Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/9/2003 10:19:13 AM EDT
Hello folks.

Before I venture into M96x series, I wanted to try out low-end Sure-fire products first. I'm going to attach them to my SIR using any 1" Weaver ring and I was curious which one I'm better off with. The only difference I know is that 6P is aluminium construction and has tail lock cap while G2 is a Nitron construction. Which would be better for do-it-all light?
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 11:07:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 11:40:31 AM EDT
I think current 6P's have flats milled on the sides. these flats may interfier with putting the light in a weaver ring. The G2 will not fit in a 1" weaver ring. I have two G2's. The first one I gbought over a year ago. It is very well made. The more recent one appears to use a less dense plastic, and the switch isnt as "tight." Of course what do you expect for a $25.00 flashlight that comes with batteries. I'm pretty much at the point that I view the G2 as a spare battery and lamp carrier, that is shaped light a flashlight.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 2:29:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AR15fan: The G2 will not fit in a 1" weaver ring.
View Quote
What size rings will it fit in?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:40:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2003 7:43:18 PM EDT by Corey]
Originally Posted By AR15fan: .... I'm pretty much at the point that I view the G2 as a spare battery and lamp carrier, that is shaped light a flashlight.
View Quote
Okay. But have you had any problems with your G2's?? From my experience and what I've seen with other AR15.com G2 users, the G2 is a durable little light. It can easily perform "personal light" duty, and does very well as an inexpensive weaponlight on a 5.56. IMHO, G2's are an incredible buy at $28. Not so much that they are underpriced (another $10 higher puts them out of their market), but that they are simply that good/durable. EDITED for a typo.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:01:05 PM EDT
View Quote
I have a G2 Mounted in a el cheapo 1" ring on the side of my rail system. Granted, the ring will not close totally, but certain 1" rings will work. Mine is a two-piece ring that splits horizontally through the ears, and there is just a little gap left. - Nw -
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:57:48 AM EDT
The G2 is better than the 6P in my experience. Same ratings; but cheaper and the Nitrolon body appears a lot more shock resistant than the aluminium body of the 6P. For the price of a single 6P, you could have two G2s - which gives you a spare flashlight and batteries should your first G2 fail.
The G2 will not fit in a 1" weaver ring.
View Quote
I am using a Millet low-mount 1" weaver ring to mount my G2 in and it fits in there. You have to open the rings all the way up to get it in there; but it does fit.
Mine is a two-piece ring that splits horizontally through the ears, and there is just a little gap left.
View Quote
Same here. I paid $20 for two of the Millets at Academy; but you can buy cheaper versions of these through CDNN for $3-5 per ring.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:05:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:06:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2003 12:14:48 PM EDT by Va_Dinger]
Try the TRG "Weapon Flashlight Mount". Fits dam near any flashlight and is rugged as hell. I think I saw pictures of the 82nd Airborne using them in Afghanistan+Iraq on their M4's. It also reqiures no tools what so ever.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:48:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/18/2003 7:50:13 AM EDT by Forest]
View Quote
[gary coleman]What'ch you talk'n about Willis?[/gary coleman] I've got two G2's sitting in 1" rings right now. I even ran a night course with a G2 in a 1" ring.
I'm pretty much at the point that I view the G2 as a spare battery and lamp carrier, that is shaped light a flashlight.
View Quote
?? I much prefer my G2s to my 6P. Lighter, cheaper (like half the price), textured grip, and can take dropping much better (got that from a Surefire rep). I just wish they made the 6v classic weapon light in their plastic - it would sure help with weight.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:12:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:58:44 AM EDT
I must be different, I change the batteries by removing the lamp. Once I get the tail end set to where I like it I just hate moving it. Now I know there is a better reason not to remove the tailcap.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:21:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Forest:
View Quote
[gary coleman]What'ch you talk'n about Willis?[/gary coleman] I've got two G2's sitting in 1" rings right now. I even ran a night course with a G2 in a 1" ring.
View Quote
Are they [i]weaver[/i] 1" rings? None of the several Weaver brand 1" rings in my spare parts bin will open enough to accept a G2. I have other 1" rings, that use 4 screws instead of the two screws common to a Weaver ring, that will work.
Top Top