Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/2/2005 1:18:03 AM EDT
Ok, now to make the choice.

Pentagon light is a for sure in my build. Only debate I'm having is which kind of setup. I'll more then likely be putting it in a viking mount, but I'm open to other ideas on mounting (such as offset YHM + 1" scope ring, etc)

X2 vs X3, I know the X3 has 130 lumens to the X2's 70 lumens, but how bright is bright enough? I'd merely use it to ID targets indoor/outdoor out to 20 yards or so? (Home defense, bump in the night, etc)

If the X2 can do that justly, I might as well save the money and put it towards a pressure switch for my TD VFG?

I know hard anodized is supposedly harder finish, and doesn't reflect, but I think it's OD looking and fugly on a black rifle unless you're doing a 2 tone black/od look. Sorry, just imho. I'd RATHER get the black anodized one... I'll suffer the chance of having my flashlight "reflect" light more... I'll be shining the light anyways? Not exactly a covert approach in itself...

Thanks all, chime in
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:07:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2005 5:07:31 AM EDT by C4iGrant]
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:56:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By C4iGrant:

Originally Posted By Junkyard_Strangler:
Ok, now to make the choice.

Pentagon light is a for sure in my build. Only debate I'm having is which kind of setup. I'll more then likely be putting it in a viking mount, but I'm open to other ideas on mounting (such as offset YHM + 1" scope ring, etc)

X2 vs X3, I know the X3 has 130 lumens to the X2's 70 lumens, but how bright is bright enough? I'd merely use it to ID targets indoor/outdoor out to 20 yards or so? (Home defense, bump in the night, etc)

If the X2 can do that justly, I might as well save the money and put it towards a pressure switch for my TD VFG?

I know hard anodized is supposedly harder finish, and doesn't reflect, but I think it's OD looking and fugly on a black rifle unless you're doing a 2 tone black/od look. Sorry, just imho. I'd RATHER get the black anodized one... I'll suffer the chance of having my flashlight "reflect" light more... I'll be shining the light anyways? Not exactly a covert approach in itself...

Thanks all, chime in

I don't like the Viking mount with a metal torch. I would go with the Daniel Defense offset. I also do not like the black finish on the Pentagon lights (to shiny and cheap looking). The X2 should serve your needs well.

C4

www.GRTactical.com

You sell the viking mount and have recommended it in other threads. Why is it not good on metal lights? Is the black anodized finish actually cheap, or just cheap looking
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 6:33:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:44:06 AM EDT
Love the X3-HA on my RRA middie.
The pics don't show it but I have switched to the clicky tailcap.
Using a Daniel Defense mount.

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:40:30 AM EDT
As the owner of a black anodized X2, let me recommend you go for the Hard Anodized. I've worn off the finish in a couple places, and think the HA would have handled the wear much better. The overall integrity of the flashlight is still perfect, though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 12:46:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Not_A_Llama:
As the owner of a black anodized X2, let me recommend you go for the Hard Anodized. I've worn off the finish in a couple places, and think the HA would have handled the wear much better. The overall integrity of the flashlight is still perfect, though.

Ah, thanks. Think I'll go with the HA.

Grant - how would placing some black electrical tape over the location at which the light is mounted with the viking work?

The DD mount is almost as expensive as the light itself... I can't seem to justify that
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:55:08 AM EDT

how would placing some black electrical tape over the location at which the light is mounted with the viking work?

I put three layers of electrical tape over the set screw holes, and they still dug into the light slightly. I figure I'm going to leave it in the mount, so the marred finish won't really bother me. I had my doubts about a plastic mount, but 1200+ rds later it seems to be holding up really well.

I can't speak for the HA vs BA finish, but mine still looks pretty good. I figure I've got it mounted on an AR that's close to ten years old and is starting to show its age, so a little wear on it will just help it blend in.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:05:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:57:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/6/2005 12:58:11 AM EDT by Junkyard_Strangler]
Decided to go with the Vltor mount... and the X2 HA from nwtactical, because Teknik lives only 30 mins from me! He's out of town though, but when he delivers and I get it I'll report back how I like it, and with pics.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:25:34 AM EDT

Decided to go with the Vltor mount... and the X2 HA from nwtactical, because Teknik lives only 30 mins from me! He's out of town though, but when he delivers and I get it I'll report back how I like it, and with pics.

Thanks

I'm shopping for the same light... went to check out NWTactical.... web-site is closed, he hasn't paid his bill.... Check out this site. They have the X2 for $47.48 vs. $65.95 MSRP

Great Light Prices - Island Security Store
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:34:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:59:29 PM EDT
Actually the prices ARE cheaper at Island Tactical, but I chose to support this board for the extra 5$

:)

And I forgot to tell you 200-10x:
NWtactical is now http://www.rainierarms.com/
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:01:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:22:38 PM EDT
Hey Grant, how do the LED versions compare to the xenon?
I've got a bunch of surefire G2s and thought I might try a LED

I noted that you dont carry the L3, any reason for that?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:30:48 PM EDT
I bought my X3HA from http://www.rainierarms.com/ for $84.95 shipped and had it in 2 days from Washington state to GA.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 12:06:45 AM EDT
What kind of power switch do these come with stock, a button on/off or a twist?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:59:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:54:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By C4iGrant:

Originally Posted By 200-10x:

Thanks

I'm shopping for the same light... went to check out NWTactical.... web-site is closed, he hasn't paid his bill.... Check out this site. They have the X2 for $47.48 vs. $65.95 MSRP

Great Light Prices - Island Security Store

Actually, those prices are not very good and you can do better with the dealers on this board. Island Tactical also does NOT support this board!

www.gandrtactical.com/pentagonlight.htm

C4

Grant,

I didn't know that Island Tactical didn't support the board, thought I'd seen them here... and thought that you only sold the mounts, not the Pentagon lights themselves.... DOH !!!

I fully support patronizing those vendors that support ARFCOM. I'll email you today, to order my Pentagon L2 from you
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:01:17 AM EDT

Actually the prices ARE cheaper at Island Tactical, but I chose to support this board for the extra 5$

:)

And I forgot to tell you 200-10x:
NWtactical is now http://www.rainierarms.com/

Thanks for the "heads up" on www.raineirarms.com", strangler... adding to my list
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:21:24 AM EDT
You really do want the HA. I have the X3 and love it. I tried my X3 in the Viking mount and it chewed up my lightl, even with tape in place. I've now goe back to a metal mount. The Viking is great with a G2 kinda thing, but it places the light to close to the rails and that can interfere with rail covers and VFGs.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:04:02 AM EDT

Are any of these handheld Pentagon lights shock-isolated???

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:05:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:16:57 AM EDT

Excellent.

Also, I'm confused on this. I've read it both ways.

I know the L2 has momentary and clicky.

Does the X2 have momentary/twist on or momentary/clicky

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:45:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:18:28 PM EDT

Actually, it looks like my L2 is momentary w/ twist on/off. Dangit
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:37:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:50:54 PM EDT

HA. Wierd b/c the description said it was click on/off.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:22:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:53:12 AM EDT

no, it wassealed. thanks man
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:20:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CA2VAyay:
Hey Grant, how do the LED versions compare to the xenon?
I've got a bunch of surefire G2s and thought I might try a LED

I noted that you dont carry the L3, any reason for that?

+1

Looking hard right now for a light also... Have looked at the Pentagon and was wondering if I should go LED or not... I am a cop (not SWAT) and will use for general perimeter, building checks, etc. Was looking at the X3-HA, but was wanting some opinion on the LED (L2/L3/L4?)...

Thanks, in advance!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:43:56 AM EDT
Any word on the X4?

X4
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:57:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:15:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 8:23:10 AM EDT by BrightFlashlights]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:32:22 AM EDT

For the money, the L2 is an awesome light. But it is no Surefire.

Here is a mini-review:

The click-it tailcap is not as "sure" as the Surefire. The cap as a whole seems a little cheapy. At times, I can hardly tell if I clicked the switch or not because it is hard to feel or hear it. It is just no the solid, unmistakable "click" like the Surefires.

Also, when I locked out the tailcap, I shook the light back and forth and it came on and off. I think the batteries were hitting up against the cap and activating the light.

B/c of this it is not quite up to Surefire standards, but for the $$$, I can live w/ that.

Top Top