Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2006 11:25:48 AM EDT
This might help people avoid the copies.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Is people buying Airsoft PEQ replicas, thinking they are getting real PEQs, a problem?

What brand (Airsoft) of PEQ is that?  I've never seen that type before.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is some info on the real PAQ-4:

AN/PAQ-4A/4C Infrared Aiming Light

Manufacturer: Insight Technology, Manchester, New Hampshire
AN/PAQ-4A:
Length: 6.1 inches (15.49 centimeters)
Width: 1.7 inches (4.32 centimeters)
Height: 2.1 inches (5.33 centimeters)
Weight:
Without batteries: 2.7 oz. (76.68 grams)
With batteries: 9 oz. (255.15 grams)
Range: 100 meters minimum
Beam divergence: less than 2 milliradians
Power source: 1 BA-5567 or 2 AA batteries (BA-3058)
Unit Replacement Cost: $402

Features: The AN/PAQ-4A Infrared Aiming Light is a lightweight, battery powered, pulsating infrared-emitting target marking beam, invisible to the naked eye. It allows the user to accurately engage targets at night while wearing night vision goggles. This aiming light is adapted for use with the M16 rifle, and can be adapted for use on the M60 machine gun, the M2 heavy machine gun, and the M249 SAW.
The AN/PAQ-4A emits a small, pulsing infrared beam, invisible to the naked eye. The system utilizes a Class I laser (Helium-Neon) to generate the aiming point. It marks targets out to a minimum of 100 meters and a maximum of 200-300 meters depending on the ambient light available. The system can be powered by one standard lithium battery, BA-5567, which will operate the aiming light for 40 hours continuously, or two standard AA batteries. The light weighs 9 ounces and is designed to operate in the -54° C (-129° F) to +65° C (149° F) temperature range. It also meets all military specifications for shock and vibration. Once the beam is boresighted to the weapon for "point of aim/point of impact," the firer simply places the pulsating beam on the target and shoots.

Background: The AN/PAQ-4A is in the third year of its production. The PAQ-4A is meant to be used in conjunction with the AN/PVS-7B Night Vision Goggles. The Infrared Aiming Light is intended for employment with all Marine Corps units equipped with night vision goggles. It is versatile and adaptable to a wide variety of missions throughout the Marine Corps. The AN/PAQ-4C is an improved version of the AN/PAQ-4A that will overcome some of the recognized deficiencies in the AN/PAQ-4A.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Perhaps you can indicate which is which in the phots, the only one that is obvious is the one of the bottom with the Insight sticker.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#7]
The real one has a black metal washer below the selector knob.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#8]
It is actually a very nice replica, for those who can't find (or afford) a real PAQ-4C. There are many minor differences between the two.

(always ask for clear pics of this before buying)

- The side label will be cut on the PAQ's seal (dead giveawy of a clone) Not shown in the pics
- The label is waterproof on the real one, and has a grayish tint to the black. The clone uses label paper. Some PAQ-4Cs domn't have labels, but have the info screen-printed on the body.
- ID/Serial # plate doesn't exist on the clone
- Under the washer is a "molded" circular ridge, an artifact of the PAQ-4B tooling, that accomodated a round mount nut on earlier versions
- Top scematic is a label vs. the screen printed real version
- Fake KAC mount, vs. real low-rise USGI, the real KAC isn't standard issue...and it has the KAC logo & NSN#
- Mount screw has Euro Threads, and isn't "rounded", like the real mount-screw. Some real ones have coin slots, some don't (both of my real PAQs have them, unlike the pics)
- Clone isn't weather/waterproof
- The light diffuser cone is glued in
- The battery cap has Euro threads
- The clone has a cheap tapeswitch (the real tapeswitch is not compatable with the clone's)
- The real IR laser will have a blue-coated protective lens cover, deep inside the unit. The clone just has a naked  laser

Other than that, they are nearly identical.

The "IR Store" on ebay sells an IR retrofitted clone that is every inch as bright and sharp as my real PAQ-4 and PEQ-2A (on lower power). I'd consider the IR clone a real bargain for someone just putzing-around with IR lasers. I think they go for $250, or something like that. But then again...we're talking about China.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Some real shots of a newer model PAQ

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you mean metal washer below the attachment screw?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

GREAT shots as always!

Thanks,

I'll have to get together again with Grant, and do a side-by-side comparison with a bunch of IRs at common targets, at different distances...so far the PEQ-2 is the king of the distance hill. I think I can put a dot on the moon .

I'm intrigued with the IWAL...we tested it one night. I thought it was awesome!...If it fits my pistol rail, I may need to get one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes please photo photos of the illumination patterns. I would like to see an Itilla also.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top