Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2006 4:58:08 PM EDT
I know there are a few PAQ-4Cs available out there, you see them on the EE from time to time and on other adboards.  There are also a lot of airsoft knock-offs out there.

Is there any way to tell if a PAQ-4C is the real thing and not a clever fake?

Is there any way to tell if it is legal to own?  I have read that there were some on the market before the current FDA regs were in force and are civilian legal.  Is this true?  Or are they all illegal, that is stolen military property?

Any info and advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I knew it wouldn't be long before we started seeing threads about how to tell fakes from real equipment around here.  

Sorry I can't help but at least this topic will go to the top...

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used plenty of PAQ-4C and PEQ-2s, but never actuly handled the clones. One thing I did notice is that the plug for the remote switch (that kinda tape switch deal) is diffrent in the pics I have seen of the fakes and the real ones. On the fakes it looks like a walkman headset plug (3.5mm audio jack?). Other than that, can't help you out too much.

mrf2
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
There are many ways to tell.

The dead giveaways:

- Fake: have a switch function "decal" . The real ones are screen-printed on, with soluable-resistant pigment

- A standard IT tape switch (button, or thick rubber pad) will only fit IT products. The fake ones have a cheap tape switch.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#4]
you know if the fakes will hold a zero on a real AR?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
no so don't buy one
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info!  The label and tape switch look like the easiest ways to tell the difference.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:15:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:28:24 AM EDT
[#8]
The real ones have an FDA laser radiation warning on them, also the writing on the paq-4c should only be in white.. There are alot of very good clones so be careful., If you want a real one I have about 3 of them with low mounts I'd let go for 850 a piece....
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top