BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2012 8:21:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Holy crap, range of 400+ meters... I think I want one on my XD

Realistically what would be the use of such a beast? I typically think of weapon mounted lights as a short range tool.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Realistically what would be the use of such a beast? I typically think of weapon mounted lights as a short range tool.

i think that's pretty optimistic with only 200 lumens. would like to see some pics of this thing mounted on a railed handguard. i'm assuming it would have to overhang the end of the rail because of the wide reflector.

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

i think that's pretty optimistic with only 200 lumens. would like to see some pics of this thing mounted on a railed handguard. i'm assuming it would have to overhang the end of the rail because of the wide reflector.  

Mine should be on the way.  I am away next week but when I get back and try it out I'll let you know how it is.  I am upgrading from a TLR-1 (c4)
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

i think that's extremely optimistic with only 200 lumens. would like to see some pics of this thing mounted on a railed handguard. i'm assuming it would have to overhang the end of the rail because of the wide reflector.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i think that's extremely optimistic with only 200 lumens. would like to see some pics of this thing mounted on a railed handguard. i'm assuming it would have to overhang the end of the rail because of the wide reflector.  

Longer range has little to do with brightness/lumen rating, everything to with the reflector and lens/optic.

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Longer range has little to do with brightness/lumen rating, everything to with the reflector and lens/optic.  

Range has a lot to do with brightness, but anyway, to get 400 yards you would need at least one of the following:

very bright/small source
huge reflector
TIR or aspheric optic

Nope, that thing is not getting close to 400 yards.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Holy giant gun light batman!! That thing is huge.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#8]
So they make flashlights in Blunderbuss size now? Sweet!
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So they make flashlights in Blunderbuss size now? Sweet!

It looks like they put a head from a SuperTac on a TLR.  I compared a SuperTac to a TL series and the SuperTac definitely had a tighter beam.  I am lookin forward to tryin it out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a tag... for curiosities sake...

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
would like to see some pics of this thing mounted on a railed handguard. i'm assuming it would have to overhang the end of the rail because of the wide reflector.  

After the first shot, any interference with the muzzle is self-correcting...
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
would like to see some pics of this thing mounted on a railed handguard. i'm assuming it would have to overhang the end of the rail because of the wide reflector.  

After the first shot, any interference with the muzzle is self-correcting...

I think I have enough room, but if not I have a small riser
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 5:59:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Think I'd give one of these a try before I ever put that ridiculous thing on my gun.

500 Lumens without having to find a new holster.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Think I'd give one of these a try before I ever put that ridiculous thing on my gun.

http://www.ondutygear.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/surefire-x300-ultra.jpg

You just turned this into a surefire thread. So when is this coming out?
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ondutygear.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/surefire-x300-ultra.jpg

Not sure they showed it off at SHOT this year. Which means probably 2 years from now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure they showed it off at SHOT this year. Which means probably 2 years from now.

I need a few of them for my rifles and if these are in the works i see no need to get the regular x300s unless it will be a while before they're released.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll stick with surefire, thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I will probaby try one of the surefire x300 ultras, but steamlight beat them to market, so as soon as it arrives, i'll  be trying that one.   Not sure what happened with my order but I am waiting to hear back from the retailer.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Was curious if anyone had tried one of these lights yet? Also, didn't want the thread to die in case someone did
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Was curious if anyone had tried one of these lights yet? Also, didn't want the thread to die in case someone did

I just talked to my retailer (and another one just to check) and it looks like streamlight hasn't actually shipped them out to retailers yet.  Both retailers I talked to advised they will be in stock in a week or two, so I am waiting for my order to clear backorder status and ship.

ETA: I still don't see anyone even offering the surefire X300 Ultras yet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Got another message from my retailer.  They talked to streamlight and expect to recieve the shipment by the end of next week.  So I am hoping to have my light by the end of the following week....

standby for more!
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#22]
According to UPS mine should be delivered by end of day on Monday

I had a chance to handle one a couple months ago. It seemed to put out a good amount of light in a well defined beam, but that was indoors in a large lighted convention center. I'll share my thoughts after I get it and have a chance to play with it outside in the dark
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#23]
My HP arrived yesterday.

It has a narrower beam than the base TLR, and the C4 LED is white, not the slight blue tint of the TLR. The body is the same as the TLR, the reflector and LED circuit is of course different.

I have it mounted on a S&W 15-22 with a Outback II suppressor. The large reflector clears the barrel/suppressor just fine. Even with drizzling rain, I had no problem seeing a target at 70-75 yards.

I am sure the 400 yd range spoken of is the reflective range of the light. I have no problem believing this.

Time will tell, but for a little over $100 it seems to fill my needs just fine.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#24]
who was your retailer?
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Optics Planet
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Opticsplanet has them instock. Just ordered the streamlight  HP myself.

As for the surefire girls here....
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#27]
U
Quoted:
My HP arrived yesterday.

It has a narrower beam than the base TLR, and the C4 LED is white, not the slight blue tint of the TLR. The body is the same as the TLR, the reflector and LED circuit is of course different.

I have it mounted on a S&W 15-22 with a Outback II suppressor. The large reflector clears the barrel/suppressor just fine. Even with drizzling rain, I had no problem seeing a target at 70-75 yards.

I am sure the 400 yd range spoken of is the reflective range of the light. I have no problem believing this.

Pics don't seem to be loading
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Can't wait to see this mounted!
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
U
Quoted:
My HP arrived yesterday.

Yeah.....I have been on the bed/couch/floor for the last two days with a herniated disc, pinched nerve, etc. Hydrocodone is a wonderful thing.

promise something tomorrow, might be a possum

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
U
Quoted:
My HP arrived yesterday.

Yeah.....I have been on the bed/couch/floor for the last two days with a herniated disc, pinched nerve, etc. Hydrocodone is a wonderful thing.

promise something tomorrow, might be a possum

Ouch. That sucks. Feel better man.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Withour further delay...

With limited use this evening, it passes the new flashlight test. The beam is much brighter than the base TLR, but not quite as wide.

The body is similar, but machined differently to accecpt the larger reflector. Might look goofy, but it works.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Received mine Monday and compared it to a TLR-1 and a TLR-1S. I tried them at about 50 yards (as far as I could in my backyard). I did not see much difference between the TLR-1 and the TLR-1S, but the HP produced a much more concentrated and noticeably brighter beam. Even indoors if I shined the HP at a wall it was almost painful to look at whereas the others, while bright, were not. So, IMHO the HP provides brighter and better focused light than the earlier TLR lights. As mentioned above the HP does look a little goofy, and I do think the large front reflector will be more prone to being damaged than the smaller TLR's (I also have no illusions that any of these are as tough as a Surefire). But for 118 bucks you get a lot of light in a useable package
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#33]
That's nice. Is it tight or loose on the rail?
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's nice. Is it tight or loose on the rail?

Seems to lock up nice and tight with just finger pressure on the screw.

It has been overcast every night here, hope it clears up so I can see what range it has out in the open.....

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#35]
For the price ill definetly end up trying one, but I'm concerned about the durability with that bid front end
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Finally got mine.  Definitely brighter overall than the regular model.  The focused part of the center of the beam is quite small and intense.  For indoors, as long as you dont focus your vision directly on that center spot it's probably ok...but at the upper limit of the not-completely-blinding range.  Any brighter and it would not be any good indoors.  I am going to have to play with it to see if I am going to go with it or the older one or both even.

The captive battery door is nice, but makes it so you can't switch back and forth between the remote switch and regular switch backplates like the old one.

I'll try and get some pics up this week
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#37]
We received our first units at my shop today.   After playing with one at a trade show in Jan., I wanted one BAD.  I pull it out of the box, pop it on my mount, and.....the tape switch connector broke.   One of the small contact pins decided to snap off.   That part sucks, as does having to send new stock back to the MFR three minutes after coming out of the box.
The light itself, however, is badass.  I've used surefire, insight, and streamlight on my long guns.  For the money, this thing performs.  It's a spot, NOT a flood.  The lens element is massive but it plain works.  
I look forward to unboxing my new light...again.   I'd recommend the light itself to anyone, if he/she doesn't mind a large reflector.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Have two of these, just got them in from Optics Planet. Haven't had time to mess with them yet. They look really nice though especially for the money.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#39]
It would be cool if streamlight would make a diffusion flip-filter to put over the top of it so that you can leave it on for good diffuse light for indoors and flip it open for the long-range spot.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#40]
anybody else?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#41]
A local store has them for $174 and I was surprised that this price includes the tape switch.  This same store also has the TLR-4 in stock for $128.  That damn thing is badass for just $128.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 4:14:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Waiting on mine.  I ordered from LA Police gear and it's still on backorder.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'd be surprised if that turns out to REALLY be 500 lumens. I've had Streamlight lights with lower lumen ratings than SF lights but the Streamlights are still brighter... And the MSRP will probably be around the same price as 3-4 of the TLR-1HP's. And this has the same size reflector as the Streamlight Stinger DS, which only allows me to light up an object well at about 200 + yards, so the 400 yard speculation is a bit of a dramatization.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#44]
A group of companies from the flashlight industry got together to create a standard for measuring and labelling flashlight rating. I believe both SureFire and StreamLight were on the committee that wrote ANSI NEMA FL-1.
Bottomline is that the lumen output should be accurate, especially for models released since they started using the new standard. Also worth remembering that brightness is not what lumens measures.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top