Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/24/2006 1:14:57 PM EDT
It seems like I see lots of pictures of set ups with both a light and a vertical grip, but not too many with just a light.   I realize the vertical grip is probably most useful for CQB, along with the light, but I would think the light would be pretty useful even with out the forward vertical grip.

Am I wrong?   I'm getting together my new mid-length set up and I want to put a light on it, but I just don't see the benefit of the vertical grip right now.   I really don't want to much "stuff" hanging off of this thing making it too heavy.  

Anyone have a light but not a grip?   Can you post some pictures of your set ups?
Thanks,
guns762
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Having a vertical grip has nothing to do with illuminating and identifying your target. Unless of course your flashlight is in your vert grip.

And no, you don't need a vert grip to run a flashlight.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a scout light mounted on my FAL but I decided not to use a VG on the FAL, it just didn't feel right.  The FAL has a DSA handguard with rails.  I prefer the click tailcap and activate it with a finger.  I tried one of the Tangodown rail covers with the tape switch pocket and didn't like it.  The tape switch made a white light ND too likely.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I like being able to use the support hand thumb to press the rear switch on a 9 oclock mounted light.  No wires, and the light is far enough forward to prevent accidental activation.  Not "tactical", just practical.

Paladin
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

VG's do make things easier, but you don't need one for a light. You can mount the light off the FSB (or rail) and activate it with a pressure switch. You can also go with a click tailcap and just activate it with a knuckle or thumb.

C4

www.GRTactical.com

I realize you don't HAVE to have one  to use a light, I just noticed that most people do.

BTW, I ordered one of your basic G2 packages yesterday.   I plan on putting  it on  the left side of my two piece YHM forend.   I tried a VG on a friends AR, but didn't like it much.  It just feels better with my hand on the forend.  

Thanks for the pictures guys!   Nice looking setups.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:08:27 AM EDT
[#7]

About as basic and functional as you can get.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#8]
A tape/pressure switch will make your life a whole lot easier if you are not using a vertical foregrip.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A tape/pressure switch will make your life a whole lot easier if you are not using a vertical foregrip.

I might have to try that.   I'm thinking that, with the light at the 9:00 position, the switch will be pretty easy to hit with my left thumb.   I may decide otherwise, once I've gotten a chance to try it on the gun.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Any experiences with running a pressure tape to the  side of the mag well for light use with the support hand / mag well type grip?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Any experiences with running a pressure tape to the  side of the mag well for light use with the support hand / mag well type grip?

That's the way I do it and it works nicely.  I used nylon zip ties to secure the excess cord on the switch to the fore end.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:02:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the way I do it and it works nicely.  I used nylon zip ties to secure the excess cord on the switch to the fore end.

Switch on the right side for activation with the fingers I assume, or on the left  under the heel of the hand?

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:35:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Check the industry forum for Brightflashlights.   Or, this link should take you to the right page.  http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=142&t=146607  

I have my light mounted exactly as pictured in the second picture on the page.  It's a MI short handguard rail mount and a viking tactics offset light mount.  It puts my G2 with Z32 bezel at about the 10:30 position on my CAR handguard.  I operate the push button switch with my support hand thumb.  Perfect for me.  BTW, planning on getting a Z49 clickie tail cap for it too....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Switch on the right side for activation with the fingers I assume, or on the left  under the heel of the hand?

Thanks for the info.

I no longer have a dominant hand or a strong side or weak side.  I do so many transitions from right to left hand shooting that the only way to go is putting the switch where it can be easily manipulated by either hand when transitioned.  That's what is nice about a vertical foregrip.  It can help to make transtions smoother with the right setup for the task.
I recently removed my vertical foregrip and using 100 mile-an-hour tape, taped the switch in the 01:30 position between the rails of my KAC M4 RAS.  Not the most ideal setup, but the pressure switch is easily manipulated with the index, middle or ring finger of the left hand and the thumb of the right hand.  The setup serves a need for me to place my rifle in a rifle rack in my patrol car for quick deployment or I would still be running a vertical foregrip on my carbine.
Those are the reasons I have for my current setup.  If your needs closely resemble mine, take this into consideration.  If your rifle is for another purpose all together, I'm just blowing a lot of hot air, which can be felt by placing your hand in front of that fan on the back of your computer tower.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one more question.   I ordered the G2 light, but didn't order the Z32 Bezel yet.   Can someone tell me the benefits of the Z32?   Does it just protect the bulb from shock? Or is there more?
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top