Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2006 8:09:18 AM EDT
Hello all!

I recently purchased a "basic" light combo. Surefire 6P, Pentagon pigtail switch, and basic mount.

At first, I mounted the light on the right side (ejection port) of the weapon. However, the weapon had a hard time fitting into my small Eagle rifle bag. I moved the light to most foward, bottom rail of my surefire M73.

I was wondering, why does almost everyone mount their lights on the sides of their weapons? Is there anything bad about mounting a light on the bottom? I noticed in the Blackhawk Down movie, the delta commandos also mounted their lights at the bottom instead of to the side.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I have my Surefire mounted at the 3 o'clock position on my Surefire M73. For my particular set-up that is what works. You will need to try your light in different positions and figure out what works for you. When I pack my gun up in its case I detach the light from the weapon. I really do not think that there is a right or wrong position, it is just a matter of personal preference. Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd prefer to have the light on the inside rail ...as I've been clumsy enough to ram my Surefire into a wall or two during drills - sucks.  But I find it really interferes with your sling, unless it's a single point.

On the outside rail it also minimizes the distance your thumb has to travel to hit the pushbutton, assuming you're not into pressure switches...obviously.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Take this as some constructive critism.....

You should mount the light where YOU want to mount it.  What works for you might not work for me and vice versa.  Please don't base your decision on what you've seen in a movie.

Also, if you're uncomfortable with removing your light everytime you want to put it in your case, then you should consider purchasing a case that will hold your rifle with the light mounted.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Please don't base your decision on what you've seen in a movie.

Wasn't just in the movie.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I always question those who mount flashlights or anything for that matter......to a barrel.

HOT!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

www.hunt101.com/img/367039-big.jpg

Geez.  Can you at least concede that there are better options available today than there were when that pic was taken.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.hunt101.com/img/367039-big.jpg

Geez.  Can you at least concede that there are better options available today than there were when that pic was taken.

Oh, sure your absolutely correct. Back then there were no railed HG’s so barrel mounted lights were as good as it came.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I would guess that with a tape switch you'd put the light where it doesn't get in the way of your FOV or your sling- basically where it doesn't interfere with anything else and where nothing interferes with it.  

As far as those of us stuck with push button lights , a member of this board who owns his own training company advised me that it's best to mount the light on the inside rail so you can activate it with your weak thumb WITHOUT twisting your hand around your VFG like a motorcycle throttle.  You don't have to twist or move your hand and at all to bring your thumb from a gripping position to a "thumbs up" position where you can press the button.

I thought I'd share since I see so many push buttons on the right side of the rifle in the picture thread and I know we don't have that many lefties here...

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree that in many ways, it's personal preference.  Put it where it's comfortable to you.

The only thing I havn't seen mentioned is that in my experience, while firing, the cloud of burnt propellant will reflect the beam back at you to some degree-if there's no wind.  This is more pronounced, I have noticed, when the light is mounted the further from the bottom of the weapon.

I have experienced this in night quals and the occasional rifle night match I've attended.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I always question those who mount flashlights or anything for that matter......to a barrel.

HOT!

Maybe in 1993 that was cutting edge?

Mike
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HOT!

Maybe in 1993 that was cutting edge?

Mike

Ya think?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is a pic of my set up-

Seems to work for me.........
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:23:31 AM EDT
[#13]
For those who don't use a tapeswitch, the side is about the only way to operate the switch.  I'd guess that inertia has soemthing to do with it.  It's been done that way for a while, so why not keep doing it.  I think a lot of people don't put it on the bottom because for so long that's there the sling went.  On top wouldn't work obviously because of the front sight.  On the top of the barrel itself would be the best IMO.  Using a mount that attaches to the front sight, and or barrel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll throw in. I put my light on the 3 O'clock rail about 2 years ago. Did it because I don't like Tape switches. I ran with a Charlie Switch. The way I held onto my VFG (Choke the chicken) method determined where my light was going to be mounted and using an offset adapter placed the switch right by my thumb at around 4-5 Oclock position.  I since adapted a different hold on the VFG and use the Thumb straight up method.  So I moved my light back to the 9 O'clock rail and ditched the offset adapter. Now I can activate my light with my thumb easy. Again, location was determined by a technique I use to control my weapon.

That's how it worked for me thru my evolution. I'm pretty sure that's how it works for everyone (Not the location) but the journey to find out what works best.  Now I know some guys that swear by having the VFG out as far as you can and they are taking their lights with them and mounting at 6 Oc'lock. That works for them.  There is also a school of thought that 6 O'clock is the best location as it eliminates the light shadowing your weapon on left/Right barricades/corners.

The light location really is based on other techniques, whether it be the Use of a VFG or not, or the use of your handguards or maybe mag well,etc. if you have no technique you run with consistenly, then you need to find one that works and stick with it. Then you will know exactly where you need to put your light. That's what worked for me..
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I have my Surefire mounted on the 6 o'clock rail and use a VFG and tape switch. Cornering with the light at 3 or 9 o'clock sucks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'll throw in. I put my light on the 3 O'clock rail about 2 years ago. Did it because I don't like Tape switches. I ran with a Charlie Switch. The way I held onto my VFG (Choke the chicken) method determined where my light was going to be mounted and using an offset adapter placed the switch right by my thumb at around 4-5 Oclock position.  I since adapted a different hold on the VFG and use the Thumb straight up method.  So I moved my light back to the 9 O'clock rail and ditched the offset adapter. Now I can activate my light with my thumb easy. Again, location was determined by a technique I use to control my weapon.

That's how it worked for me thru my evolution. I'm pretty sure that's how it works for everyone (Not the location) but the journey to find out what works best.  Now I know some guys that swear by having the VFG out as far as you can and they are taking their lights with them and mounting at 6 Oc'lock. That works for them.  There is also a school of thought that 6 O'clock is the best location as it eliminates the light shadowing your weapon on left/Right barricades/corners.

The light location really is based on other techniques, whether it be the Use of a VFG or not, or the use of your handguards or maybe mag well,etc. if you have no technique you run with consistenly, then you need to find one that works and stick with it. Then you will know exactly where you need to put your light. That's what worked for me..

That's what I was trying to say.  I wasn't smart enough to use the familiar o'clock terminology.  duh...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#18]
You can mount your light on the bottom rail, and activate your "Clickie Switch" with the knuckle of your weak fore finger as a last resort...if you want it on the bottom.

I have had mine mounted several ways, and the 3:00 position, in a LaRue offset mount, activating the tail switch with my weak hand thumb from a TD Vertical Grip works best for me. You really should look at a Vertical Grip if you are mounting a light. Just seems to make light manipulation a lot easier.

Regardless....don't let your carrying case mandate the best place for your light. When the bullets start to fly, your case won't have a "Vote"!

Tack
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I am buying an MI front sight base rail mount to attach a Surefire X200B on the right and an MI forward side sling attachment, on the left.

It is out of the way, solid, and doesn't require me to remove the handguards.(They are the M4 Oval ones, that I like.)

Also, I'm not a big fan of adding all kinds of devices to my rifle. I need a weapon light for illuminating dark areas in close spaces, and prefer the use of my iron sights. I am also concerned of weight. The more attachments, the heavier the rifle. I have not ruled out a Scope, and may end up with an ACOG, of some sort or an Aimpoint eventually.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You can mount your light on the bottom rail, and activate your "Clickie Switch" with the knuckle of your weak fore finger as a last resort...if you want it on the bottom.

That's how I used to do mine, although I only had the momentary switch.  With my short arms, it was a pain to keep my support hand so far down the handguard.  I've since switch to shooting while gripping the mag well with my support hand, so it made sense to go to a tape switch and mount it there.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#21]
For the Surefire lights, is the tapeswitch a 'clickie' or does it illuminate only when pressed?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
For the Surefire lights, is the tapeswitch a 'clickie' or does it illuminate only when pressed?

It's momentary.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Is anyone using a Surefire with tapeswitch at the 6 o'clock position? I'd love to see a pic of it if someone has this setup.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Another problem with under-barrel mounting of a light is barrel shadow.  Basically your barrel will block a portion of the light and, unfortunately, the portion that it blocks is the part that's in your line of sight.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Is anyone using a Surefire with tapeswitch at the 6 o'clock position? I'd love to see a pic of it if someone has this setup.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

HOT!

Well I don't have a pic of it, but I have a TAC III light mounted at the 12:00 in front of the sight tower. If you drop it it is somewhat protected by the end of the barrel and the sight post, does not snag on things and if you put your gun through a port the light goes with it ,not below or beside it. I agree clamping something to a barrel may not be the best for shooting tight groups but for a 16" gun inside 100 yrds it does ok.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I have Pentagon X3HA mounted at 3 o'clock (looking towards the barrel from receiver) which I use my weakhand's thumb to activate. If you are going to do this, I recommend an off-set mount instead of a straight one because you might have to reach higher to put your weak hand's thumb on the flash light button.

However, I haven't had much problem, because rather than clicking the entire button I just use my thumb to "push" one edge of the pentagon-shape button which also activates light.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#28]
The offset mounts are usually for those who have to operate a button on the back of their light. Personally, I am a big fan of the tape switch. It offers unparalleled control of the light with just a squeeze of the hand.

With a tapeswitch, I think the best mount for the light is directly under the barrel. This has the effect with most lights of putting the hotspot of the light DIRECTLY in line with your sights at most distances. It also keeps the light in an out of the way location that won't snag on your sling or make the weapon any wider than it has to be, which is a BIG help in room clearing.

The best light setups are directly under the barrel. Surefire's all in one forward grip light is a directly under the barrel light. As are their forends for the 870 and the MP5.

As for mounting a light directly to the barrel, it can be done without adverse effect on the light providing you have the right setup. Surefires old style universal light is a pretty good example of a direct barrel mount that is still in use by lots of folks who swear by them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#29]
On my non-VFG carbine this setup feels best to me...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I love the SureFire M500 light series but hate the weight and cost. I'm looking to mount a light in the same position, roughly 2 o'clock.  Does the Viking offset mount allow you to do that?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Calvin,

Thanks for posting that pic. Am i correct to assume that I can flip that mount around and it will work fine at the 1 o'clock position?

Also, I have another question. I remember a previous post about the Pentagon lights arriving with an integral LaRue offset mount.  Can I mount this on the top rail at the 1 o'clock position as well?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a surefire vertical foregrip light M900.  I like it because it keeps everything inline.  I don't like the idea of having my light hanging off the side where it could bang into something or get caught on my own gear.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top