Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/2/2003 6:30:48 PM EDT
I just finished my surefire L72 project. It is a MH90 body the laser module and a pressure switch tail cap, THANKS brightLights all mounted on an extra ARMS 17 base. Now I sighted it in by simply adjusting it to the top of the front sight post. Here is my first oddity. Looking though my aimpoint the laser doe is very dim when viewed through the aimpoint. vaery odd I thought. Anyway also the laser is only sighted in for the specific range you Zero it at. Or at least that is the way it seems. If I sight it in at a longer distance will I be able to minimize the offset? Also even under overcast conditions the dot is barely visible during the day. All In all it works I guess. Are green lasers more visible during the day?

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:44:57 AM EDT
[#1]
You just found out most of the realities of the visible laser.  I have the same setup as you do.  I suspect the reason the dot is dim through your Aimpoint is the coating Aimpoint puts on the front lens to cut glare and keep the red dot from being seen from the front side, just a guess on that though (not sure if that is what keeps the red dot from emitting through the front).  Yes, the laser is only sighted in for the range it is zeroed out, that's just basic physics.  It will only be good (perfectly on) at two distances, just like iron sights, since the bullet travels in an arc and your laser is straight.  Anything before or after one of those points and the point of impact will be off somewhat.  If you zero it far away, it will just be that much more off at closer distances.  All you can do it zero it at the distance you intend to use it at, and adjust for an offset in your head when the target is not at that particular range, just like iron sights.  Commercial visibles lasers are not normally visible in full daylight, only in dimmer conditions, night, or indoors - that's the way they all are.  The green laser is apparently brighter to the eye, but no visible laser you are likely to get your hands on will be usable in full daylight.  They are simply not that effective.  Nothing wrong with the laser, just your expectations.  When not in broad daylight, my L72 can be seen up to two miles away (when you track it through magnified optics).  It's better than most (cheesy brands) in the daylight, but not expected to be usable under that condition.  However, indoors and at night it is awesome.  If commercial visible lasers weren't limited to 5mw in power, the situation might be different.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:15:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I am glad this little project only cost me the price of the MH90 and the tail cap. The L72 was given to me by a cousin who the thing sitting on a work bench collecting dust for the past few years. Yes as far as dealing with the offset it is kinda bothersome being that I mount the laser on the left rail so when it is off my poi is going to be left of my poa. Whish there was a way to put it on the bottom rail and still retain the forward grip hummmmmmmm... Oh well It's kinda cool I guess.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:21:04 AM EDT
[#3]
[shock] Wow!  What a generous gift!  That L72 head costs about $575!

I didn't realize you were talking about a horizontal offset, I was just thinking about the vertical effect.  If you zero it farther away, it will lessen the horizontal offset being variable in relation to range.  If you zero it offset to your POI, the same as it's offset on the rifle, it will always be off by that much, but won't change.

You now see that yeah, it has a cool factor, and yeah, it's not so practical.  IR lasers + NV gear is another story.  Enjoy your toy.  If you get into CQB, it might even be usefull. Still, so it's a two or three inches off POI, still in the kill zone.  Damn, I wish someone gave me my L72!

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=18779[/img]

Looks cool, huh?  This rig is just for cool and photo ops, would never actually use this front heavy, laser toyed thing in real combat.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Is that a MH90 or 95 body? As for cool gifts it was given to my cousin as an example to be considered for another companies laser sights but they did not like the optical wedges the L72 uses for adjustment as it is set up in polar notation rather than windage and elevation. Like I said it was collecting dust on a shelf and headed for the dumps eventually so he gave it to me. IS the suppresor real? I am saving my pennies to get a Troy insustries one day. The idea being I could swap it back and forth between my M4 and my SPR. As for Ir laser and NV stuff well that is down the road but I am afraid it will suffer this same POI and POA problem. I need to get out in some low light and shoot with a laser.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe it's the M95 housing, it used to be a M952C.  Suppressor is real, it's an M4-96D.  I would love to get into NV&IR but I don't have spare thousands of dollars lying around.  The real boon with that stuff is no one else without NV can see it, and I am sure it stands out really well with the NV gear on.

If I did the visible laser thing over again, I would probably get an OTAL - it's a lot more compact.

By all means, go play in the evening, it's still a lot of fun, and still close enough to POI for killshots.  Might miss a tin can though, except at the zeroed distance.  Impress the locals...
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I purchased a laser but took my sweet time doing it. I was able to get my hands ona 632nm laser point. The lower the nanometers the better the laser. It has some serious distance but it a bit dim on regular light.  Mine would be for home defense or tactical cqb TCT situations. It also doesnt have the cr123 batter in it but the lr44 config
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I purchased a laser but took my sweet time doing it. I was able to get my hands ona 632nm laser point. The lower the nanometers the better the laser. It has some serious distance but it a bit dim on regular light.  Mine would be for home defense or tactical cqb TCT situations. It also doesnt have the cr123 batter in it but the lr44 config
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Even better yet would be the green laser (in Surefire's case, the L80), however the green weapons lasers are not out yet for general sale.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:11:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Beamshot has one.  I will pass on a Beamshot though.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Ah, didn't know it was finally out.  However, it's a beamshot, I'll pass too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#11]
While some people like Beamshot they are not as rugged, lack tape switches, are not waterproof, and generally are not as well made as others.

If you are going to get a visable laser that is not green Id get the OTAL.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#12]
The green OTAL is exactly what I am waiting on.  The L72 is too bulky and has some other drawbacks, the same would be true for the green L80.  What the hell is taking so long to pump out a green OTAL anyways, it's already expensive so it's not like a higher price is going to hurt them so much...
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Are the green lasers visable during day light hours? I guess the ultimate sight would be a green/red/ir with an IR light source as well in a package the size of the OTAL mounted very close to the center line of the bore... Hummmm dreaming again gotta quit that.

IPSC_GUY sends

P.S. does anyone have any pictures of an OTAL on their rifle?
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top