 45 degree mount, and a stream light tlr-2 eye safe all IR = ir led illumination & IR class 1laser on a 90 degree mount

the setup is very narrow &clean using  the surefire dual switch to turn on either light. both lights have a off switch to prevent ADs
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My TLR-1 choice for rifles is their Long Gun Kit: Streamlight TLR-1 Long Gun Kit

Tomac
View Quote
Didn’t know they made that kit, that’s dang convenient.  I’ll be purchasing several when I get back to murica with my guns.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#25]

TLR-1S at 12 o'clock to facilitate running RH or LH.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:27:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I’ve had that light for several years.  Banging in and out of the car weekly ... for years.  Never had an issue when shooting with it.  I have the rifle pressure switch kit.   It’s a very solid light.   My surefire almost feels more fragile.  And the SF price is way higher.    I have both for work ... different platforms.  

Buy the stream light
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They work, but I consider them more of a handgun light
View Quote
Yeah. Throw is kinda weak in rural areas. 
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Have had a HL model on my duty gun for a few years.  No issues at all, great light for the price.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the TLR-1 too but have found it too thick to mount at 12 o'clock, which is why I prefer the Inforce WML.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

a tlr-1 is perfect on a carbine a tlr-1HL .is a brighter version easily abel to illuminate out to 100 meters.

a TLR-2 HL G is pure sex on a carbine  all mount easily and work great.

ITT /Stiener tape switches work in tlr remote caps

I currently have mounted on various rifels

TLR-1HL
TLR-2HLG
TLR-2 eyesafe -all IR version.

I like them
View Quote
Does the TLR-2 interfere with the sight picture if it is mounted at 12 o’clock?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#31]
yes
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#32]
I have two mounted to fsb rails due to regular carbine hand guards. I have gotten them hotter than hell they still work fine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a TRL-1 HL, the older 630 lumen one on my 12 gauge SLP and it still functions with recoil so it should be GTG on an AR15.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Love my TLRs.  I've got a handful in various "flavors".  Couple of TLR-1 that live on pistols and my AR pistol.   TLR1HP which is the large bezel model with a 400+ yard throw.  That pretty much lives on my AUG now.  Love it but the bezel size is quite comical to most folks but it's what gives it it's range. TLR-1VIR which has a standard white light and where the laser would be on a TLR-2 it has a small IR illuminator.  And a TLR-1IR which is a TLR-1 that's just IR no white light.

IMO the TLR series is probably one of the best bangs for the buck out there.  The way I hold my rifles/ar pistols it places the switch on the standard units right where I need it.  On the AUG I had to go with a remote pressure switch due to weird placement on the side of the receiver.

TLRs as long as they keep making them will probably continue to be my go to weapon light.

TLR1hp pictured below.

Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#35]
i just ordered the tlr-2 hl with the green laser ill update once i get it. Nothing but good reviews from people who put it on theirs so should be fine. shoot my pistol has more recoil than my DDm4 v7
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
i just ordered the tlr-2 hl with the green laser ill update once i get it. Nothing but good reviews from people who put it on theirs so should be fine. shoot my pistol has more recoil than my DDm4 v7
View Quote
I got one a few weeks ago.  I have an older tlr2 about 10 years old and I love it but the HL green is even better!!!!

I love it it 6 o clock.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4465/37028012414_da2fab4abc_o.jpg

TLR-1S at 12 o'clock to facilitate running RH or LH.
View Quote
I have my sbr set up the same way.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I was running a TLR-1 in the 12 o clock position on my BCM and honestly it's one of the best ways to run a rifle light, so long as you don't mind the light body being visible in your optic. I never had issues with it coming loose or anything on my AR, but I have had it loosen up on my 12 Guage.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#39]
If you already have the light then by all means mount it up, but IMHO a SureFire 6P or G2 with a Malkoff P61 350 lumen drop in will be @ the same cost and will serve you better as a weapons light.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 5:02:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The TLR-1 is great on pistols, but is an ergonomic disaster on a rifle. The switch doesn't move in a natural way for most hand positions, plus it cant snug up close to the handguard. I found it miserable so switched to a scout-type light with push button switch on the rear. Way way better IMHO.
View Quote
They work great regarding ergos at 12
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top